Sling Pack Recommendations

PocketWater

PocketWater

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a sling pack and was wondering if you guys could give me any recommendations. I currently use a fishpond backpack/chest pack combo. It holds a lot of gear which is great for when you spend the entire day on the water far from your vehicle, or when you are going to camp overnight as I can hold my hammock and a pot and some other things in the backpack. The chest pack is moderately sized but can only hold one fly box. It's also a pain to try and take the backpack off while standing mid stream to access something in it. Normally have to go to the streambank and set it down to get anything like a streamer box or something.

I think a sling pack would be the best of both worlds where it will be out of the way on my back, but I can easily rotate it around to access my gear. I'd also like one that has a net holder or something like that on it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a big fan of using a large size sling pack. I can carry all my fishing stuff including fly boxes, etc. in the front compartment and hang my tippet spools and essential tools on the outside. Everything stays behind me and out of my way until I need it.

On a short trip the main compartment stays mostly empty, but for longer trips I can carry a lunch, water bottle and raincoat. Also I can shed my jacket or shirt and store it in the pack if things warm up or carry an extra shirt or light jacket for when things cool down.

The larger sling is also serves as a great kayak/ boat bag. I don't have to change things over when I switch from wade to boat fishing.

My PA license is attached, so all I have to do is grab my rod and sling pack since and everything I need and use stays in my sling as not to lose or forget anything.

Here's a thread with lots of info on sling packs

afishinado wrote:
I'm a big fan of using a large size sling pack. I can carry all my fishing stuff including fly boxes, etc. in the front compartment and hang my tippet spools and essential tools on the outside. Everything stays behind me and out of my way until I need it.

On a short trip the main compartment stays mostly empty, but for longer trips I can carry a lunch, water bottle and raincoat. Also I can shed my jacket or shirt and store it in the pack if things warm up or carry an extra shirt or light jacket for when things cool down.

The larger sling is also serves as a great kayak/ boat bag. I don't have to change things over when I switch from wade to boat fishing.

My PA license is attached, so all I have to do is grab my rod and sling pack since and everything I need and use stays in my sling as not to lose or forget anything.

Here's a thread with lots of info on sling packs

Thanks. Stupid me...I searched sling packs and saw that thread but only read the first few responses which were all about backpacks so I stopped reading and figured I'd start a thread.

I use an Orvis guide slingpack. I love the thing for the same reasons mentioned above.

I had the smaller non guide version before, but I found I couldnt comfortably carry a raincoat and lunch in it with all the other #censor# I carry. My old lady has a Patagucci slingpack, its super nice, but too small for what Id need.

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/delta-sling-pack/2254

I've been trying to pick between the Fishpond pack above, the Orvis Safe Passage Guide, and the Simms Waypoints Large sling. The Fishpond sling looks like it has a built in net holder slot, and a slot to slide your piece if you carry one.

Love the Orvis guide sling for it's carrying capacity. Way more than I need for an afternoon or evening of fishing but anytime you're carrying extras like food, water, rain gear, hat, gloves, etc. it has good capacity. very comfortable for a long day on the water.

It doesn't have any kind of net holder - just a D ring to clip one to. When you're fishing the net usually hangs out of the way and there are no problems but it would be nice to have a way to more securely attach the net when walking. I keep pondering some way to come up with my own modification.

"... a slot to slide your piece if you carry one."

Don't leave home without your piece.

Vedavoo makes great stuff. The bells and whistles you'll find in most other packs can also be weak points, or, depending on how you fish, just unnecessary. The Beast is big and solid, and won't disappoint.

But this isn't to say Fishpond, Orvis, Simms, etc. are bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Anything that has a strap running from the bottom, under the arm the sling is on, and securing the strap with it. This way it wont swing around on you.

Also have the Orvis guide sling pack and also only use it when I need to carry a raincoat , water and food- mostly for any outings lasting a half day or more away from the vehicle. Maybe a few times a year.

The William and Joseph Confluence pack is also highly regarded.

I was all excited about my Fishpond Summit-just the right size. But when you hang a net on it, it screws up the balance. And I end up with it on my hip instead of slung on my back, and the my stuff gets wet. I switched back to my smaller chest/neck pouch.

McSneek wrote:

It doesn't have any kind of net holder - just a D ring to clip one to. When you're fishing the net usually hangs out of the way and there are no problems but it would be nice to have a way to more securely attach the net when walking. I keep pondering some way to come up with my own modification.

Thats my only complaint with mine. The net hangs weird off of it. I made a piece out of parachord and a welded ring to let the net hang lower out of the way.

I second steveo's notion of personalizing/customization. I think we've kind of come to the place as consumers where we like our products to be "stream ready" off the shelf. A little thought and tooling around with gear can take it from off the rack to tailored.

All that to say, I'd put fit as the top priority with features as a distant second.

Thanks for all the comments guys. After more research I am reading that the Fishpond sling I was looking at is more like a mail mans bag or something where instead of riding on your back, it is more like a bag that rests on your hip so if you wade deeper than above your knees you can get into the territory of your bag getting soaked. Not something I would want to be dealing with...drying out all my gear every time I go out.

Does the Orvis Guide pack ride more on your back so you can wade above your waist and it will remain dry? I think I need to go to International Angler here and try them on before purchasing.

I have the Patagonia Atom pack. Your not packing a lunch and a raincoat in it but it'll carry more then you need for a full day of fishing. It's small and light and stays out of the way.

PocketWater wrote:
Does the Orvis Guide pack ride more on your back so you can wade above your waist and it will remain dry? I think I need to go to International Angler here and try them on before purchasing.

It rides squarely on your back, not on your hip. Has a somewhat waterproof laminate on the bottom that will help keep the contents dry if it contacts water. Go in much deeper that your waist though and things are probably going to get wet. Some of it depends on how you have the straps adjusted thus how high, or low, it sits on your back.

I also have the previous generation Orivs sling pack in the standard size that I use for smallmouth. I've gone in pretty deep with that a couple of times and taken on some water. That version doesn't have the laminate. Had to dry my fly boxes, etc. out afterwards.

I think Orvis makes a nice pack.

The non guide sling sits up higher because its smaller. I can cinch the guide pack up high enough to go almost up to the wading belt on my G3s. Its not very comfortable hiked up that high though. I rarely go in that deep so its not an issue.. Balls deep is about the extent of comfortable wading for me, anything deeper I dont feel as stable or planted

I bought a Simms Headwaters Hip Pack this year. Had been kicking around the idea of getting a hip pack for awhile and was not disappointed. It has more than enough space for all of my boxes and other gear. Only complaint I have on the pack is the padded part of the strap that goes around your neck isn't the most comfortable thing, it will rub a little but that's an easy fix.

I was excited to see the advent of slings. Going through 3, I have the best one i have found but have determined they are not a substitute for a real vest. They are fine for a lesser amount of stuff but things are crammed together. OK for sulfurs but if I got to Penns or some other streams, I use a vest. There are several specifics that i just don't want to go over, but I found it less convenient. It is only a little cooler.

Syl

Back