Wet Fly Leader Question

troutbert wrote:
If you want to try wet flies and keep it really simple, just snip off your dry fly and tie on a wet fly.

There is no law that you have to fish multiple wet flies.

You can fish just one. Which makes rigging simple.

And also makes things simpler when you get tangles in the tree branches.

Yes ^ Good point.

For small stream fishing I often use a single fly to simplify inevitable tangles in trees :roll:

Another tip on when to tie on a wet is use then to cover rising fish to imitate an emerger or cripple. This has worked many, many times for me when my dries were ignored.

Finally, try wets when you see fish feeding in the middle or upper zone of the water column. Again, many, many times I've caught fish on wet flies that were feeding just below the surface. During caddis hatches or egg laying event, a wet is a great representation of the insects. I often tie on a wet on any upper dropper to prospect for trout.

I have no doubt wet fly fishing is underutilized and even totally ignored by some FFers. It works. It's a fun way to fish. And it's rather easy to master. Try it you'll like it!

The site Number6 posted is exactly how I tie the dropper loop into the terminal part of the leader. The first dropper loop up from the end of the tippet will be about 27 to 28 inches and the second loop will be 18 to 20 inches up from the first dropper loop. Then take your 6 inch dropper material (.015) and clinch knot it to the loop and tie your fly on and your ready to go.
I assume it was you on the "Ask About Fly Fishing" Podcast on Wet Flies.
What was the leader formula you were using and would it be okay if I posted your answer to the leader formula website with your name on it here:

Marc from Hershey

Yes, It was me that did the podcast Ask About Fly Fishing. Hope you enjoyed it. Here is the leader formula that I mentioned on the podcast. And yes you can post it.

36" - .021
16" - .019
12" - .017
6" - .015 Dropper Loop
6" - .013
6" - .011
12" - .009 Dropper Loop
20" - .007

The easy take on wet fly fishing is to employ the standard down-and-across. And it works quite well. But as you progress, you'll discover you can fish wets upstream, and cast to rising fish like you're fishing a dry fly. Wet flies were the first emergers. Enjoy the adventure.

Back