PA State Park with best trout fishing

jifigz

jifigz

Hey everybody. I love backcountry camping, backpacking, and wilderness fishing but I also enjoy the amenities and luxuries of staying in a state park. What PA state park do you feel offers the best trout fishing? Right off of the bat I will say to exclude Poe Paddy and Poe Valley. Those are so close to where I live and I've spent a lot of time in both. I am trying to get to and stay in every state park so please offer up your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Lyman Run and Cherry Springs offer great opportunities for exploring Potter County.

We have state parks embedded in Michaux State Forest down this way although I suspect you've been to them. Camping and an abundance of hiking are available (including the Appalachain Trail). The famous Cumberland Valley streams are nearby and a lot of brookie streams are in and around the parks.

PM me for details or to discuss.

I second Michaux. If your looking for great facilities and lakes then I would head to this area. It can get a bit crowed during peak times but plenty of out of the way hiking trails and of course brookie streams to explore. I don't think I have ever run into anyone else fishing.

Had a great time in sproul state forest last year but I cant recommend any state parks or camps in the area as we just did primitive camping.

Ole Bull, Lyman Run, Cherry Springs, Sizerville

McCalls Dam State Park, Raymond B Winter State Park, Harry Johns State Park, Black Moshannon, Hyner Run State Park, Kettle Creek State Park, Little Pine State Park

You mentioned amenities. Did that include lodging options?

Wife and I and her niece stayed at the lodge at Bald Eagle a few years back. We were taking niece to see Penns cave. It was quite nice.

Nature Inn at Bald Eagle State Park is nice, but can be somewhat expensive and most weekends are sold out between May and September and also PSU Home football games. I live across the lake and we have stayed there a few times for family events. No trout fishing with in walking distance of it either, except for the 15" rainbow my son caught in the lake a few weeks ago.

Tripling Old Bull and Kettle Creek.

kettle creek park, known as Alvin bush dam. stay at campground at breast of dam. fishing good at LEIDY BRIDGE. above dam 3 miles. cross LEIDY BRIDGE, turn left, about 2 miles choice stream till dead end. 2- up from leidy bridge trout run dumps in at sharp curvre. park under big tall pine trees in parking lot. walk down old rd. to creek. go left to first nice hole, do not go further. not so good fishing above. go downstream 3-5 holes. you'll get some. about 200 yards before kettle creek tackle shop. pull off, cross creek. fish this long hole with nice riffle. NOTE; this hole has underground spring. productive in hot days. hammerleys fork, small brookies, cross fork creek. just at hole at walkover bridge and a little downstream. could go on and on. maxima12

lyman run lake, best to have boat. below lake no so fantastic, above lake flyfishing only. small trout. beaverhead above this. about middle of lake take right on road which will take you to west pike above galeton pa. west pike good. a great stream geneses forks. watch out for rattlers in dry spells. not stocked. before 72 flood lots of trout 16 to 20. now a few.

Stevenson dam, sinnamohonning. go above park. concrete bridge. fish down. lot's of rainbows. there is a time late may when headwaters stocked with all breeders. fly only. stop at tackle shop, general store I think Costello. nice store or town before. town starts with a f. missing it right now. nice hotel, bar in town f. good times. good food. lot,s and lot, good fishing on sinn. check out you tube on first fork sinn. good to know.

sleeper, little pine state park, Waterville pa. happy acres meals close by. fish above stream at gun range, catch and release. I like going downstream to lower picnic area and fish downstream 1.2 miles. old road will bring you back to main rd. good long enjoyable fishing trip.

go down to Waterville, stop at hotel, get a burger and beer. go up rd 25 yards to mc Connell's fly shop , gas, drinks, get a large sub and go up road to brown's run. fish 1/4 mile below brown's run, up rd to cedar run, slate run, Blackwell. what a trip.

mattwolf wrote:
Nature Inn at Bald Eagle State Park is nice, but can be somewhat expensive and most weekends are sold out between May and September and also PSU Home football games. I live across the lake and we have stayed there a few times for family events. No trout fishing with in walking distance of it either, except for the 15" rainbow my son caught in the lake a few weeks ago.

Price wasn't all that bad when we stayed there, but I believe it was shortly after it opened. Also, it was summer (no football), we just stayed one night, and it might have been a week night.

We didn't fish, but it is centrally located for a lot of choices.

I am talking

about adventure. for those that are willing to go. how about stoney fork creek in tioga county. not heard of it. babbscreek, not heard. roaring branch, Lycoming county, not heard rock run, not heard. muncy creek, not heard, larrys creek not heard. ceadar run, fuhnnystock, not heard, west branch pine creek, not heard, brrookland upper pine not heard, Blackwell, ansonia, young womens, upper pine bottom, yeah not heard. list goes on and on.,

not heard of. adventure my boy's is the key to life.

owassee, colton point, tiaghadaton,

fransis branch slate. little kettle

I am at the end of your new beginning.

Maxima 12

maxima12 wrote:
I am talking

about adventure. for those that are willing to go. how about stoney fork creek in tioga county. not heard of it. babbscreek, not heard. roaring branch, Lycoming county, not heard rock run, not heard. muncy creek, not heard, larrys creek not heard. ceadar run, fuhnnystock, not heard, west branch pine creek, not heard, brrookland upper pine not heard, Blackwell, ansonia, young womens, upper pine bottom, yeah not heard. list goes on and on.,

not heard of. adventure my boy's is the key to life.

owassee, colton point, tiaghadaton,

fransis branch slate. little kettle

I am at the end of your new beginning.

Maxima 12

You make some of the most incoherent posts that I have to speculate over. For that, thank you. And what if I have heard about all of those places? What then? What if I've been there and done that and I agree that adventure is the "key to life?"

“I ain’t never seen ’em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills and the Alps is for children to climb. Keep good care of your hair. These here is God’s finest sculpturins and there ain’t no laws for the brave ones. And there ain’t no asylums for the crazy ones. And there ain’t no churches excepting for this right here. And there ain’t no priests excepting the birds. By God I are a mountain man and I’ll live until an arrow or a bullet finds me and then I’ll leave my bones right here on this great map of the magnificent…”

Coltin point state park, pine creek, the gorge, west rim trail. all good.

I am incoherent, comes with age and abuse. If I was a younger man living closer to the coal crackers area. I would choose the Lakawaxen River. Got to be a state park somewhere near. A man could spend a lifetime on that river.

keep your eyes on the skyline.

Back