Vise maintenance

fishingdad88

Hey there ! So I have a regal medallion and a renzetti traveler just the basic models (monster head on the medallion) I was wondering if someone could suggest a brand of gun oil or something that doesn't reek like wd40 to prevent corrosion on the vise head ?

Also wondering if most folks do that or if they just wipe it down after usage ?

Thanks !

My hands tend to get sweaty at times so I use Boeshield which is excellent and Fluid Film that is maybe even better.

I've been using both for a LONG time, but Fluid Film most often on all of the fly tying stuff (like vise heads) that are just hardened steel and all my hand tools and garden tools and NOTHING rusts.

I soak a few small rags with Fluid Film and store it in a small container. I have these containers in all of the places I have tools so it is convenient to wipe stuff down after use.

IMHO the smell is less offensive than WD-40 but then again the smell of mothballs doesn't bother me... 😉

My hands tend to get sweaty at times so I use Boeshield which is excellent and Fluid Film that is maybe even better.

I've been using both for a LONG time, but Fluid Film most often on all of the fly tying stuff (like vise heads) that are just hardened steel and all my hand tools and garden tools and NOTHING rusts.

I soak a few small rags with Fluid Film and store it in a small container. I have these containers in all of the places I have tools so it is convenient to wipe stuff down after use.

IMHO the smell is less offensive than WD-40 but then again the smell of mothballs doesn't bother me... 😉
Doesn't the fluid film get all over your hands every time you touch it? I spray that stuff under my vehicles and it never really hardens to the point that it won't be sticky to the touch.

Doesn't the fluid film get all over your hands every time you touch it? I spray that stuff under my vehicles and it never really hardens to the point that it won't be sticky to the touch.
That's my other concern is touching the vise and getting the stuff on my materials , is there anything you use on your vise or don't feel the need ?

I don't spray it, I saturate a rag with it and use it as a wipe. If there is a lot of excess like there is when I first saturate a rag, I'll wipe that off with a clean rag.

Eventually after I use it for awhile, that saturated rag leaves almost nothing behind. All I know is I wipe EVERY hand tool I use afterwards with the stuff and it doesn't feel greasy to me the next time I pick it up.

In regards to fly tying, I only use it religiously on anything NOT stainless steel, brass or nickel plated, especially the heads of my vises because I know me and my hands and they would positively rust if I didn't.

I never had an issue with residual Fluid Film getting on my materials although I always wash my hands and use a softener before tying so I'd rather be safe than have a rusty vise head.

YMMV

Much like how I take no precautions with my materials, I do very little to zero maintenance on my vises because I don’t have to. At least I don’t recall ever putting oil on any of my vises, one of which is a Regal Medallion. I don’t have any rust on any of them and they work with no hang ups or sticking points. If you want to always have to clean filth from your vise, put oil on it. Oil is a filth magnet. If you must, use a dry lubricant or simply wipe the surface with a silicone gun cloth. My vises (3) are 20 to 40 years old with no finish or function issues.

a little puff of air dust removal is about all i do to my renzetti traveler

no oils or grease for me

Reactions: CRB
Much like how I take no precautions with my materials, I do very little to zero maintenance on my vises because I don’t have to. At least I don’t recall ever putting oil on any of my vises, one of which is a Regal Medallion. I don’t have any rust on any of them and they work with no hang ups or sticking points. If you want to always have to clean filth from your vise, put oil on it. Oil is a filth magnet. If you must, use a dry lubricant or simply wipe the surface with a silicone gun cloth. My vises (3) are 20 to 40 years old with no finish or function issues.
Awesome works for me I appreciate the advice !

My last cheaper vises got a little bit on them. Mostly thinking cause it downstairs and leaving the windows open on those rainy damp days. Now my dyna I cover.

Rust on a vise head usually comes from the same place it does on blued or similarly treated metals, from perspiration and the oils & acids in your skin.

At least in my case, if I handle a raw steel, carbon, blued or similarly finished piece of steel and don't wipe it down with something other than a dry rag, I leave fingerprints that will rust.

Even the aluminum parts on my Renzetti Master have darkened slightly over the years as aluminum will do after contact with acids or alkaline substances. For that reason I wipe the entire vise head down after tying sessions.

If you don't have hands like mine that can rust stainless steel, do what ever that floats your boat with your vise.

If you are in the habit of wiping down a blued firearm or a carbon steel knife blade after handling, you probably should do the same with your vise head. In my case my vises are cost more than some of the knives & firearms I own so I don't treat the vises any differently.

Slipping one of these over your vise head between sessions isn't a bad idea either.

Rust on a vise head usually comes from the same place it does on blued or similarly treated metals, from perspiration and the oils & acids in your skin.

At least in my case, if I handle a raw steel, carbon, blued or similarly finished piece of steel and don't wipe it down with something other than a dry rag, I leave fingerprints that will rust.

Even the aluminum parts on my Renzetti Master have darkened slightly over the years as aluminum will do after contact with acids or alkaline substances. For that reason I wipe the entire vise head down after tying sessions.

If you don't have hands like mine that can rust stainless steel, do what ever that floats your boat with your vise.

If you are in the habit of wiping down a blued firearm or a carbon steel knife blade after handling, you probably should do the same with your vise head. In my case my vises are cost more than some of the knives & firearms I own so I don't treat the vises any differently.

Slipping one of these over your vise head between sessions isn't a bad idea either.
My main concern is transferring whatever I use for oil onto the fly or my materials when handling

Wait you don’t want the Wd-40 to transfer to the flies and materials? You don’t like the smell? Or you are worried the fish don’t like the smell?

Back