"Whats your favorite book no one else has ever heard of?"

Thanks for the suggestion Bamboozle. I already looked it up last night, and added it to my get list. I have small library approaching 100 books; have a lot of them to read yet , so won't run out anytime soon. I'm going to start The Vanishing Trout this week.

Also seek out "The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout" by Charles Bradford that I mentioned and linked to in post #15.

It was written about 16 years earlier than "The Vanishing Trout" and recounts fishing on some specific Pocono streams.
I started reading some of this book via your link. Great book. I enjoy the old English and how things are were described back in the day. The way it's written reminds me of The Vanishing Trout. I'll try to get a physical copy of it if I can.

I started reading some of this book via your link. Great book. I enjoy the old English and how things are were described back in the day. The way it's written reminds me of The Vanishing Trout. I'll try to get a physical copy of it if I can.

It's been reprinted several times so it should be easy to find a contemporary copy. My 1916 edition was given to me many years ago by an old Brooklyn buddy because I was originally from Pennsylvania.

I still remember trying to find & fish the creeks mentioned in the book when I got my first GPS almost 20 years ago...

"The Four Fishes" was an interesting non-fiction read but I can't remember the author. It wasn't specifically about flyfishing or sport-fishing. It was more about the rise and fall of four fish that were historically used for food. I think it included cod, salmon, and tuna. Can't remember the other one. One of my kids had to read it for school.

Two others that popped out as I was perusing my "library" and neither are specifically about fishing but related to the places we fish:

"Susquehanna - River of Dreams" by Susan Q. Stranahan (a history of the Susquehanna River)​
"Wood Hicks and Bark Peelers" - The Photographic Legacy of William Clarke by Ronald E. Ostman and Harry Littell (the story of Pennsylvania's lumber industry heyday in the norther tier with incredible photos of the way it WAS.)​
Enjoy if you are interested!

"Trout Fishing in America" by Richard Brautigan. A tour around the distorted mind of an American writer who saw the fishing experience through a kaleidoscope instead of a lens. A cult classic.

"Fly Fishing for Sharks: An Angler's Journey Across America" by Richard Louv. Explores the fishing culture in America, from Pro bass tournaments (men's and women's) to seeking rare cutthroats in Mexico, to, of course, fly fishing for sharks. Highly recommend.

Ben Bradford has it all: a beautiful wife and two healthy sons, a big house in an affluent Connecticut suburb, partnership at a prestigious Manhattan law firm. But scratch the surface and you'll find a deeply unhappy man. Not only are Ben's dreams of life as a professional photographer slipping away, but so is his wife -- into the arms of another man, who, Ben discovers, just happens to be a photographer.

What If You Had No Choice?

When a confrontation with the lover turns ugly, a spilt second is all it takes to change Ben's life forever. Quickly realizing that there is only one way out, he sets into motion a meticulously detailed plan that ultimately lands him out West, with a shot at the proverbial second chance. But the price tag is high: Ben must give up his friends, his home, his children, his name. His life.

And just when it seems he's pulled it off, Ben Kearns there's a small hitch: Even in a small town in Montana, it's only a matter of time before your past catches up with you....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240207-004851.png
    Screenshot_20240207-004851.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 8
"The Allegheny Angler", by Jim Bashline.

A small paperback that was written in the early '60's, if I recall correctly.
About his experiences fishing the north central part of the state, with a lot of emphasis on the upper Allegheny River.

When I first started FFing, I was exploring that area a lot.
And really enjoyed reading about how things were back in the day

Right now I am reading One More River - A Celebration of Rivers and Fly Fishing by W.D. Wetherell.

It's pretty good!

I will check out Vermont River when I am done with this one. I like this book, although his choice of wording is interesting at times.

At one point in the book (written in 1998) he mentions thoughts about seeing people with phones in the river.. boy we had no idea what the cell phone was going to turn into..

PIONEER LIFE OR 30 YEARS A HUNTER by Philip Tome. Good read about life in the late 1700’s/early 1800’s in northern Pa.

Poisoned Progress and Middlefork Maneater. Both by Dave Williams.

2 small paperbacks written by an Idaho hunting guide. Excellent reads

I have “The Art and Science of Fly Fishing” by Lenox Dick. He lived in the Philadelphia area and mentions having fished the Brodhead and Tobyhanna in the 1940s. Book was originally published in 1966. First fly fishing book I bought circa 1992. Tons of valuable information still applicable to today as far as stream tactics go.

Check out Robbing the Pillars by our own Raftman (Michael Garrigan)-a book of poetry reflecting on rivers, fishing, mountains, walking…
Good stuff.

Stoneman, dude! Thank you!!! I was going or make a sarcastic/self deprecating comment about my books of poetry - Robbing the Pillars and River, Amen - being my favorites that no one has ever heard of, but your genuine answer is way better. You just made my day, heck my year. I hope we fish together soon!

Here are a few of my choices:

Ryan Brod - Tributaries - A book of essays about fly fishing for tarpon, brook trout, salmon, and musky (mostly in Maine)

Harry Humes - All Waters Are One - PA poet. Incredible collection of writing.

- Michael

Back