The perfect tool does exist.

We were standing in the parking lot of the hotel after a day of fishing and a gentleman pulled out a couple of bottles without twist off tops. Had to go into the hotel and ask the man at the desk for an opener. Yes….I can see a need for this!

Learn the trick of holding the bottle around the neck and using your curled index finger as a fulcrum and something else, almost ANYTHING else as a lever...

...it's so easy you'll wonder why you ever bothered with an opener.

I just had this one. A little steep at 40 bucks for a 4-pack.

That reminds me of the Sam Adams Triple Bock released in three vintages in 1994, 1995, and 1997 at 17% ABV and a very high price tag in the day.

We called it "home brew" as in, you better be home when you are drinking... ;)

Last edited:
If you have a Bic lighter or anything of that shape, you have a bottle opener. I've used my Hemos. May have been one of the most valuable things I took from going to college.

I do occasionally take a bottled beer fishing with me. Usually on colder days. It’s been my Black Friday tradition the last number of years since switching jobs (and now having Black Friday off) to go fishing before rifle season opens. I don’t usually fish again until rifle is over. Anyway, I pack a monster leftover TG sandwich, and usually a strong stout of some kind to wash it down. Bell’s Expedition probably getting the nod this year. I have a bottle opener on my multitool that I carry in my fishing pack.

I don't think we'll know how good this tool is until Hank Patterson - Americas fly fishing guide, does a full test and review. His review of Orvis nippers was priceless.

No thanks. I usually all have my Swiss with me. 17 pies down 6 more to bake before I do apple 😁

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 11
i like gadgets. i thinks its cool. probably wont buy it but still cool.

Has anyone tried out this nip and sip tool from loon?

View attachment 1641233131
Yo Fred,

If you need a special tool to open a beer you must have started drinking much later than me. ;)

As far as nipping a knot, a decent pocket knife works too. Even teeth work if you have some on both the top and bottom row.

I suffer from having to gnaw the caps off when I was kid, so I carry a pocket knife now.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Yo Fred,

If you need a special tool to open a beer you must have started drinking much later than me. ;)

As far as nipping a knot, a decent pocket knife works too. Even teeth work if you have some on both the top and bottom row.

I suffer from having to gnaw the caps off when I was kid, so I carry a pocket knife now.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I rarely fish tippet under 20lbs these days why not have a multi-purpose tool that nips my tag ends and also opens my Perpetual IPA, I mean I guess you could come out with me, and you could use your teeth on all my tag ends instead ;)lol.

Last edited:
I thought the main purpose of wearing a wedding band was the ability to open bottles without reaching for any tool.

In the absence of a ring just about anything can be used to lever the cap off, as others have mentioned.

In regards to this tool, specifically, I can't recall the last time I opened a beer while wearing my vest/pack that my nippers are attached to, though I know many are more committed drinkers than myself.

Back