Long nymphing specialty rod

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

Around holiday time I may be int the market for a longer rod to enhance my nymphing. I would like to get input on rod length, weight and brand preferences for this rod.

Currently I own the following (among others not related to trout fishing):
Sage LL 8'1" 5 WT
Sage VSP 9' 5 WT
Sage XP 9' 8 WT

I use the VSP 85% of the time. It's a nice all around rod for trout.

I have a fishing buddy who uses a longer rod, maybe 10'6" or 11' (3 or 4 WT), and regularly has better drifts and success while nymphing. So, I'm looking to level the playing field a bit.

Please let me know what you all think regarding this. With the holidays coming up (I just saw a Christmas ad!) this may be of interest to others, too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Around holiday time I may be int the market for a longer rod to enhance my nymphing. I would like to get input on rod length, weight and brand preferences for this rod.

Currently I own the following (among others not related to trout fishing):
Sage LL 8'1" 5 WT
Sage VSP 9' 5 WT
Sage XP 9' 8 WT

I use the VSP 85% of the time. It's a nice all around rod for trout.

I have a fishing buddy who uses a longer rod, maybe 10'6" or 11' (3 or 4 WT), and regularly has better drifts and success while nymphing. So, I'm looking to level the playing field a bit.

Please let me know what you all think regarding this. With the holidays coming up (I just saw a Christmas ad!) this may be of interest to others, too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My go-to rod for trout in all medium sized streams to large rivers is a 10' 4wt.

I'm not the type of angler that goes back to the vehicle, I'm pretty much out for the day. Given that fact, I choose a rod that can pretty much do it all > dries, nymphs, wets, streamers. Let's face it, we never really know what the hatches will bring, if any, and what the fish are looking for on any given day.

My 10' 4wt rod casts well near as well as far. It works well for mending and roll casting and is a great rod for tightline, highstick or even indy nymphing, and it's really shines for dry flying fishing as well.

Consider buying a more versatile rod rather than a specialty nymph rod that does only one thing well. All your fishing will improve. Good luck.

I have a 9' 5wt and a 10' 4wt and I find myself splitting the time using them roughly 50/50. I really do like the extended reach that the 10' rod gives me. The 10' 4wt is a TFO BVK and I suggest it to anybody looking for a longer rod. It is less expensive and that helps especially if you don't know how often it will get fished.

If you really want to go for it, the new t and t contact rood is supposed to be really special for nymphing.

I use a 11' 4wt or 11' 5wt for this when high sticking. I also carry my dry line reel and flip it over when there is surface activity. It works well enough that I'm not thinking I should have brought 2 rods (on extended ventures from my truck) The trade off in casting drys is made up in the precision in nymphing with the extra length.

11' with the right line is deadly.

I can catch a log on a nymph with any rod in any location. Nothing special needed... :-D

I use a 10 ft 4 wt to do most of my nymphing around logs

My go to stick is a 10 ft 4 weight helios. I use it 90% of the time I'm trout fishing. Longer rod, better drift. There is a huge difference between a 9 foot and 10 foot rod, I wish I had known this many years ago.

Afish,

That sounds like my approach. I tried carrying more than one rod but found it untenable (PIA, really). Rising fish is my shiny thing, even when I'm doing well nymphing. It would be nice to switch gears and be effective.

I'm trying to make a shift to more simple approach, as in carry less stuff. I'm still working that out. I may need a 12 step program... :roll:

ryan,

I'm considering the Recon 4-weight 10' Fly Rod. The Helios is a bit steep for me right now. Your experience with the Helios helps.

And, I would like to support my local fly shop, A&G Outfitters. They've handled a few Orvis returns for me and, between the shop and Orvis, I am very satisfied.

I appreciate the replies.

Please keep the info coming. I have the luxury of time to decide.

I own two long fly rods, a now discontinued Cortland "Brook" 10 foot 5 weight and a Echo 10 foot 6 inch 4 weight with the optional Competition Kit (two extra 6 inch rod sections, fighting butt and counterweights) The Echo is the best IMO if you intend to use the rod for all around come what may fly fishing. The Cortland is more of a specialized nymphing rig. I enjoy fishing both however. If you can find a 10 foot "Brook" on the used market, buy it, I don't think you will regret it.

I recently bought a 10' 5wt TFO pro off this site. I love it.

PatrickC wrote:
I can catch a log on a nymph with any rod in any location. Nothing special needed... :-D

I always thought St. Croix's Imperial line of rods cast a bit like a log, but others love them. Classic case of YMMV.

My father has the recon in a 10 ft 4 weight, great stick. The only thing it doesnt do as well as the helios is cast dries. That being said it still does a good job. I have the original helios you may be able to find a deal on one now that they have moved on to the h2, just a thought. Any ten footer or longer you go to you won't regret, just another weapon in the arsenal.

My favorite "Log" rod is a 14' birch (harvested in spring after sap runs) tie/reel on only flat mono to hand tied stretched cat gut leader to beaver spun San Juan modified woolie bugger ;)

I'm another helios 10' 4 wt believer. I mostly nymph fish, but it works great with dries also. Use mine full time except on the smaller cricks like Clarks Creek. I'd look for a used quality rod instead of a new lesser quality rod.

To answer the question regarding line which is just as important to high sticking as the choice of rod. Overall the key is to get a line that is light as possible so it doesn't sag back down through the guides and allows you to keep it off the water as much as possible without adding un-natural drag or movement to the fly.

I started with

Rio Euro Line
6' of tapered fluorocarbon
15" bright colored fluro line. this is used as your sighter. I used a Tenkara Fluro level line as its bright as hell. You can also use coil sighters, but never found the need.
Tippet Ring (useful to swapping out tipper without eating into your sighter line)
5-6’ of 4x / 5x tippet
Optional: tag line 6-8” about 3’ about the end for a second fly

If you want to skip the $70 for the specialty euro line this works just as good (technically illegal for Nymphing competitions but no impact to me)

Any flyline, then 30’ of 20lb floro
15" bright colored fluro line
Tippet Ring (useful to swapping out tipper without eating into your sighter line)
5-6’ of 4x / 5x tippet
Optional: tag line 6-8” about 3’ about the end for a second fly

Don’t use Mono line, its not as dense as flouro and harder to use in breezy conditions.

I use the same rod as Afish, Biggie, and RyanSheehan. I concur with their opinions. If you have the $$$, get the Helios II 10' 4wt. It's the most versatile rod I own, and it is a fantastic rod for nymphing. My 3 and 5 weights have been lonely ever since I picked it up.

Back