wader help needed

B

billm67

First off....I'm a big guy so I anticipated that finding waders was going to be more of a challenge....but I went over to BassPro and that had a few options. I have wading boots so I was looking for a stockingfoot wader.

They had a 3.5 neoprene stockingfoot which fit snugly...and came with the normal wrestling act of putting on what is basically a full body girdle...and the also had a breathable waisthigh stockingfoot which was easy to put on and fit nicely. My question is...will having just a waist high wader be an issue if it is my only waders? I haven't fly fished in over ten years....but don't remember many occasions where I was even butt deep in water. If budget weren't an issues...I would buy both...but unfortunatley it is. I just need some advice on which way to go.

My personal opinion is that you will be fine. Most all waters I fish and I fish most of the eastern half of our state, waist high's would be enough and in summer preferable.

I'm a big guy too (6'4" 300lbs) and I use the waist-high waders from LL Bean. Can't go wrong, life-time warranty, wear them under the gut and don't look back.

I prefer waist highs. But I'm short and if I had to I could pull them up to my chest.

I never wear chest highs. I don't wade where I need or want to go that deep.I have a pair of Simms "Headwaters" waisthighs. One advantage they are ALOT cooler in warmer weather.

I'm on the large side myself and would suggest going for the chest waders that can be rolled down to your waist when desired. I currently have neoprene's and will switch to breathable waders when I can afford the $.
My thought it that I would rather be able to roll down to waist and not give up the extra coverage for when you may want it or need it.

The more I think about it... I have back problems and probably have no business being in swift water over my waist. I remember being up to my waist in the Yellow Breeches in the spring and it was difficult to stand much less fish. That was probably 12-14 years ago and I was in alot better shape. Just for safety I probably shouldn't be doing that anymore.

I say chest highs. That's just me. I use breathables all year round. Hate neoprene. Also IMO you'll lose more flies with waist highs since you can't go get them(if desired). At 2.00 a fly u mise well flush it in the toilet.

The type of water you fish should be a factor in your choice also.
If you'll be fishing large streams - I would defintitely get chest highs

I'll mainly be fishing small streams like the Yellow Breeches and Letort. I will make a few trips locally to Stony Creek and Clarks...but I can't think of anything that I would consider a large stream that I'll be fishing.

I roll my chest-high's down, but I'm 5'6".

Chest highs you can roll down, but waist high you can't bring up.

The cheapest pair of waders I've ever owned (chest waders) could be rolled down and secured because the shoulder straps had different clips (male and female).

Well I went back up to Bass Pro at lunch and tried on several pair. What it really came down to was comfort. The chest high ones just were tight around my gut and were not comfortable. The waist high ones just felt alot better. As far as height.....I'm 6'3" and the waist high ones would easily pull up over my gut and by my measurement that puts it the top of the waders around 42 inches. That's deeper that I want to get in cold water.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I never wear chest highs. I don't wade where I need or want to go that deep.I have a pair of Simms "Headwaters" waisthighs. One advantage they are ALOT cooler in warmer weather.

Exactly my perspective on waist high waders. Mine happen to be Cabelas, and I really like them. Like wearing another pair of pants. Also, I don't weigh all that much, and I really become unstable in deep water.

I haven't used my neoprene chest waders in years.

Back