October Caddis

Wulff

Wulff

Anyone have a good pattern for the October Caddis in central PA? I'm hearing a lot about it, and I see several patterns on the internet, but I'd like some incite. Thanks.

This is amazing! Valid patterns to follow

Attachments

• 6-done-side[1].jpg
    6-done-side[1].jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 9
Wow. That's too pretty to fish. If the trout are that picky with details, how do they not see the metal hook coming out of his but?

adult - see photo

sparkle emerger - see link

http://www.caddischronicles.com/2011/07/tying-lafontaine-sparkle-emerger.html

You will also find a good pattern from Dennis at Catskill Flies. On the website you want to navigate to stream conditions and then scroll down to "fly of the week". He should have the pattern up there in a few weeks or less.

Attachments

• october caddis.jpg
    october caddis.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the info. Will do!

I bought some orange cdc from trouthunter, and plan to tie cdc and elks with it.

Can't vouch that it has worked for me, but I'm willing to bet the farm that it will work.

I have some of the orange CDC Jay mentions. I tied in 3 CDC feathers in a forward position, dubbed orange SLF dubbing, flip
the CDC forward and lash down creating a small head. I think this thing is going to kill.

Like this in orange.

http://www.myflies.com/Apple-Green-Caddis-P552.aspx

krayfish wrote:
adult - see photo

sparkle emerger - see link

http://www.caddischronicles.com/2011/07/tying-lafontaine-sparkle-emerger.html

You will also find a good pattern from Dennis at Catskill Flies. On the website you want to navigate to stream conditions and then scroll down to "fly of the week". He should have the pattern up there in a few weeks or less.

I'm an ignorant man, so don't mock me. Is that elk hair w/ white CDC?

More or less.... yes.

this is mine;

Attachments

• 5-23-2011 asaph 023.jpg
    5-23-2011 asaph 023.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 4
I've never attempted fishing the larva. I may have to give that a go this year. My first encounter with them was standing in the Junction Pool on the D one evening. It sounded like people were throwing billiard balls in the water and all I could see was these moth looking things. I caught one and found out what it was.... October Caddis. In my experience, they don't hatch in great numbers but enough to get the fish stirred up.

Nice wet sandy. I bet that kills them on the swing. That is my kind of fly.

Ya, that is a nice fly Sandfly. What size do you tie that for Delaware? Like a 8 or 10?

sandfly- whats the recipe for that? I like it!

So explain to me how CDC helps w/ elk hair. I've never tied a combo of the two. Does it help the fly sit higher on the water at all? Does it just give it some movement on the surface?

Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant of these things. I can tie a mean mayfly dun, streamers, and beadhead nymphs. That's about as advanced as I get!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
So explain to me how CDC helps w/ elk hair. I've never tied a combo of the two. Does it help the fly sit higher on the water at all? Does it just give it some movement on the surface?

Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant of these things. I can tie a mean mayfly dun, streamers, and beadhead nymphs. That's about as advanced as I get!

Both. By far both.

It was 51 this morning, it's making me think about October. How about a few good October Caddis patterns to tie...

I know they're big so would a smallish stimulator work? Or is there something more specialized.

This is a good question such I would like to tie a bunch of these up for the D. Anybody use a specific pattern for the upper D?

Back