Wading Jacket

just_jon

just_jon

Looking for a new wading jacket. I currently own a Simms that is approximately 15 old and needs to be replaced due to wear and tear. Would definitely buy a Simms again, but it doesn't make sense to sink $300 given how infrequently I would use it. Could also stand to save a few bucks after placing an order for a Dream Catcher bamboo rod on Saturday.

Appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Wow, congrats on your dream catcher from another dream catcher owner!

Anyway, I go ultra cheap when it comes to wading jackets. I have a field and stream variety that I got from ****'s for like $40 bucks. It's perfect. Light, packable, draw strings in all the right places, mesh interior so it drains well. It's supposed to be breathable but the breathability of the material is poor. The saving grace is that there's good vents all over the body, so in effect it does breath pretty well. Except the arms. Not much ventilation there and I have noticed sweat forming on warmer days.

But it's $40. It doubles as a good rain jacket for non-fishing use. And most of it's use comes when it's cooler anyway. I couldn't have picked a better wading jacket for my use.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3034852&lmdn=Brand

I just got the L.L. Bean Emerger II for $99. It seems good so far. Only got caught in one downpour but it performed well. It doesnt breathe great but that doesnt bother me too much. Several people (Afish i think) have highly recommend the Bean Paclite jacket as well. It is what it says, lighter weight and packs down small. Bean has the 100% satisfaction guarantee too.

Pat - which model do you have? I ordered the Cumberland Queen (8' 4 wt). Auguvcannot get here ion enough.

I have the Paradise. It's considerably faster than the Cumberland Queen.

I have an older version of this Orvis for $149 (I got it on sale for $100):

799EL0VF.jpg

It is a great jacket.

Here are the details:

Clearwater® Packable Wading Jacket

And you need a wading jacket why?

And you need a wading jacket why?

I was wondering the same thing.
Yet again, I'm not one that staying the water when it rains.
I know my local creek, and it has claimed more than one life to date from people that don't get out when the getting is good.
Maybe for lake fishing it might be good

I have the patagonia guide jacket--no I didnt pay full price for it. I mean it is borderline ridiculous to think of someone paying $400 for a jacket like that, but it is a pretty impressive garment. Absolutely nothing to snag fly line(you wouldnt believe how many straps and zippers and crap that are on a regular rain jacket like north face or marmot etc.) Beefy pockets up front for fly boxes, cameras, and other gear you dont like getting wet. A soft and plush colar lining for when you have the hood up and the jacket fully zippered. This colar lining is especially nice if you have had a plastic zipper brushing up against your mouth like on other jackets. Finally, the materials used are exquisite.

Ok, onto the "why?". First, do you fish in the winter? Having wet anything when its below 40 out just plain sucks. It is easy to slip and put your arm in the water, or release a fish and get your forearm wet. Wading jackets have a cuff that fits pretty snug(usually made of neoprene or another waterproof material) and this prevents water moving up into the jacket. If you wear the jacket + waders + waterproof gloves(pata's R1 glove for example) you can essentially go for a swim at some point during your fishing trip and still stay dry. This is my steelhead fishing outfit, and I am mighty comfortable. All of this gear exists for a reason--do you want to have your fishing be determined by the elements, or do you want to get out and fish despite the conditions? PA weather sucks for the most part, so I am the latter.

I wear mine on maybe 10% of trips.

Most of them are those late fall, winter, or early spring days where you have an all day light rain, or even snow. Those are some of the best fishing days. When it's cool, you don't mind wearing a long sleeved raincoat all day. And when it's cool, being wet sucks.

Come summer, it's too hot to wear all day, I wanna be in short sleeves, and getting wet isn't such a terrible thing. My wading/rain jacket goes in my coat closet at home and becomes a non-fishing raincoat, in case I have to go out during a heavy storm or something.

I typically do not where a wading jacket any time of the year on local waters. But then, I don't usually fish local waters on rainy days. Real need, at least for me, is when I travel considreable distances to fish and encounter rain.

Appreciate all your input.

I would say just buy a Simms jacket and forget about the need for another one for the next 15 years. However, after hearing you just placed an order with Wyatt for a new rod, (congrats, I own 2 of his and they fish even better than they look) I understand your dilema. Perhaps you could squeeze an extra year out of your old one and in the spring get a new Simms or LL bean jacket. A good breathable rain jacket is an important piece of equipment, especially in the Spring when the best hatches are in swing. Drizzly cold wet conditions are often the best times to fish and you are better served with good peformance time tested clothing. Besides just keeping you dry, it keeps you warm and is very light in weight. Congrats again on your new rod in the works, but I would think twice before skimping on a quality rain jacket......just pinching my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I can't buy all high quality gear. I just can't. My wife would kill me. lol.

I take the approach that there are things to skimp on and things not to skimp on. Things like rods, my Richardson, etc. I spent an arm and a leg for. But they will last my entire fishing career. (Actually, my bought rods still top out around $300, the Dream Catcher was a graduation gift).

Waders, boots, etc. are skimpable. Yes, good one's last longer. But even the good ones only last a few years. They're all comfortable and do their job. So it's kind of a price per hour of use thing to me.

Wading jackets can last a very long time. But the cheap ones last a long time too, and it's an item I only use occasionally. So they too are skimpable.

Frogg Toggs Tekk Toad from Bass Pros, 80 bucks, you will not get wet and it is amazingly breathable. Frogg Toggs Hellbender wading jacket from Cabelas 89 bucks, same deal. Frogg Toggs Pilot Wading jacket, used to see them around, not sure were they are now, very good fit and pockets, etc.

Chaz not everyone is a fair weather fishermam. Plus fishing during a little down pour or even a light rain can be great fishing.

MHanes, I prefer to fish in the rain and bad weather, no let me rephrase that, I've fished in rain more than you've fished, I have rain gear for that. I'm just wondering what the H?!* a wading jacket is?

hahaha a wading jacket is basically a rain jacket. Couple differences though, a wading jacket is tailored for fishing. Typically they are cut higher, so the jacket ends at your waist or a lil higher so the thing doesnt bunch up in your waders. The aforementioned sealed cuff. Usually a couple more features specific to fishing or fly fishing like pockets or less crap for your fly line to snag.

so the jacket ends at your waist or a lil higher so the thing doesnt bunch up in your waders.

Wouldn't that let the rain run down into the waders ??? I'll wear mine outside...

haha. yeah. Who the heck would wear a wading jacket inside the waders? What would the point be?

Yes, they're raincoats. I mean, really, there are a LOT of raincoasts with sealed cuffs, and there are an awful lot of raincoats that end at the waste too. It's not like that kind of stuff is special to "wading jackets".

Sometimes they have D loops and fancy pockets, kind of a raincoat/vest mix. That's about the extent of the difference. Well, other than price. Fly fishermen are gullible.

Back