Fly Tying Swap - Favorite Fall Patterns

Bocianka1

Bocianka1

Anyone up for a swap as we approach fall? To get this started I'll try and keep it simple, just one of your favorite fall patterns to fish. dry or wet.

I like to try new flies and i like fly tying. I'm hoping to revive the Fly swaps that happen occasionally in this forum because it gives us all a chance to share our passion with each other.
All are welcome to participate. There are some true masters who haunt this forum, but you can be new to tying and still participate and enjoy the experience.

While i am up for hosting a regular swap, in the past, getting 12 people together who each want to make a 11 of the same fly is hard to do.

If you prefer i'm willing to do a mini-swap. I call it a Triangle Swap. You make and send 3 identical flies and get back a different set of 3 flies. That way it's minimal effort to tie them and you receive 3 of a pattern to fish, which is great when you're like me and tend to loose at least 2 every time i fish ;) Even if it's just one other person that's interested, a Triangle Swap still works (and i get to make a new tying friend). if more people want to join in, it still works and you still only have to make 3 flies, the host just swaps the flies in a circle.
(A -> goes to B - > goes to C -> goes to A) does that make sense?

Usual guidelines for a tying swap. If you're interested in participating in a swap, comment and let me know you want in, and what pattern you'd like to tie. Specify if you're willing to do a Full Swap (up to 12 people including myself) where you would tie 11 flies or if you're willing to do a Triangle Swap (send and receive 3 flies only, unlimited participants)

Deadline for Host to receive flies: 10/31/18

How swaps work:
1. I will provide my address and email via pm once the swap is full
2. I will send out a reminder through the PM system about half way through the swap.
3. Full Swap: toetag each fly with makers name and pattern name
Triangle Swap: toetag at least ONE fly with makers name ( and pattern name
4. PM me when you drop your flies in the mail so i know to expect them. Please aim to get them to me BEFORE the deadline (in this case 10/31/18)
5. Send your flies in an inexpensive container with your name on it. Include a stamped return envelope.
6. I will mail out all the flies no later than 11/1 assuming everyone turned in their flies on time.

7. Go fish with new flies.

As the host i was thinking of a dry fly like a Baby Boy Hoppers in light green for a Triangle Swap

If i'm going to make a dozen flies for a full swap, I was thinking of Egan's Tungsten Surveyors since i need to replenish my stocks as well.

1. Bocianka1 (HOST) - Baby Boy Hoppers or Egan's Tungsten Surveyors

Seems like forever that we've had a swap here, count me in fly TBD

That makes 2 so far. keep em' comin.

2. Laszlo - TBD

Great idea, these swaps are a lot of fun, count me in,(put me in again, just to get this thing rolling) laszlo2 fly TBD

That makes 3 so far. Love the enthusiasm Laszlo. Now we just need 9 more friends who like to tie flies.... gotta be some around here somewhere.

2. Laszlo - #1TBD
3. Laszlo - #2TBD

Laszlo - If we can't find others who are ready to tie at this time of the year, then i'm willing to swap with you. I'll tie up to 4 patterns in sets of 3 for an even dozen flies and swap em for 4 of your patterns (or less if you don't want to go that many). I'll pm you with a list of flies that i have tied so far so you can decide what might interest you. I've only been tying for about a year so i'm not an expert by any means. Let me know.

Maybe we'll have better luck come winter.

That sounds like a deal, I have some great patterns that I'd like to share. PM your patterns and I'll reply with my ties.

A successful mini-swap. My thanks to Laszlo for his enthusiasm in swapping. He completed his flies ahead of schedule. It's exciting to have some new patterns to fish, as well as some examples of how others tie flies.

He was also very generous and (unbeknownst to me) sent me some micro chenille so that i can experiment with tying micro mops myself. I'm interested to try fishing and tying the micro mop and see how it compares to similar flies like the Green Weenie.

(my apologies if the pics aren't great. This was my first experience taking pics of flies and using my wife's SLR to boot. I think they turned out OK for my first attempt).

Laszlo tied 3 each of the following 4 patterns for a total of 12 flies. They all look great and i'm excited to try them.

flies by laszlo

Estaz Beetle

Golden Retriever

Utah Killer

Micro Mop

Laszlo- Here's what you'll be receiving in the mail shortly.

Laszlo looked over my list of patterns that i have tied previously and selected the following 4 patterns for my 12 flies.

flies by bocianka1

Scud Nymph

I still have a little trouble getting the "legs" as stringy as it should be. all of the ribbing makes it hard to comb out the legs as bushy as i'd like.

Egan's Tungsten Surveyor

Copper John (red)
The red wire doesn't show well in this lighting.

Tabou Daddy Crayfish-top

Tabou Daddy Crayfish-bottom

I had a hard time trying to figure out how to take a picture of a crayfish that rides hook point up without the vice getting in the way.

Back