wader advice

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Looking at getting new waders for the warmer months at Bass Pro with gift cards. Any thoughts? Not in love with tgeir selection

Sell the gift cards and look elsewhere.

My thought. ... use them for something else and do just thst

I agree go somewhere else. What is your price range? I just got a new pair of chests.

Simms.

Not sure price yet. Looking at options first

If you hit up beaver creek fly shop check out dan baileys gear...good stuff! My last cheap set took a crapper on my trip south. I'll be replacing them with the baileys guide.

Simms are nice if you can swing them! I sure cant.

Thanks. $150 for waders was what I was thinking. .. but... you get what you pay for

With Brookie & WildTiger...Simms.

How many days per year you fish determines your quality level you need. Budget is a different factor.

I do not have experience with Redington or Orvis brand waders...but they should be considered if budget is restricted. Simms G3 or G4 if your loaded.

The only ones that last for heavy usage are reportedly ones with GORE-TEX. I have the Headwaters stocking foot ($350, partial GORE-TEX)...which Simms gave me (warranty replaced) after I wore out 2 pair (3-weeks and then 9-months) of Freestone ($250, Non-GORE-TEX).

$150 might get you 4 months of continuous use...if your lucky. That budget implies going to ****'s and buying their Field and Stream Brand breathable. They are thin and OK for warm weather/keeping ticks & flesh eating bacteria of you. Layered correctly they are good in winter.

Boots alone can cost more than your budget. In the past BassPro had an exclusive Simms boot for $99...if you install sheet metal screws they can get you around safely for a good year constant of use, just replace screws often.

You may need to increase your budget or visit a Field&Stream/****'s.

My experience:

Purchased basic Simms Gor-Tex in 2002 - lasted 10 years before I could not make any further repairs - Ist repiar, year 7.

Simms G3 - going on year 5, had to make a small repair year three, no leaks and worn easily 300+ outings.

Orvis Silver Sonic Convertibles - going on 2 years, no hint of a leak and worn close to 100 outings. BTW, I find that the Orvis wader fits better on me than the Simms - better leg room.

I have two sets of waders and wading boots - one set for invasive species streams and the other not.

And yes, I do fish streams surrounded by multi-flora, climb over downed trees, slide down banks and rocks.

Dale

I just picked up a pair of Simms G3 guide boots and use neoprene waders most of the time. I have purchased 2 pair of White River breathable waders that have leaked quickly. Returned them both.

Because I have guilt cards, I thought maybe another type they had would be ok. I guess Simms or Orvis may be my choice

simms g3 7bills! ouch. I know they're good but for that price they better be. I cringed at the dan baileys when I first bought them. They lasted me 5 years of constant abuse. I probably could have gone longer but wasn't great at breathable repairs as they were my first.

I was talking to a busy last night being I'm also looking. My frog togs lasted 3 weeks!

He reminded me of a set I found a year or so ago. You may be interested in these.

Usia.com

Just saw that Bass Pro is carrying the. SIMMS freestone. Anyone use them?

I have Orvis and Simms. The orvis waders have nice material but the booties are too large and I have extra material all bunched up in the heel
Simms have a foot shaped bootie that fits better and the material is similar. Go simms.

why not save 100 bucks, buy the freestone from sierra trading post!

I got some Redington cross waters this winter for myself, and some new boots as well. Really happy with the waders, seem to be very nice material and resistant to tear/puncture, They seem breathable when worn alone but kept me very warm when doing some winter fishing lately. I don't have a huge budget, so these worked for me, and you can find them for like ~120. There are also a lot of people I have heard of and know who like them as well. I would love to be covered in SIMMS gear but I won't be in that paygrade for a few more years.

Had simms g3. Lasted bout three years sent them back to simms they charged me x amount to fix two holes and many pinn holes. Codorus creek and lots of multifloral rose was likely the reason for the holes. After alot of thinking I figured spending that money on waders agian was pointless.

They all end up leaking!Its pretty doubtful any maker is going to wave the repair fee no matter how expensive they were. So now I just buy whatever I can find on clerence. Last winter picked up a pair Reddington Sonic zip fronts for little over $200. Honestly the quality is not much less than the simms zip fronts that cost almost a grand. If you shop around you can get some decent deals. Look on ebay also.

Simms. Great fit and excellent quality. 1 year no questions asked warranty and excellent customer service. They will also do repair for a reasonable price after the first year.

I am on my second pair of G3's. First pair went strong for 4 years of 100+ days on the water with some minor repairs. They still have some life left in them, I'm sending them into get the crotch patched, then they will be used for waters infected with invasive species while the new pair is used for everything else.

That said, I think waders are one of the things you should really invest in. You'll spend a lot of time in wearing them, you want to be comfortable and have free range of motion. In the colder months staying dry is critical for safety, a good pair of waders will go a long way, but you also need a good pair of boots with studs. If you don't stay on your feet, no pair of waders will keep you dry.

Spend as much as you are comfortable spending, but get the best you can afford within your budget. Generally, I spend the most money on gear that is going to make the biggest difference and skimp on other things. I put more money into the items that keep me warm and dry on the water, and that make a noticeable difference in catching fish. I buy the best waders and boots I can afford and use a cheap net. I use mid-priced rods and reels, but the best fly lines. I use cheap fly boxes ($3 plastic plano boxes) rather than $20-$30 fly boxes; you get the idea.

Back