Trout into your backing?

It wasn’t a large fish, but once it went over the falls thankfully the fly held, and the reel had enough backing. 😃

IMG 4011

On the yough a couple of times, long cast with a dry fly. This one hit my backing in what seemed like two seconds of leaping and head shaking.
Beautiful fish!

More times than I can count in upper de system. Not sure if it happened for trout anywhere else. Two weeks ago I had 3 or 4 browns that did it, but to be fair they were on very long casts.

I had a morning on the beaverkill last spring where me and a buddy caught 6 or 7 rainbows in about 8 inches of water in about an hour and a half. Every fish had us into our backing in about 10 seconds. These weren't long casts, 30-40 feet max.

I lost a tug of war on the Bighorn with a big fish, fish finally straightened the hook, I remember seeing the backing, right about the time the water came in my waist highs.

Trout...No! Salmon on the American River....YES!

Yes, tomorrow morning I'm planning on it 😉. Begged for Friday off, got it and pulling a suicide run at 4:45am.

I have in high water on a big fish in the Lackawanna River. Pretty rare occurrence, maybe twice in my life but it has happened.

I've had some Browns and Salmon get into the backing on Oak Orchard Creek. Some of the other Ontario Tribs have had fish that were headed back to the lake while I chased them that got close to the backing. Talk about a fun time. GG

Couple times on the Yough, couple more on the D.
On one river in MT I got spooled twice in one morning. All the fly line and 75 or so yards of 20#. On dry flies.

I lost a whole fly line once because the knot to backing was bad.

I lost a whole fly line once because the knot to backing was bad.
My mentor always recommends that you grab the line and break it off at the terminal end, when you see backing on the spool. His premise is that you're more likely to lose everything than recovering all your line.

My mentor always recommends that you grab the line and break it off at the terminal end, when you see backing on the spool. His premise is that you're more likely to lose everything than recovering all your line.
Sounds like quitter talk to me. Check your knots periodically sure but personally I’d rather take the shot at landing the fish of a lifetime rather than trying to preserve my 75$ fly line that is probably overdue for replacing anyways.

Even when I have been to Erie for Steelhead, I was disappointed in the fight. Now, I have never gotten into them in October or November when water temps are warmer and they may have more spunk, but late season steelies were easy to muscle in on my 6 weight.
Erie streams are too small to really get too far into backing. Now I will tell you in October they fight twice as hard, if you go to NY on bigger water they have more room. But, even then I usually can get them to stop before backing. Now a 4lb bonefish! **** every one is into your backing. they just run farther.

Couldn't you chase the line? :)
Only if the fish breaks off upstream and I could reach deep enough to grab it. I couldn't chase anything downstream at my age and athletic ability.

Back