Which Vise?

J

jmflyfisher

I have a Regal vise that I've been using for over 25 years. It does a great job, but lately I've been seeing a lot of Renzetti and Dyna-King rotary style vises in some of the tying videos I've watching. Is there an advantage to one of vises when it comes to tying big streamers and bass bugs? I can use mine in a rotary fashion, but have never really tried.

I've been using a Thompson A vise for close to 40 years. I know there had been great advances in vises since then, actually tried the rotaries and went back to old faithful, just couldn't get the hang of a rotary but truthfully didn't put all that much effort into learning.

If you stop in a Cabela's or Bass Pro shops I'm sure they will let you take one for a test drive. Maybe it will work for you maybe it won't. Never know unless you try.

jmflyfisher wrote:
Is there an advantage to one of vises when it comes to tying big streamers and bass bugs? I can use mine in a rotary fashion, but have never really tried.

I'm not sure there is much of an advantage.

I tie a lot of big streamers, salt stuff, and bass flies and, although I currently use a rotary vise, I still wrap my turns old school. I've tried the rotary function and have not found it especially compelling. Perhaps this is due to being an older fly tier like many of you... who may just have muscle memory and a tendency to stick with what has always worked.

Agree that giving one a try at a shop or from a friend would be helpful. Keep in mind that, if you get one, you can strill wrap the old way.

If you don't mind spending a little I would go with ths stonfo transformer https://shop.flyfishsd.com/products/stonfo-transformer-vise?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=16714293061&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlvHS6J_Z1QIVxiOBCh2KYwHsEAQYASABEgIAJfD_BwE

With the three different head attachments that change over in seconds, the Stonfo Transformer works well.

The Streamer head is full rotary and has close to a foot of backspace and a natural shelf to use for tying large flies and articulated flies.

The Rotary head works well for all types of flies down to the smallest of trout flies

I don't tie tube flies, but there is a head for that too if you are so inclined to tie that type of fly.

It's well put together and is likely all the vise you will ever need for any type of fly you plan to tie > from midges to muskie flies.

Attachments

• Stonfo.jpeg
    Stonfo.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 2
  • stonfo_transformer_2.jpg
    stonfo_transformer_2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 4
Here is a past thread I started discussing the usefulness of tying with a rotary vise:

Rotary vs. a Stationary vise

I started tying with a Thomson stationary vise a long time ago. It did the job, but I eventually graduated to a Regal vise. That worked well for a few years, until I stopped into my local fly shop and watched someone tie on a Renzetti rotary vise. I tried it in the store and bought a Renzetti Traveler that day. Since then, I’ve tied thousands of flies on the Renzetti from 3/0 saltwater to size 30 midges, and have never looked back.

There are things that can be done better and easier on a rotary vise. I believe tying with a rotary can improve the appearance of your flies and make dubbing, ribbing, palmering and hackling easier, and quicker in some cases.

For example, a common problem is the hackle feather twists when you tying a traditional Catskill fly or palmer hackle on a wooly bugger or EHC. On a stationary vise you must use the wrap over, hand off, and wrap under method, which often causes the hackle to twist during the hand-off or wrap-under. This problem is virtually eliminated on a rotary since you can hold and maintain tension on the hackle feather and keep it perpendicular to the body while rotating the fly. You don’t lose sight of the hackle or lose tension on the feather as the fly is rotated. In the case of palmering, maintaining an angle while rotating makes the spacing of the hackle near perfect every time.

When dubbing on a stationary vise, you must dub a short noodle on the thread, wrap around and dub the thread again and again. The noodle must remain short since you need enough clearance to wrap the dubbing and bobbin over and around. When dubbing on a rotary, you can dub an extra long noodle on your thread, let it hang off the table and rotate the fly to dub the entire body while maintaining even tension, and without having to reapply more dubbing to the thread. Also, when tying on a rotary, you are able to the see the fly 360 degrees as you rotate with no blind spot in the back.

Ribbing a fly is also simplified on a rotary. You simply grab the ribbing material, hold it at the proper angle, maintain tension and rotate the fly. The spacing is perfect when the angle is maintained, and again you get to see the fly as it is wrapped 360 degrees. Same as above when tying a chenille or other similar type body material.

If you tie any flies with epoxy or the new quick setting UV stuff, a rotary is just what you need. The fly stays parallel in the vise while you rotate it to apply the goop evenly, grab your UV light, and rotate the fly a few times until it sets up.

Another advantage of a rotary vise is the bobbin cradle can be used to keep the thread and bobbin out of your way when performing certain tying steps.

I love my Renzetti Rotary. I've tied many thousands of flies on it in the 20+ years I've owned it. The vise still performs today as well as the day I bought it. I would consider this vise a 5 star purchase, but there are other quality rotary vises out there.

My whole point of this post is to let fellow tyers know that the rotary function has some function; if you choose to use it. Good luck.

If you already have a regal that rotates just get a coat hanger and make your self a boom if you dont already have one.I have a dynaking and use the rotory function on a regular basis its great for spinning 2,3 and 4 different materials at once.You already have a great vise just use it.

I used to tie on a Peak rotary, but use a regular Regal now. The only advantage for me with the Peak was palmering Marabou for streamers. Canting the hook shank toward you, blowing the fibers back, and using the rotary function to palmer will not trap any fibers.

All in all, for my tying at least, I didn't really find an advantage with one, as time is lost half hitching or whipping prior to using the rotary function.

I have a rotary and an old Thompson. About the only thing useful for me on the rotary is being able to look at the other side of the fly, which I rarely ever do. For me a rotary is worthless but if I were to buy another vise I would get a rotary for no good reason other than I might, during the life of the vise, want to look at the other side of the fly.

I have a renzetti traveler and and hmh Spartan. I like the renzetti better because I use the rotary to wrap floss for streamers and pheasant tail fibers for nymphs. I think the hmh is built better. It wortates 360 degrees but isn't a true rotary. I had a regal but gave it away to someone starting out. In the 200 price range I'd say if you use rotary, renzetti traveler. If you don't regal. If you want a compromise that is well built, him spartan.

Back