Hickory Run State Park

P

Pat

Hi folks! I will be camping at Hickory Run state park this week and would like to get a sense where I could fish Sandy Spring Run and Hickory Run. Would also like to know if these waterways are close to the campground?

many thanks

Here is a detailed map of HRSP.

Both HR & SS are detailed on the map. Depending on exactly where you are camping, you should be very close to both of these streams.

I would also check out Mud Run in the far eastern corner of the map. The areas above and below Hawk falls are real nice places to hike and fish.

Have a great trip and post a report when you return

You'll soon want to head out further than those 2, and yes they are close to the campsites. As afishinado stated Mud Run is a good choice, check the map and investigate some of the other feeders to the Lehigh and the river itself.

I had the same idea you have and didn't make any definite plans but if you want to PM me your campsite # maybe we can hook up.

The CG's are in the Sand Spring drainage and at least one backs up to a lake with both stream access and access to one impoundment. That will get you started, the impoundments are all stocked.
I like Hickory Run above the road, it's nearly all brookies and some are of decent size. If you're there during the week just start above the impoundment just above the park office and fish on up, there is a couple of miles of good water and a good road to get you back. The fish for the most part aren't big, but some are legal size, keep in mind it's catch and release up to Saylorsburg Dam, that the one at the falls.

Hickory Run below 534 (park office) has been tough the last few years, but worth a try. Good trail all the way to the Lehigh. Farther on toward White Haven on 534, Hayes (Black) Creek is a pretty stream but also tough. Also good trail down to the Lehigh. There has been plenty of rain this summer so the levels and water temps have been very good.

There won't be any trout in Sandy Spring Run this time of year. It's stocked in the beginning of the year and get's fished out. Also gets warmer than Mud and Hickory.

Going camping at the park to fish the area. I have not fished there before but hopefully this info will help. Going to stop at the fly shop tomorrow morning and see what they say about what will be the best bet on the best places to hit this time of year. Any tips on spring fishing there?

I camped there last weekend. Camp site #1. There were lots of dumb stockies in the pond below the playground. The stream below that pond also had stockies and wild brookies.

I'm sure there are still trout in Sand Spring and Hickory Runs. I'd fish the Lehigh as well if flows are for trout fishing and not WWR. There are tons of good streams in that area. Sand and Hickory are the most convenient if you're camping. The water is low so you'll likely have to be stealthy even if you're fishing stockies in the streams. If you fish the pond, stealth is less crucial.

Great family campground. Enjoy!

AugustWest wrote:
Hickory Run below 534 (park office) has been tough the last few years, but worth a try. Good trail all the way to the Lehigh. Farther on toward White Haven on 534, Hayes (Black) Creek is a pretty stream but also tough. Also good trail down to the Lehigh. There has been plenty of rain this summer so the levels and water temps have been very good.

It's pretty below 534, but not terribly productive. If you're packing a big enough stick, you could fish the river when you get to the bottom. All of your information is solid. Black/Hayes is tough and the fish pop in the lower stretch seems to be low. There's supposed to browns way up.

If I were fishing the park knowing what I know now, I'd start at the impoundment/park office area (as mentioned) and fish Hickory Run going upstream.

The fly shop along 940 (Evening Hatch) is a great little shop and they'll be able to provide tons of info.

Camp at Hickory Run in late July every year with the extended family. We love it. I sneak out to fish a little bit and found the information here to be accurate. Mud Run has not been kind to me, I felt like I might be attacked by a bear on the hike in downstream of Hawk Falls. Some of the water is so beautiful but seemed almost barren.

In late July, I have never more felt like I was going to step on a rattlesnake with every step than when I fished Hickory Run downstream of 534 to the Lehigh. In fact, I did encounter one as I got very close to the Lehigh. Did not have much luck that time of year nor did I hook up with any smallmouth bass once I reached the Lehigh.

My avatar is at Hawk Falls, probably four years ago...

Thanks for all the info guys! We had a great weekend! We started off at the playground on sand spring since our camp site was right there. Started catching stocked brookies and browns as we worked our way down the stream. Also got some native brookies in there to! This was our first time fishing for natives and first time catching one so we were pretty excited! Once we got to hickory run we started to catch more below 534.

The next day we fished hawk run and some feeder creeks to mud run. Got a lot more natives there. Spooked a lot of fish but being our first time fishing for natives i was not to upset. #22 wd40 and hare's ears were the key for the weekend. No real hatch going on but we made do. All in all we got 12 natives this weekend! Defiantly going to make another trip up there!

Attachments

• 10407494_10153954643290620_9079061353201699310_n.jpg
    10407494_10153954643290620_9079061353201699310_n.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 11295534_10153954614245620_863491612716232529_n.jpg
    11295534_10153954614245620_863491612716232529_n.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
Back