Wading jacket

J

JohnPowers

tired of getting wet during hendrickson time. Whats the best rain/wading jacket in the &150.00 range.

thanks

I purchased a Cabelas Dry-Plus Packable Wading Jacket about 7 years ago. It was and still is about 100 dollars. Its served me pretty well. I particularly like the neoprene cuff, it's more like a fingerless mitt. It's comfortable on "coolish" days. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck.

I've used an LL Bean PacLite wading jacket for over ten years. It's made from Gortex and has never failed me in bad weather. It is light enough to pack into the back of your vest or pack. I keep it there at all times. Since it is lightweight, it can be used in a summer storm in warm weather, or as a shell to keep out the wind and rain in colder weather with warmer layers underneath. It's kept me warm and dry on many trips to many places.

On the way back from a trip to Maine, I bought another one from the LL Bean outlet. My first one is still going, but I like it so much I bought a new one to replace the one I have when/if it ever wears out. It sells for $149. Here is a link to LL Bean. Good luck.

LL Bean PacLite Wading Jacket

I got a cheap one from Woolrich thats amazing. I live right near the outlet store and it cost me $12.50 (supposed to be like $70). Its just a small raincoat that folds up and I can keep in the back of my vest. I have one for fishing and a blue one for Penn State games. I know for a fact though that it keeps me dry.

Sportsman’s warehouse has a nice packable rain jacket for about 20 bucks. They have rain pants as well. It is the store brand. Water proof and sealed seams. I have had the jacket for two years and use it as a top layer. Best thing is that the pants and jacket pack up so small they fit in my laptop bag.

I second the cheap o rain suit. I bought one at Gander Mountain and have seen them at ****'s too. Rain coat qualities - cheap, lightweight, and beautiful... or maybe that's my wife... get them mixed up. atleast the raincoat will keep you dry when you're in the dog house from fishing too much :)

After you decide on the jacket get a few cans of silcone spray.

I have one of the lightweight packable ones from Cabelas. I got it for 60 bucks a year or two ago. I love it.

The lower back pockets are pretty big, but be careful filling them with water bottles and stuff like that. Mine tore, but the inside of the pocket is also waterproof, so I stay dry.

When I was a kid, I used to take trash bags from under the trash can at the Exxon in Birdsboro before fishing Hay creek. Tear a head hole in the bottom and get fishin. It worked fine as well.

I bought a guide series off the sales rack for I believe around $75 if I remember correctly. The zippers are all water proof and there's allot of room in the shoulders and the sleeves are nice and long. They sell talls which is great. I have really long arms for a woman and actually between broad shoulders and arm length I usually buy mens sizes just for the shoulder room and sleeve length. It is comfortable in warmer weather and depending what size you buy I'd say it will give you enough room to add layers for cold weather fishing as well. My son spent his first 2 years wearing a golfing jacket so you don't always have to think fishing just think dry. He also has a specific rain wading jacket and it is not as breathable as mine but probably a bit more water proof. I'd probably sweat in the thing and get cold. I think Cabelas has some great stuff as well but I wouldn't go entirely cheap. A good breathable water proof wading jacket will get lots of wear, raining or not. Sucks to get wet!

I prefer going with a packable, lightweight jacket, with proper layering it's the only jacket you'll need year round for a shell. You can layer with fleeces and the like anad you're covered. Sierra trading post should yield you something. I have a Cloudveil that has proven itself in the field during heavy rains and long days on the water. It's not fishing specific, but it's ideal for me.

The cloudvail is an excellent rain jacket. Really it depends what your looking for. The cloudvail jacket as light as it is doesn't breathe well. It is awesome for rain protection but there are many cloud vail products so I can't say anything exactly unless I know the jacket. Rain or not I'd go for breathable and haul my butt out of the water should I get soaked thru it. It sucks sweating under a thin layer of coat.

http://tinyurl.com/6bqd4y

That's the one I have and I've found it to be plenty breathable, the zippers in the pits also help a great deal when you need to cool down. Like you said there are lots of Cloudveil products, but I'll stand behind the peformance on this one. I picked mine up on Sierra Trading Post and with shipping, it was under $100.

Back