mini jigs

sandfly

sandfly

Tied these honey bug mini jigs for spring waters.

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
They're neat looking little guys, I've heard of them but can't remember from where.

I thought mini jigs were short little irish dances, I gotta say I've never fished a jig hook, what are the benefits?

They supposedly don't hang up as much.

I think another important note to add about jig hooks is the action. All the weight is focused at the very front(eye is above and behind the weight) and this creates alot of action and "jigging" of your fly. The action is why alot of guys use them, I believe. I cant say I have noticed significantly fewer hang ups using jigs over traditional hooks. I am not saying they dont reduce the number of hang ups in certain situations, but it has never been night and day for me.

Any fly with all the weight at the front will have a jigging action, not exactly the motion of a nympn, I still don't see the benefit

I use them alot in the local lakes for trout. 9-12 foot leader with a 5' tippet. indicator at the tippet connection or above. small twitches to make it work, great on trout. do the same with beadhead midge larva. for stream fishing I can bounce bottom and I lose maybe one or two compared to 12 nymphs in a morning.

I got a couple of these in my fly box from my first visit up to your place, Bob. Not sure how to fish them though. Those things are HEAVY!

Nice to see them - I love jigs. See the jig hook discussion for more. Just tied some Killer bugs on jig hooks and will see how they do.

In the simple jig vein, I like a Green Weenie (the kind with the loop tail) tied on 1/64 oz jig. These will flutter slightly as they sink and some days it really draws the fish.

blueheron wrote:
Any fly with all the weight at the front will have a jigging action, not exactly the motion of a nympn, I still don't see the benefit

True, most will, but the subtle shift of weight concentration amplifies this motion. I suppose I will throw another question back to you concerning natural nymphs-- how many insects do you know of with a bright orange collar? I dont think I know of any, but hotspots can absolutely kill at times. I dont fish many jig flies, but I am sure under certain circumstances they are extremely effective.

That my friend is what all those bead head flies do too. same for tungsten beads..but every one swears by them....

Jig flies act just like a bead head fly except the hook point is up....

Most fly fishermen I know swear by bead heads, but swear at jig heads. Jigs may be a little unconventional - but beadheads aren't really all that traditional either.

And if you use jig hooks and weight them yourself you can put the weight in the middle and get a different action. Some days the jig action turns them on; other days it doesn't.

Back