Upgrade question...

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I have my BVK 5wt and an old Orvis Clearwater reel without a drag. I just purchased a Clearwater for my 8wt and love it and am trying to figure out if I should upgrade to one for my 5wt.

My buddy gave me a new Hobbs Creek reel, but I am not sure if I want to use that or a new Orvis.

Thoughts? Going to be in Lancaster tomorrow so thinking of going to Orvis Store anyway

Anyone want to give me a recomendation on a sub $200 reel? Want to see what my birthday gift to myself will be

Reel with drag....sub $200 range:

Lamson Guru
* if you look hard enough, you might find a velocity under $200
The drag is solid and the finish is extremely durable

Redington rise

I was reel shopping and found a Ross Airius for $150

Orvis Access mid arbor

Ross CLA

Scientific Anglers system4

If you don't might lightly used, Battenkill, Evolution, Bauer MK or occasional Galvan.

Lamson all the way

Konic on close out now bout 80
Velocity 456weight 130
Guru as abv

Give yourself a $200 check and wait for something you actually need instead of want; 'coz someday your want will be a need and you'll be better prepared.

slash that 200 to 100 and you'll still find a decent reel with a drag

Thanks. .. or... someone can donate a reel to me!

no need for a $200 reel on a 5 wt...

check ebay for a factory seconds on lamson, keep your eyes open but for a while they were blowing them out. I picked up 2 guru 4.0 and 2 velocity 3.5 for $620. obviously larger then what you need but I can understand the desire for nice gear.

While the debate will continue to rage in this thread as to how much you *need* to spend on a trout reel...

There are a lot of good reels in the $200 range. My recommendations are the Lamson Guru (a little more), the new Lamson Remix, or the Sage 22/3200.

Here are some more options as well:
http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/fly-reels/all-fly-reels.html?dir=asc&order=price&p=2

Thanks so much. Picked up the Sage 2230. Hard choice but.. good price

buy a hatch and never have this conversation again. You will have it for life and can fish almost any species of freshwater fish with it.

mcwillja, the problem with Hatch reels is that you tell yourself you only need one. Then you end up with 2 wishing for a 3rd.

Just get an extra spool or are you fishing saltwater species as well?

Back