Chiques Creek Smallmouth

HopBack

HopBack

Chiques Creek Lancaster County

A Primier Fly Fishing Destination ;-)

All joking aside, I decided last minute after work to do some smallie fishing and other than the Susky this was my closest option. I have never fished Chiques and I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out to be a pretty good outing.

I fished from 5pm to 8pm and worked my way from the confluence of Donegal creek to the rt 23 bridge. I picked off 11 total ranging from
6-12 inches. If you can put up with all the trash its not a half bad stretch of water.

Does anyone know if there is any open water above the RT 23 Bridge?

Attachments

• chiquescreek.jpg
    chiquescreek.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 14
  • smallmouth1.jpg
    smallmouth1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 9
  • smallmouth2.jpg
    smallmouth2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 9
  • smallmouth3.jpg
    smallmouth3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 9
  • bluegillcolors.jpg
    bluegillcolors.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 8
I believe that there is some open water off of Pinkerton Road....There's a sweet stone bridge there and a big pull-off.

Nice fish and report! Now I'd be really impressed if you caught fish from the run in the top pic while sitting in the chair. Hank Patterson style.

raftman wrote:
I believe that there is some open water off of Pinkerton Road....There's a sweet stone bridge there and a big pull-off.

That's actually my friend's land now, and if he keeps finding TV sets and other trash laying around, don't bet on it being open much longer.

And the Pinkerton Rd area is Little Chiques Creek. I've caught nothing in it but creek chubs, but I haven't fished it too heavily because when I'm there, I'm usually just visiting w/ my friend and his family. We chucked a few flies around, but never fished it hard.

That's a shame that people treat it like that. I've never fished there myself, just have ridden by it. Also, you're right... it is Little Chiques.. my bad.

When he first moved in I told him to post it because I knew people would trash that land. He didn't want to do that 'cause he didn't want to be "that guy". After he found trash bags, an old TV set, etc., it has him thinking! Can't blame him. It's well below the lowest stocking point, so I can't imagine people catch much, but he did say people were fishing it pretty heavy after the season opener.

I have fished little Chiques one time and caught a million chubs and fallfish. It's been a while but I remeber the water also being really warm.

A couple of things suprised me about Chiques creek.....

1. The water temp felt pretty cool for a hot day above Donegal spring. I didnt have a thermometer but I would guess mid 70's down to low 70s when I got out of the flat water up by rt 23.

2. The lack of chubs and minnows considering little Chiques and Donegal spring are full of them.

3. The varying types of water. I saw everything from slow silted pools, to big boulders (caught most of the smallmouth around them), to typical fast water pockets with overhanding trees that looked like good trout habitat.

I would have to say that water quality probably isnt the greatest, due to all of the trash and the endless amounts of nitrates running into stream from all of the surrounding farmland. This is probably would explain why I didnt see a whole lot of forage fish.

Nice fish and report! Now I'd be really impressed if you caught fish from the run in the top pic while sitting in the chair. Hank Patterson style.

Klingy, you would have enjoyed all super long fast water pockets and pools. I almost put a nymph on just to see what would happen but I was having too much success swinging a black crystal flash bugger and to change up.

It's close by and I've hit it hard with both bait and flies for years. I'll travel instead.

I hit the mouth of the creek (susky) with my 10 year old last Monday early AM. One of the better spots on the creek. Drifted some sweet crawlers below a slip-bobber at about 4 feet. Nada. Just trying to get the young one interested in fishing.

Fished it many times. Not my idea of a great stream.

It'd be really great to see what happens to that stream (and the Donegal) if they ever remove that dam by the mouth. With the new rail-trail bridge in, I've heard rumors that the dam is on the docket to be removed.

Back