Vises

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

I’m no artist but hopefully my ties get me and my newbie amigos some fish ... very much enjoy tying. I’m thinking of looking at some vises (and possibly upgrading) if I pass a shop in my travels. So I'm prepared ....

What should I look for?

Vises Under $200 Who U Got (would go up a lil more if I really like a vise)?

Why u got’em?

Rotary yes, no, why?

Much appreciated and will have some more ?'s as I do my own research.

If you want a "true" rotary vise, you buy a Renzetti.
If you don't want one, you buy a Regal.
If you want to come in under budget, you can't beat the Griffin Spider.

That said, your garden variety Thompson A clone will continue to work just fine.

Every post after this will simply hash out those same facts in long, drawn out arguments that don't really matter and inevitably circle back around each other repeatedly.

You spend your money, you make your choice.

I have a Peak Rotary Vise....quick google search shows they are still $150. I have no complaints at all....the base is sturdy, has a true rotary function, claims to hold 2/0 to 24 (I have had 4 3xl to 24 easily), decent looking.

There are probably better vises cosmetically but this functions really well.

I don't use the rotary feature to wrap many materials as I find it slower for me but I do use it to view the back of the fly and tie materials on in different places easier. I will not tie on a non-rotary vise.

Overall I would say it is a good buy but if you are new to tieing and really enjoying it and want to progress then you may be better served picking 5-10 new fly patterns to learn and investing in nice materials for them then getting a new vise

+1 on the Peak Rotary same as above

I use a Danvise. It's a rotary and it's relatively in expensive. I replaced my original one, it lasted ten years, two years ago and it cost me $80. I've used it to tie flies from size 32, many years ago, up to 6/0.

I have the Griffin odyssey cam jaws. It's 360 rotary and good strong jaws. It's around $150 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if something happened to this one. But their lifetime warranty should cover most everything.

Stagger

I have the Renzetti Traveler.

Main reason for me upgrading was the inability to get my fat fingers where I wanted them using the vise that came with the kit.

The rotary function has not gotten the use it deserves, but I like it for turning the fly to look at all sides of it.

Is it more vise than I have skills to use to the fullest extent? Certainly is. Will I grow into it? I plan to.

Check out a shop where they will let you tie a couple of quick patterns on different vises and/or see who from the forum you can hook up with.
You're certainly welcome to drive up and try mine. :)

My vise is very old, inherited from my uncle. It looks similar to a Cabelas vise and came with 2 additional sets of jaws, clamp and heavy base. I really like it but I wish it was a rotary b/c I'm always looking at the other side of the fly. Probably b/c I just started tying.

If I were to buy a new one it would be the Renzetti Cam Series Traveler Vise b/c it's a rotary and I like the price: $199.

rz-2203-1.jpg

I've been through 3 vises in about 5 years. I settled on a Renzetti and really like it. I use the rotary function quite a bit for all kinds of materials.

gfen wrote:

That said, your garden variety Thompson A clone will continue to work just fine.

Every post after this will simply hash out those same facts in long, drawn out arguments that don't really matter and inevitably circle back around each other repeatedly.

^I agree with Gary 100%

I use small vise grips welded to a 3/8 rod. Its my favorite vise.

Gfen wrote:

What are the differences in a “true” rotary vise and one that isn’t?

What does a rotary vise accomplish compared to one that doesn't rotate?

Gfen wrote:

Under budget is always good

Gfen wrote:

When the hook on the vise doesn’t come loose it does work fine. That said; I’m just looking and thinking. I don’t have a fly shop close to my home so I would like to know what to look for, questions to ask, etc .. this way I will just order when I’m ready.

Gfen wrote:

Isn’t that what usually happens when one seeks info on a message board and knows many will have different opinions?

Gfen wrote:

Nah .. I thought I would bring Dawg and HA along, give'em my CC and ask them to pick one out for me. Maybe I'll throw in a rod of their choice in there as well
;-)

I never forget its just a hook holder. Been using a Thompson model a for 25 years of hard use tying saltwater bucktails and beginning fly tying last summer. Still works just fine. Inherited about a 20 year old Griffith superior rotary but not true rotary. I use the rotary to turn and look at the fly. Before inheriting the vice I almost bought an anvil true rotary. Glad I hesitated because I just don't see the true rotary being all that especially since you can spin the material just as easy, possibly easier.

I have both vises set up on my desk and use them both. Don't start believing you need anything more then what you have already. It is nice to treat yourself every now and again though.

The only vice I've ever owned is a Renzetti Traveler. It is an older model with the thumb screw that tightens the jaw. If I had to buy another vice it would be a new Traveler. I love it.

Would my post be considered a long drawn out argument?

Hi Stagger - Currently, I use three vises, depending on mood.

Renzetti Traveler, Regal Medallion w/stainless jaws, and a Dynaking Kingfisher (travel vise).

The Renzetti is mounted to my bench, and it stays there. The Regal is quick and easy to use, but it's not true rotary. I use the true rotary feature often.

Basically, true rotary allows you to rotate the hook with the head of the vise, and the hook shank stays in the same axis - doesn't wobble while spinning it. This allows you to wrap materials quicker and more precisely, as you are looking at where the materials attach to the hook the whole time. Think of it as a sort of "lathe" for tying. Soooo much easier to wrap hackle, ribbing, dubbing, etc. No surprises when you flip the fly over to look at the other side.

A true rotary vise gives you the option to use that feature, but you don't have to. The single biggest improvement to the quality of my ties was incorporating true rotary in to my tying.

Given the choice, I'll take the Renzetti every time. It can do everything I want it to, is well built, and has a lifetime warranty on the jaws (as does Regal). Dynaking has a two year warranty on their jaws (which I'm not fond of anyways - too soft).

My advice - do it right the first time, and be done with it. You may not use the true rotary feature now, but you may eventually.

Renzetti Traveler FTW. :-D

gfen wrote:

gfen hit the nail on the head. Probably the most useful post I've read. I will add if your budget is under $100 check out the Anvil Apex. Simple rotary vice made in the USA, comes with c-clamp and a base.

I personally have a Renzetti and if it ever craps the bed, I'll buy another one

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Here's a site that reviewed a bunch of vises but Sonic was not one of them.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm

Regal Medallion - No other ice will hold a hook like a Regal. No adjustment and you have access to the entire fly. I have tied thousands of flies on mine.

What gfen said. Regal.

If you're wanting to tie a variety of flies (nymphs, dries, streamers) you can't beat the regular medallion. No adjustments have to be made when switching from a size 32 to a 2/0. If you streamers are your thing, the revolution is sweet too.

Gfen summed it up well.

I use a Renzetti Traveler.

Back