Minor rant and then a question?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

OK, so it's been a couple of years since I bought a new fly line from a retailer but when did all the line manufacturers get together and increase all their prices by 30% plus in many cases SHORTEN the length of trout lines to 80 - 82 feet.

Hell, a Cortland 444 Peach line is now $ 56.00 but it's no different than it was when it was $ 42.00. Talk about a double whammy!!!

It's not that the extra 8 or 10 feet is essential to trout fishing by any stretch, but all my reels are already prefilled with backing and lines that need replaced. I don't like the fact that the extra length of line is missing because it results in a reel that doesn't look full and I'm anal retentive enough to be bothered by that.

Having said all that does anyone care to recommend any relatively inexpensive fly lines that work for you? By inexpensive I mean $ 25.00 - $ 50.00, I'm not going to replace 3 or 4 lines with $ 75.00 lines right now, or ever.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

allen fly fishing...
see add over here ---->>>>

Dear David,

Do you use fly lines from Allen Fly Fishing, if so, how do you like them?

I can find all sorts of lower priced lines out there to try. I'm not necessarily looking for the lowest price but rather lower priced lines that people are satisfied to use.

A recommendation based on personal use is what I am looking for the most.

Regards,

No, but I'm in the same situation as you. I will be ordering a new line in a few days. I've heard enough good things about allen lines from enough reliable people on here that I'm convinced to give it a try!

hook and hackle offers a good line as well, I have a couple and can't find anything wrong with them

I can't remember the last time I paid list price for a fly line.
I was finding Orvis wonder lines at half off for a long time, as they kept changing their composition I guess. And they're pretty nice lines, although they tended to be stiff in cold weather.
Last winter, Madison River Co had their ridge lines discounted to $30 - and I bought one. I like it better than the wonderlines. A little more limp, and shoots very nicely.

I have an Allen 8wt line that I use for Salmon/Steelhead and it's just as nice as my $100 Rio Gold.

Tim,
hey give Hook & Hackle a call and give Allen Flyfishing a call see if they will give you a deal on a line ,better yet why not ask for a line to try from each in a line weight you wanted and then give a review.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Last few lines I've bought have all been clearance lines,with the exception of some rebranded SA=as-LLBeans lines, which I don't care for.

Those are all 82' lines, too. I remain suspicious of the short lines for that reason.

I can vouch for the Allen lines. I have one in 4wt and it's very nice. I've had it on my reel since September, and I've fished with it quite a few times. Still floats like a champ, smooth through the guides, and no signs of wear.
The only possible con I can think if, and it may be due to the colder weather, is it has a bit of memory, i.e. it has a bit of a curl to it, sometimes.
Either way, it's definitely worth checking out. If I'm not mistaken, Justin offers the line at a discounted price to board members. $12 or so.

I am on board with hook and hackle. Cortland line renamed

Can't beat the Hook and Hackle line Mr.Murphy

How about some of this Tim?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351

tomgamber wrote:
How about some of this Tim?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351

One and two weight only.

where do you see that...in the drop down menu it lists 1-7?

ah, I see...hadn't actually tried to put one in the basket...bummer. I'm sure if you search for more than the 30 seconds I did to find that, a bargain could be had...but I feel his pain. I have never paid full price for a line so...

Dear Tom,

That's a great price and I have had really good luck with Orivs Silverlabel lines but they only have 1 and 2 weight lines left. I am in dire need of lines in 4 and 6 weight since those are my most used rods and oldest flylines.

I think I'll give Hook and Hackle a try. From what I've heard here and elsewhere, their Hi-Floater is a Cortland 444 in olive instead of peach.

I'll probably also pick up a line or too from Justin at Allen Fly Fishing and see how they work out. I need a 5 weight and a 7 weight line too.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions,

Let us know how you like the H&H line...I have bought a couple of these as well. For the price they were worth the risk and had no real gripe with them.

http://stores.fortackle.com/-strse-Fly-Lines/searchpath/91105600/start/1/total/19/Categories.bok

I've been lucky with line...I had a 3333 that lasted over 10 years before I replaced it...I won a sharkskin line a few years ago...I got an Orvis line on sale once for 20 bucks and another WF Intermediate 8wt for less than 20 from Orvis as well. I have one Cabelas line and its as good as anything else I have used too.

tomgamber wrote:
where do you see that...in the drop down menu it lists 1-7?

ah, I see...hadn't actually tried to put one in the basket...bummer. I'm sure if you search for more than the 30 seconds I did to find that, a bargain could be had...but I feel his pain. I have never paid full price for a line so...

Sierra Trading Post and Redtruck are great places to start, as is the bargain cave at Cabelas.

Dear Tom,

Thanks for that second suggestion too. At those prices for a factory 2nd if they last a season I'm good.

I haven't bought a new fly line from a shop in over a decade. That's why I was so surprised at the price increase and the change in length for many lines.

I've had great luck on various message boards buying NIB lines for half price or so but lately the pickings have been getting slim. I need a couple of DT lines and it seems that almost nobody uses them anymore?

Regards,

Back