Susky Sewage

Dear afish,

While this is news to some it's shouldn't be news to old people like us! 😉

Harrisburg has its problems for sure, but so then do Binghamton, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre on upriver, and Clearfield, Lock Haven, and Williamsport on the West Branch.

CSO's have been a problem for all of my lifetime, and very little has been done to address them.

When I moved to Johnson City NY in 1993 and I told people where I fished, they would say, "You fish at the poop pipe?" For them, people who were in their 50's and 60's when I was in my 30's I was fishing where the sewerage entered the river back in their day, without any treatment.

Since then, they cleaned things up, but the old "new" sewerage plant that was totally rebuilt flooded out and was literally destroyed a few years ago. And that's just one of many that suffered the same fate.

It's amazing what we have done, and not in a positive way, to the most vital resource on the Earth, clean water.

I'm glad I'm getting old.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

When it rains like it did. They pump even more untreated sewage into the rivers so the treatment plants don't get overwhelmed.

Nutrient load in the Bay and I would guess some industrial chemicals that normally would be treated.

I agree with you on a lot, but that's just freaking paranoia.

Sweating your *** off in waders sucks, and your chances of an infection on that level are so, so slim. You're much more likely to die driving to the stream.
Sometimes you have to go through some **** (literally/physically) for it to change your perception on things. I wear breathables and yeah, it gets kinda toasty, but I balance out the need to fish there with the need to not repeat past mistakes. I suffer from anaphylaxis/bee stings. I carry epi pens everywhere I go. The paranoia is real, but I went through some things so I do what works for me ✌️

Dear jifigz and Wild-Trouter,

Both of you make good points that work for each of you individually. Some people are more susceptible to water borne infections than others. And some people have a more devil may care attitude.

Personally, I despise wearing waders after mid to late-May and fish accordingly. I'll suit back up with waders in late-September. I've wet-waded through things that would make most people scream with no issues ever. At the same time, I realize those days may be numbered. Time will tell.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I've wet waded the Susky since the early 80's. I'm baffled that I have not contracted a serious flesh eating infection. Wading around the narrows almost guarantees cut up shins and ankles. I tell anyone fishing out there with me to wear waterproof bandages and rinse cuts with drinking water several times. If the only thing left in the cooler is yuengling, you're SOL

FWIW, Altoona has the same shared system. What this means is road drainage is tied in with the sanitary. In altoona it was estimated that anything over a 0.5 inch of rain (in a short period of time) can cause a release into the little J and its tributaries. Waters are still cleaner and fish still thrive these days though. Bacteria aren't the only issue. You are also flushing pharmaceuticals. Reproductive hormones, for example.

I agree with you on a lot, but that's just freaking paranoia.

Sweating your *** off in waders sucks, and your chances of an infection on that level are so, so slim. You're much more likely to die driving to the stream.
I agree with all (just finished WW the Juniata last night). The fellow on the J was diabetic with poor circulation. Older folks have problems with circulation too regardless of diabetic status. People get infections in other ways too. No one taking biologics and immunosupressors should be doing this. I used to get a mild rash WW some waters where my socks were covering, especially if its an all day wade. As soon as I get home I shower and wash with real soap well. I spray my legs with hydrogen peroxide afterwards (probably not necessary). This seemed to stop the rash. I monitor the integrity of my skin. Probably in 10 ten years I'll stop.

FWIW, Altoona has the same shared system. What this means is road drainage is tied in with the sanitary. In altoona it was estimated that anything over a 0.5 inch of rain (in a short period of time) can cause a release into the little J and its tributaries. Waters are still cleaner and fish still thrive these days though. Bacteria aren't the only issue. You are also flushing pharmaceuticals. Reproductive hormones, for example.

This is the forgotten factor on the Susky. From above Binghamton to Harrisburg and all through the Susky west branch drainage....how many women are on birth control pills? How many people are on psychiatric drugs, heart meds, etc.?? Wastewater plants are looking for and removing solids, nitrates and ammonia.....not estrogen, wellbutrin or blood thinners. If you wonder why the fish have health issues or why they have both sets of sex organs, start here.

the treatment process, especially if they have UV treatment in line, reduces these compounds. They don't target them, but a fraction are removed/inactivated. Sex hormone in particular are sensitive to oxidizing compounds and UV.

Sometimes you have to go through some **** (literally/physically) for it to change your perception on things. I wear breathables and yeah, it gets kinda toasty, but I balance out the need to fish there with the need to not repeat past mistakes. I suffer from anaphylaxis/bee stings. I carry epi pens everywhere I go. The paranoia is real, but I went through some things so I do what works for me ✌️
I have wet waded Susquehanna and other creeks for years. My feet are cracked due to dry skin etc. I had my one foot swell up a lot and went to my doctor. She said it was definitely due to something in river water and that she sees it often with people who wade. In my case I was lucky I went in because the infection had gotten into the bloodstream and was moving up my leg. Some type of antibiotic got rid of it.

Do we need to start carrying a kit that tests for Coliform and E Coli? I already don't hold tippet in my mouth because of the beaver fever. I also don't wet wade (on purpose anyway) since a friend nearly died from an infection he picked up from the Juniata.

Back