where to fish the susquehanna

W

wozz

hey all:

My buddy and I would like to fish the Susquehanna for the first time this Friday. I'd like to fly fish and also spin cast. I've wade fished the Susquehanna close to Lewisburg while in school and also further up in Hazleton and Williamsport. Where is good close to Harrisburg this time of year? We've got an aluminum boat with a 30 HP outboard and would like to use it but are unsure of where would be best to go. I've heard good things about the TMI area but am also looking for other suggestions. Without giving away any "personal spots" can anyone suggest some general areas that would work for us? Also, we are completely catch and release.

thanks in advance for any and all advice

wozz

wozz, there's a campground at the junction of the Juniata and Sus. in Duncannon. That's where I would start....launch boat and get info there....good luck.

Dear wozz,

There is a launch at the mouth of the Conodoguinet Creek just off of 11/15. As you are heading south on 11/15 you come to a jughandle at a traffic light just before the bridge over the creek.

Take the jughandle and cross 11/15 and go to the end of that street and turn right and you run right into the ramp. The west shore of the river is almost always more clear than the east shore and it's easier to see ledges and rock piles that will wipe out that prop.

There is also a ramp at Fort Hunter that you can get to by taking the Rte 443 exit off of Rte 322. Go past Rte 443 after you exit and 100 yards to your right is the ramp. You can also go straight for a couple of miles into downtown Harrisburg and follow the signs to City Island, it's the second bridge that you come to heading south through downtown.

Just be sure to go slowly with that 30 horse prop motor if you are unsure of where you are going. I sell boats and I saw several props this weekend that customers wiped out on rocks and most of them were running 15 to 25 horse motors. If the motor has a shallow water drive bracket or power tilt use it and just putt through unfamilar water, because the river is already 4th of July low around Harrisburg.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

I'll 2nd Tims locations, theyre all really good locations for bass. However the bass are in their annual post spawn funk according my buddy who fishes the juniata almost everyday. The bass will still be in the shallows, but the bite might be a little slow. Also if you go do the Conodoguinet launch, take a slow journey up the creek because a good bit move up there during the spawn, but I know that stretch gets hammered this time of the year.

I'll also second Tim and Shipnfish. The river was very low on Sat although it might be a bit higher now. Stick to the west side. The Conodoguinet will be too shallow for your boat once you get about 200 yards up from the mouth but it is easy wading in that area. My experience has been that this lower section of the Conodoguinet has been devoid of bass for the last three summers but there may be some spawners for awhile. As a general rule, the Susquehanna near H-burg has not fished as well the last three years as the sections upstream of Sunbury. Good luck. Hopefully this year we'll finally see improvement and a large year class that survives.

Try the Goldsboro area, on the west side from TMI. I fish that area heavily, my dad and I are sponsored by Gander MTN and fish bass tournaments there all summer long. There are some hefty small mouth around the islands on the upper part of the river there, and big largemouth in the slow water on the lower west end.
If you don't have a jet motor, I'd highly recommend that you don't go to the Fort Hunter area. It's great fishing but you will most likely tear off the bottom of your motor.
I was at Goldsboro last week, it was kinda slow but caught one 3-4 pound smallie on a buzz bait and missed another. Have been having a good bit of luck on Rebel Crayfish and other crankbaits and tubes (mossy pumpkin or brown) always will produce a few fish when the bite is slow.
Fly fishing is good there too. I throw Clouser minnows (standard white/chart), crayfish patterns and big wooly buggers.

Back