Wading pants

Vtsalmon

Vtsalmon

I would love to here pros and cons of using wading pants . I am thinking of going to wading pants instead of chest waders . I very rarely ever go over my waist . Most of my fishing is done small to medium sized streams In Vermont and New Hampshire .

I use them almost exclusively. There are no cons. the only reason for chest waders is if you plan on deep wading.

I have longstanding balance and equilibrium issues and have used waist highs exclusively for over 30 years. They keep me from wandering off into depths I have no business being in and in this way, they lead me not into temptation. If you think there may be times when you'd still want the full waders or at least the option, some of the Orvis waders are easily convertible and you would have the best of both worlds..

Wading pants are definitely the way to go for the type of water you describe. Less restrictive than waders and unlike hippers, you can sit down and not get your pants dirty. I bought a new pair of Simms Freestones last year after my old pair gave up the ghost after 12 years of hard use and abuse.

I've found the best of both worlds with convertible waders. Chest high if needed but most of the time I wade with them waist high. I like the suspenders holding them up rather than just a wading belt which slides down and has be constantly be pulled up while hiking in or wading.

I use both. I need the chest highs to help with float stocking. That's about the only time I ever get in above my waist. Afish put me on to the convertibles that are indeed very nice. In the warmer weather/summer I use waist highs exclusively.

Warm weather - wading pants or convertibles. Cooler/cold weather - chest waders. Until this past winter, 95% of my wading was with wading pants or the convertibles used as pants. One caveat though regarding the pants - for those times when the water was just a bit deeper than you thought, the chest waders are worth it. If you're only going to get one, get the convertibles.

What's everyone's favorite wading pant? Looking to buy a pair for small stream fishing before / after wet wading season...

I used to live in PA's Cumberland Valley, fishing the limestoners, and wading pants were my day to day gear for local fishing. I had chest waders for larger rivers, but the pants were much more comfortable for small water. A good rule of thumb: if the stream you are fishing is wadeable with hip boots, then waist high waders are perfect. I like them in the drift boat as well since I float in high water and generally don't get out and wade in those conditions.

I see a slight advantage to wading pants over chest waders. But, it's slight, I never really had a problem with breathable chest waders and comfort. And it would make me own another pair of waders, because I'd NEED to have chest waders too for deeper wading.

Now, hip waders are a no for me. Even on dinky little mountain streams, I do so much sitting and crouching. Have tried the hip wader deal and it's like immediate wet arse.

I’ve owned a couple pairs of wading pants at various times. They’re ok. Though they’re not really any cooler than chest waders, and from that perspective I find them disappointing. Here’s why I think:

Chest waders go up higher and have more material above your waist clearly, but they also have an opening at the top to allow for some air flow and ventilate heat. Waist highs cinch around your waist by design, to hold them up, allowing no ventilation out the top. Yeah, my lower chest area may be cooler in waist highs, but my legs get significantly hotter in warm weather in them. Overall, the net experience is about a wash for me.

If I find a pair on a good deal, I’ve bought them before for a small stream brush busting pair to save mileage and wear off a good pair of chest waders. And I would buy them again for that purpose, but all in all there’s not much of a difference than chest waders in terms of comfort. If you’re going with one pair for all around use, get chest waders IMO.

I would love to here pros and cons of using wading pants . I am thinking of going to wading pants instead of chest waders . I very rarely ever go over my waist . Most of my fishing is done small to medium sized streams In Vermont and New Hampshire .
When did they start calling them wading "pants" versus "waist-highs" versus pants you wear under your waders and does this mean if you wear "wading pants" in the modern vernacular you don't wear pants under your wading pants... ;)

All kidding aside, I've owned waist highs, convertible waders and chest waders. Convertibles are nice although, I infrequently found myself rolling the top part up. I THINK I still own them, but haven't used them in so long I'm not sure.

Many chest waders, excluding those with a thick pocketed front "bib" or cooky suspender set-ups can be rolled down and kept in place with a wide wading belt if you don't feel like spending the money on something else. I do that with no issues with a pair of Cabela's chest high waders I use when I fish the Letort.

I chose this option at the Letort because I could get baggy waders from Cabela's that allowed me to sit, squat, kneel & crawl without stressing the seams on my fancy better fitting waist-highs.

If you don't wade deep or can avoid it like you said, just get "wading pants" as you already own chest highs (like you mentioned) for those places you'll need them.

Good luck!!

Simms Freestone pants for 279.00 ya cant beat it.Easy on easy off, when ya gotta go ......its take a second to go.Pull them up and there 5 inches lower than a wader.Im 6'2 235 XL fit like a glove.

If you occasionally slip and "sit down" in the stream the chest highs can help keep water out, depending on depth. I have always had hippers or chest highs but think my next pair will be waist highs.
This summer I think I'll be using shorts with running tights/compression pants underneath to keep out the bugs and sun.

I like the Patagonias. Dryft makes a very nice set of generic suspenders if you don't like belt only.

*I would love to here pros and cons of using wading pants . I am thinking of going to wading pants instead of chest waders . I very rarely ever go over my waist . Most of my fishing is done small to medium sized streams In Vermont and New Hampshire .
Super light pants, like those by Ex Officio, are the nuts for wet wading. The pants are great for getting through grass , poison ivy and nettles and the like with less irritation. Often times, I've fished in shorts and wished I had my wading pants.
The only problem is that there are few or no serious wading sandals. They HAVE been made in the past, but not now. There are some wet wading shoes. I know Orvis makes some. Simms may have some. I wear them with (I forget what company. I think it's 'W-something') 2-layer running socks that are made for SERIOUS runners, for whom rain is no barrier. So they have to work wet with no blisters. If you want to use real wading boots, you may have to or want to get a separate pair for warm weather wet wading.

I bought wading pants a few years back.
And they are nice for certain situations - where deep wading isn't required.
Usually on small to mid size streams

Really appreciate them in hot weather.
However, there have been a few times when I've come across deep pools. And I couldn't get to where I wanted to be to reach some fish

I have a pair of Dryft "blue jean" waist highs and love them. Easy on and off,with a zipper fly and pockets.

This thread made me giggle. I used to know somebody who called waders fishing pants.

Back