Will it catch fish?

Opie610

Opie610

I understand it will not win any contests. :-o
But I have only been tying a few weeks. my main concern is if it will work when the caddis start hatching.

bc56e969-66cd-4a16-a3bc-30d237a1112e.jpg
[/url][/img]

yes, also for olives. That type of tie is traditionally more of a mayfly pattern

Kinda reminds me of Fran Better's Usual....and THAT works.

I would lean more towards a mayfly emerged on that one as opposed to a caddis. In my experience a soft hackle fished on the swing and lift is the best bet for emerging caddis. I've never actually seen a caddis emerger pattern.

Opie - for the Tully caddis get rid of the trailing shuck, shorten the body and tie the wing so it is laying back a little more over the body. Use a different body color - brown with a yellow thorax for a sulphur emerged. Make the shuck and wing sparser in any case. You're off to a good start.

Thanks for the great tips guys. Very much appreciated.

Yes it will catch fish.

I don't know?? But to make sure or find out if they catch fish, send me six of them!! But then again, you want make sure so send me an even dozen!! LOL!! Yes, they should catch fish!!

That's an odd looking fly for sure. The wing is especially confusing to me. It's too big, and for a caddis imitation I'd think you'd want it to tilt backward. But I guess I have seen mayfly imitations where the wing goes straight up. Never nearly that big though. I suspect that with the big wing and the antron shuck the fly won't sit the way you're thinking it will on the water. It's going to end up laying on its side, suspended by the tall wing and the antron/zelon tail. Maybe if you tie a heavy dropper off the bend it would sit with the tail and body in the water... I guess you'll have to fish it and see how it tends to ride in the water. But even if it does sit sideways, it may catch fish anyway! They're not really all that smart, after all.

Thanks again everyone for the tips. Yeah the reason I kept the wing vertical was to keep the butt end hanging subsurface. Kind of like an emerger. Oh well I'm still learning. Today I will tie some with the wing back and no shuck, shorter body and than repost. Again your advice was constructed time and welcomed.

Opie

Now that is just a good looking fly. What size hook is it?

GenCon

Thank you. And it is a size 18.

That last one is a bit better in terms of imitating the caddis fly. Remember, you are making an impression. That's all dumb (as someone said) trout need. Don't be afraid to pull that under once in a while. I found that fishing a caddis emergence really means fishing the emergers-- with action, oftentimes.

And, I would consider adding a soft-hackle beard. Sparsely.

Attachments

• beardedcaddis.jpg
    beardedcaddis.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
JackM wrote:
Remember, you are making an impression.

I've read that in more than one place. "Realistic Flies" don't do better than traditional flies.

Back