Question what are the pros and cons of Furled leaders

jay1963

jay1963

Just throwing this out as I am looking to get things for this coming season and want to know what people thought about furled leaders useful or not?.
I fish for trout ,or anything that will eat a bug or tug the line.
Thank you
jay

I bought some furled leaders from Cutthroat a few years ago. Here are some of my observations:
I bought them with tippet rings attached. That makes for easy changing of the tippet. I broke off the tippet ring once though and couldn't manage to retie a new ring and had to trash the whole thing. The leader itself is made of thread and doesn't seem as subtle as traditional mono, so I tend to use a long tippet. With that said, I've caught plenty of fish using them, so I got over the concern about presentation and only blame myself for spooking fish.
You'll have to grease up the leader pretty well to keep it floating though. If you switch up a lot between fishing wets & dries in a single trip it can be tricky to refloat it. Zero leader coil. I haven't had any real issues casting that I'd blame on the leader. All in all, I like what I have.

I have used furled leaders for years. I only used those made of mono. They do not absorb water like those made of thread. The tippet ring makes life on the stream so much easier, just add tippet and you are good to go!

Short summary:

Furled leaders can be another useful arrow in your quiver.

Long explanation:

They are great for certain applications but should not be viewed as a cure-all or all purpose leader. They are excellent for all dry fly fishing or any shallow presentations like fishing emerges or shallow wets. Likewise, they are great for fishing small streams since there is often no need for deep presentations and the superior turnover is helpful in tight quarters.

Personally, I recommend against the furled leaders made of nylon monofilament. They are too springy and are generally too heavily built due to the limitations of the monofilament material. Additionally, I dont find that they float any better or worse than leaders constructed out of thread such as UNI Thread. They all need to have paste flostants applied to keep them floating. The good news is that a paste floatant such as Mucillin will last a long time once applied and will have a cumulative effect after a couple applications and uses. I should note that furled leaders constructed of fluorocarbon are much less stretchy than nylon leaders and can be useful for certain streamer and stillwater applications as they sink readily and can be built to take advantage of their extra mass to turnover a large fly.

Some people will claim good results using furled leaders on nmphing rigs, but this is usually a make-udo or jerry rigged situation. While an untreated furled leader will sink, it does not sink as efficiently as a single strand of mono. Thus those who fish deep with furled leaders are usually using an insanely long "tippet." They would be much better off with a conventionally constructed leader. Preferably one built with their chosen style of nymphing in mind.

Finally, any leader needs to be built with the intended use in mind. This is where a lot of furled leaders come up short. Too many companies are just making leaders that will turnover anything and presentation is not really a consideration. I mentioned many mono furled leaders being built too heavy, but this is really a problem across the board. Furled leaders have a reputation as cure all for turnover but a lot of that is do to with some makers sacrificing presentation.

I have been using furled leaders exclusively for years. I mostly dry fly fish, probably 90% of the time or more.
If I'm gonna nymph, for the couple times a year I do that, I have a dedicated 11' rod.

For dry fly fishing furled leaders cannot be beat. I have used probably 6-8 different manufacturer's leaders. My preference for the last 5 years has been Zen Leaders. I throw a 5-7 ft tippet, sometimes stepped down if needed for light presentations.
I prefer the silk Zen leaders but the standard dry is fine. These leaders float all day. I do have floatant I put on and allow to absorb in but I have never had issues keeping it floating or spooking fish.
I do a lot of fishing on the West Branch of the Delaware and I'm not spooking those fish so I call it good.

I have been using, making & now selling furled leaders for a long time.
I agree with PennKev on many points. I, as PennKev feels, presentation is important. I do offer several tapers with presentation & accuracy in in mind. I offer a light taper/dry, moderate taper/Nymph and
Strong taper/Streamer formulas to help with presentation, accuracy and distance.

Furled leaders went obsolete when mono leaders became available. The main reason they went obsolete was they when made of silk.
They were a lot of work and expensive compared to mono. However with modern materials, Furled leaders offer a lot of benefits to fly fishermen. The will last many seasons for most people. The cast so nice and are more versatile than ever before. People say that they are pricey. Well when you figure out how many leaders you go through in a season, how much time you loose rigging them every time you need to fix or replace that leader. Because you get wind knots, buggy or caught and broken off. You are loosing valuable fishing time. With the furled leader less time is spent rigging. All you have to deal with is the tippet.
And I don’t know about you, But I hate loosing time on the water due to rigging.
If you have any questions, go to my website WWW.FRETZFURLEDLEADERS.com

I have some furled leaders and really like them. I have never made a cast bad enough to put a wind knot in the tippett.

I have used furled leaders for many years. I really like them. They incredibly simplify things on the steam. Just adding a new section of tippet off of the tippet ring is about as simple as it gets. They turn your whole set up over very effectively. Some of them are very durable to the extent of getting several good seasons of service out of one leader.

However, if you happen to bust a tippet ring off of one, in my opinion that furled leader is done. I have never relied on them and in many cases I use a traditional leader setup based on the kind of fishing I’m doing. I was never one to get so reliant on a particular set up that I was totally out of luck if it failed me. Giving yourself options and being more well rounded in using different systems is pretty important in my opinion.

I use uni-thread furled leaders almost exclusively on small creeks. Don't like or use the mono furled leaders. Tie one on and fish the season with it. Grease with muciline green a couple times during the day and it will float like a cork.

Pros - last forever, no memory, no coils, no chinks, no twist, supple, easily castable, great turnover, floats like a greased cork, no knots, no need to swap out when fishing nymphs in small creeks, you will spend more for a furled leader but will spend less on leaders during the year. Swapping one out for a tapered or knotted mono nymphing leader is a snap and the leader can be swapped back without issue.

Cons - they are infinitely adjustable when made. Length, diameter, slope, taper, reduction, number of steps and percent of twist are all different depending on who's making them. You may have to try different leaders to find the best one for you.

As others said, put one in your quiver and give it a try.

I like to make hand furled ones from mono and Fluorocarbon. I don't use them trout but I love them for smallies . I was never a fan of the thread ones but loved the fluro ones I made for streamer fishing they sank like a sink tip .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

I USED to use THREAD furled leaders exclusively for dry fly fishing for trout and occasionally for wet fly/nymph fishing when the fly is smaller or I am fishing a really small creek.

For streamer fishing, serious wet fly/nymph fishing and all of my warmwater exploits I much prefer regular knotted mono or fluoro leaders. A couple of things I can mention about furled leaders that I like & dislike:

1. The "spray" thing is WAY over dramatized. All leaders will hold a tiny bit of water at knots and such and spray when false cast. All that needs to be done to negate this is pick-up, make at least one forward cast before presentation and DON'T make that first forward cast over the fish. When the fish are spooky, I do this with every type of leader I use.

2. I like furled leaders long for medium to large streams, about 7 feet is my preference and I have short 3 foot versions made up for small streams. I use no other lengths.

3. I like to add one or two transitional sections of mono plus a tippet, which gives much more flexibility for length, tweaking turnover or going to a heavier tippet versus just adding a single really long tippet section. It also saves on tippet material as my tippet length is shorter overall.

4. I ONLY use furled leaders made of UNI thread and I like the furl to be tight. I HATE the mono or fluoro furled leaders because they twist up like crazy if you get a snag that abruptly becomes free or pull them through your fingers to dress, dry or clean them. They also don’t float as well when dressed and spray more if that matters.

5. I clean my thread furled leaders with soap & water when I clean my fly line and redress them when dry. They seem to last forever with a little care.

6. I like a loop on the back end to facilitate swapping leaders since I prefer regular knotted mono leaders for heavy flies and I like SMALL (1.5) tippet rings on the tippet end. I don’t like big tippet rings (2.0 – 2.5) on my leaders and have gone so far as to swap out bigger ones on leaders I bought. I won't buy from furlers who only offer bigger tippet rings.

7. I have found that Shorb loops on the fly line end can slip over time allowing the loop to get so small that it can become very difficult to swap leaders. My remedy is to put a tiny drop of UV Knot Sense on the junction of the Shorb loop when I first get the leaders from whomever I am buying them from.

8. I ALWAYS carry a 1.5 mm crochet needle with me to gently undo the occasional wind knot. While a knot won’t weaken or effect leader performance, I can tell you from experience that your fingers will NOT do when you get a knot in a thread furled leader.

The funny thing is after all of this, I found something I like WAY better than thread furled leaders, a Terenzio Silk Blend or Artificial Silk Leader.

They turnover better, they float WAY better when greased, you can get knots out more easily, they are more durable, they don’t spray any more than a regular extruded leader; they are a DREAM to use with a real silk line (if you use them) and Terenzio will make them in any length upon request.

They are obvious a lot harder to get; you need to order direct from Terenzio in Italy (which wasn't a big problem before but may be a problem now?) however, they are worth the cost, time & effort for me.

FYI Zen Outfitters is making silk furled leaders.

GeneBeam wrote:
FYI Zen Outfitters is making silk furled leaders.
Interesting, although the leaders are furled not woven like Terenzio's which also makes me wonder why Zen doesn't try woven since they are making silk fly lines (which I haven't tried and probably won't if they are putting a whipped loop on the end).

I tried some of Zen's regular furled leaders which while nice, they are not my favorites. IMHO they have too big of a tippet ring and I'm not overly keen on the pre-treating of their products with the floatant of THEIR choice.

Have you tried or know anything about Phoenix Classics Braided Leaders?

Some guys love furled leaders, some hate them, and others don't have much of an opinion either way. I'm in the third group. I've fly fished a long time and while I have used braided nylon leaders and did buy, and fish a furled leader for a few days, I've caught thousands of wild, educated, trout on standard tapered nylon leaders. Not fluorocarbon. I don't believe a trout ever refused my fly because I was using a nylon leader. Trout refuse to eat my fly because the presentation was not good enough. If you present the correct fly, in the correct manor, the trout will eat your fly. I can't speak to nymphing - my comments relate to casting to rising trout.

GeneBeam wrote:
Have you tried or know anything about Phoenix Classics Braided Leaders?
I don't know a thing, but they look a lot different (twisted versus woven) than the Terenzio leaders I use.

wbranch wrote:
Some guys love furled leaders, some hate them, and others don't have much of an opinion either way. I'm in the third group. I've fly fished a long time and while I have used braided nylon leaders and did buy, and fish a furled leader for a few days, I've caught thousands of wild, educated, trout on standard tapered nylon leaders. Not fluorocarbon. I don't believe a trout ever refused my fly because I was using a nylon leader. Trout refuse to eat my fly because the presentation was not good enough. If you present the correct fly, in the correct manor, the trout will eat your fly. I can't speak to nymphing - my comments relate to casting to rising trout.
At least for me, it has NOTHING to do with presentation, educated fish, or what the leader is made of; it's all about turnover AND having the butt of my leader float when dry fly fishing which is important to me.

I was a huge fan of braided butt leaders when they were the rage because the brand I favored had wax in the butt which allowed them to float.

Greasing a regular mono leader helps, but it pales in comparison to a greased thread furled leader or one of Terenzio's silk blend leaders.

YMMV

Bamboozle wrote;

it has NOTHING to do with presentation, educated fish,

Would you please elaborate a bit on that statement? What is the NOTHING you are referring to?

Meaning it doesn't matter what kind of leader you use? To tell you the truth I never gave any thought to whether the butt of my leader is floating. I'm pretty sure it is since my fly line is clean and floating so I'd assume at least a few feet of the butt are floating if the cast didn't break the surface tension and cause it to sink. I'm pretty much all dry fly for wild trout but will fish anything for hatchery fish and steelhead.

Are you suggesting, or stating, that presentation is a minor aspect of catching trout on a dry fly?

wbranch wrote:
Are you suggesting, or stating, that presentation is a minor aspect of catching trout on a dry fly?
No, what I mean is, I can modify the presentation of any leader so for me, it is the turnover and the characteristics of the material a leader is made of that is most important.

In regards to a floating butt: When dry fly fishing, when parts of your leader are sunk, it makes pick-up that much harder, messier and your fly will have a tendency to get pulled under the water as you pick-up, soaking it just a bit more.

When it floats, you can pick-up your line much easier. A long floating portion like you have with a greased thread furled leader is even better.

Bamboozle wrote;

When it floats, you can pick-up your line much easier. A long floating portion like you have with a greased thread furled leader is even better.

Thanks for the clarification. Another condition I have never thought very much about. I'm beginning to think I'm a careless fly fisher, lol.

Typically I use 9' rods and 95% of my dry flies are winged with Trouthunter CDC. At the end of a drift I kind of extend my casting arm and in one motion lift the line and fly off of the water and start the back casting stroke. Once in awhile the fly does get pulled under water and I always wondered why that was happening. I guess the answer is most of my leader has sunk and as I lift the rod the fly gets pulled under water. A couple of false casts sheds the water off of the fly and I put it back down.

Back