Chest Pack

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

So I've always been a vest guy because I carry a lot of gear and tippet with me at all times. I've decided I want to get a chest pack for days when I don't want to take so much gear but still plenty of tippet. I tried the Orvis one and it didn't fit right. I'm tall and slim and the straps could not tighten enough for a good fit. I've looked online at simms and umpqua but figured I would see if someone can spit some knowledge at me. I noticed that none of them seem to be waterproof does this cause a problem? I do wade very aggressively so that is a concern.

Oh and does anyone have a net rigged up with one?

Ryan, one thing I see is you said you wade "aggressively". Now I know the term is subjective, but when I wade aggressively I want to be able to see my feet if the stream bottom requires and the water allows. With a chest pack (box) I couldn't see my feet (no I don't have a gut that prevents it).

BrookieChaser wrote:
Ryan, one thing I see is you said you wade "aggressively". Now I know the term is subjective, but when I wade aggressively I want to be able to see my feet if the stream bottom requires and the water allows. With a chest pack (box) I couldn't see my feet (no I don't have a gut that prevents it).

Interesting...never thought of that before and makes lots of sense! I always hated the look of the chest fly boxes.

I have tried about every box and vest combination I can think of. I most often use a Goertzen chest thing. I called him and had it sized for an Umpqua Weekender box that I can carry a few hundred flies.
I just load the box before each trip and have a few of each of the best patterns I expect and the standards I never leave home without. Its a double sided box. One side has BWOs, midges, ants and Beatles and other "always have" bugs. The other side has the "daily expected" bug I anticipate seeing.
As for the net I have a sturdy wading belt from Simms. I have a Smith Creek net carrier think on it. Even when wading deep on the West Branch it stays put until I might need it.
The Goertzen has a place I carry 7 spools of tippet, hemos, nippers and nail knot tools and Umpqua Dry magic and Frogs Fanny. I carry my split **** in my wader pocket with a few extra leaders, done.

bigjohn58 wrote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

Interesting...never thought of that before and makes lots of sense! I always hated the look of the chest fly boxes.

I used a vest back-in-the-day and tried a chest pack (the not seeing your feet when walking and wading is a very valid point) and have settled on using a sling pack for the last 5 years or so.

I hang my tippet spools, nippers, forceps, floatant and a small fly box on the strap, keeping them up-front; leaving all the bulky stuff to remain behind me and out of the way like a raincoat, extra fly boxes, spare tippet spools and leaders, headlight, water bottle, lunch, etc. In addition, I often fish early and wear a light jacket or shirt, when it warms up I take it off and have a place to store it out of the way. And when I fish in the afternoon, I can stuff a shirt or light jacket in my pack and put it on when it cools down in the evening.

As far as wading, my sling pack, when properly adjusted rides higher than just about any vest. Plus the entire bottom of it is made of waterproof material so it can be dipped in the water when deep wading. You can't fish in chin deep water, so when crossing in really deep areas, I simply carry my slingpack over my shoulder and cross.

I have use a 100% waterproof sling pack that I use for saltwater fishing since the waves wet it all the time. After a day in the ocean, I just hose it off well with freshwater and hang it up to dry.

Unless you've got some unknown to me waterproof vest, why would you need a waterproof chest pack? Seems like the odds of soaking one vs the other would be the same regardless of wading style....and I also like to see what I'm stepping on/into, so I've stayed away from obstructing the view.

I have a Fishpond waist/chest pack that does what you describe. Mine is bigger than what it sounds like you are looking for but its completely replaced my vest so... They do make smaller ones that I think would serve your purpose better. Its proven to be well made and very durable. I would look at what this brand has to offer.

I have gone trough vest's, chest packs and sling packs. vest ,I still have but seldom use. I find them to restraining. Chest pack's ,I couldn't see my feet when wading, felt uncomfortable. Fanny pack's , I didn't like at all, only use one for the salt. I love a sling pack , holds what i need, water bottle , net when i take one, out of the way when wading and casting. You should check them out.

My son and I used this sling pack for the past 6 months and both of us love it. I carry several fly boxes, floatant, split shot, tippet, spare forceps, etc., and a water bottle that I attach with a carabiner clip to the sling. Adjust the sling for deeper wading. Bought them on sale for about $20. Everything I need fits.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-SLING-PACK/2459264.uts?slotId=1

I've settled on sling/lumbar pack and keep my forceps, flotation, tipped and nippers on a convertible lanyard that hangs from my waders straps so it doesn't interfere with spinning the pack around.

I'm just thinking a chest pack seems to sit lower. Parts of my vest are always wet, other parts are always dry. My vest does have a waterproof pocket but I guess you're right it shouldn't be a big deal.

I never thought about the vision restriction with a chest pack but it makes sense. I've tried a sling but went back to my vest. Thanks for the help everyone.

If you really like your vest, a lot of the guys out west wore those shorty vests. Nice for the float tube and for "aggressive" waders.

Not sure I've seen a shorty vest, I will take a look thanks.

ryansheehan wrote:

All simms vests or cut short for deep wading.

And I'm pretty sure Orvis still makes a shortie version of the Tac-L-Pak vest

dryflyguy wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

All simms vests or cut short for deep wading.

And I'm pretty sure Orvis still makes a shortie version of the Tac-L-Pak vest

Gotcha, I have a Simms vest already, looking for something a little more compact. I looked over the fishpond site and they make quite a few different chestpacks. I've narrowed it down to that or the Umpqua. I like that the umpqua has a net ring built in to the shoulder strap.

i use a filson foul weather vest when I wade and I adjust it so it rides really high. If you prefer a vest over a chest pack and want similar storage to a chest pack, this might be an option. I don't carry a net when I wade but I think there is a D ring or something you can attach a net to on the back.

I really don't like wearing any type of vest or waders so when I can get away without wearing one or both, I often do.

Ryan, I recently parted ways from my umpqua 500 overlook chest pack of a few years. It served me well, wasn't waterproof except for a small pocket for a cell phone. I am average height medium build and it fit nice and high and was comfortable for being a chest pack. Had no issues with seeing my feet. It had plenty of space and can rig a tippet holder across the top of the pack. They do make a newer model not sure how it is, but if you can pick up an older model would be worth trying out. I did take a few dunks with it everything got wet except the little pocket, but don't take anything I don't plan on getting wet.

I, too, have been through the gambit as far a vest/hip packs/chest packs go. My problem is the bulky feeling when wearing heavy clothing and submerging my equipment when water is high. About 5 years ago, after a miserable cold winter day on the stream, I was putting some backpacking equipment away and saw my Ribz pack. The Ribz pack is made to keep gear more on your sides and in easy access. I use them when backpacking and hiking. Surprisingly, they hold a lot of gear and distribute it in a way that it feels less bulky. Now, I use that to carry most of my equipment under my waders (Due to being pretty streamlined) and use a small chest pack (Just bought the Umpqua Rock Creek pack with 550 cu in removable backpack last fall) for all my fly fishing. If anyone is like me, I highly suggest looking into the Ribz pack. Not made specifically for fly fishing but it's much better than any vest I ever had.

I use the Fishpond chest pack + small backpack combo. Like it a lot and is very adjustable, although can be a pain when you have on a wading jacket, which I put underneath the pack. Keep a couple fly boxes and essentials in the chest pack and the backpack holds my extra "just-in-case" flies. Not waterproof, although I aggressively wade as well, and the backpack has only gotten slightly wet a few times. Quality product, compared to an off-brand "no-name" chestpack + mini backpack I got a while ago that was shot after a year, torn threads + bindings, basically fell apart.

Back