Streamer oriented rods?

mute

mute

Are there specific rods that are targeted specifically for streamer fishing? Ive been streamer fishing more and more recently with higher water conditions. And with that ive basically dedicated my second 8'4" 4WT as a dedicated streamer throwin rod (4WT floating line + poly leader + sz 4-6 streamers + split shot).

It might just be me but i feel like because of the weight im throwing around and the loop to loop connections and tag ends on the system im getting more rod eyelet abuse \ hang ups from stripping line and such.

Im wondering if there are rods that cater specifically for throwing streamers and in what way? Refinforced eyelets? something else?

On the Orvis website where you can ask the expert what kind of fly rod they recommend, I said that I primarily fish streamers(wooly buggers) on a large stream(Tobyhanna Creek).

The recommendation I got back was a 9' 5 wt. That is what I use.

LOL, that is a $1500 rod!

St. Croix Bank Robber if you can find one. eBay maybe.

They quit making bank robbers right

Yes, there are specific rods built for streamer fishing. One of things I found out is think about the water your fishing and the size flies your throwing. The right rod will make a big difference in how hard your working those flies all day. With the wrong set up it'll feel like someone beat you with a 2x4 at the end of the day.

For the last two years I've been throwing streamers in the spring and fall alot for trout and in the summer off the boat for bass and pike. It's definitely been a big learning curve for me since I usually fish nothing but wetflies.

Here's the set up I decided on that works the best for me for chasing big browns. My rod is a Sage Payload 7wt 8'9", fly lines Scientific Angler Sonar Titan full intermediate used during normal flows and a little higher then normal flows. For high flows full sinking line 250gr. Leader is short, butt section 12" of 20lb small barrel swivel then 24" of 0x fluorocarbon. Flies are articulating 4 to 6 inches in weighted and unweighted.

Since I have gotten into this game it's become very addicting. I guess I 'am on my way to becoming a Streamer Junkie. Wish I would have got on the band wagon sooner when streamer fishing really took off a few years back. Yes, an old dog can learn new tricks.

In my opinion, where you fish and what you cast will determine the type of set up you get. Do you fish something the size of valley creek, the little juniata or the lehigh? The type of rig also would be different if you were throwing a #10 bugger or a #2 sex dungeon.

Small to medium stream suggestion:
8'6" rod in 6wt. I'd also look at getting a reel with a spare spool. Reel could / should be oversized a bit. One line that's got a 6' - 12' sink tip and another line that's a slow sink intermediate.

Budget rods: Redington Path or possibly an Echo Base
Mid tier: TFO Pro II, Fenwick Aetos or an older used rod like a Scott S3, Sage RPL / RPL+
Higher end: Scott Radian, Sage Bolt (discontinued), Helios3

If you are fishing larger water and possibly mixing in some smallmouth fishing, a 9' 7wt would be a little better for distance, line control and handling larger offerings like a D&D. The floating line will allow you to fish gurglers / poppers for bass which you don't want to overlook because it's serious fun. One of these larger streamer set ups will feel like thors hammer when compared to a normal trout set up. Big, clumsy, heavy and stiff but it makes casting a dead chicken easier and when you hook a beast, controlling the fish is also of paramount importance.

Similar idea in budget rods. Personally, I'd suggest a used Orvis T3, TFO Axiom, Sage RPL+, Sage Bolt, Scott S3 or S4 .... or ..... new Fenwick Aetos, TFO Axiom, Orvis Clearwater, Redington Vice or a TFO Clouser.

Same idea with a reel by having at least 2 line options. A fast sinking tip (5-7 ips) that is 10' - 20' in length. I'd go with a floating line as the second option where this will still allow you to fish weighted flies like a clouser or circus peanut. You still have the option of adding a 6' slow sink poly leader to the line which will allow you to cover all parts of the water column.

That should give you some starting point but I'll add the disclaimer: what do I know anyhow? LoL

I picked up a St. Croix Imperial a year or two ago on discount at the Tackle Shack in Wellsboro. I believe they may have updated the model. Anyhow, I got a 9'6wt and got a Redington Behemoth? reel set up with two spools. I primarily use it with SA Titan and adjust my leader to conditions, and streamer selection. I use it primarily on Medium to Med-large streams that I am targeting larger browns following thunderstorms in the spring. In a pinch, I have found this rod also does very well with indicator rigs on big creeks such as Big Pine in the spring when long casts can be necessary due to limited wading options.

Bamboozle wrote:
Tom Morgan Rodsmiths 8'3" 6wt Fiberglass Streamer Special.

That would be my choice, if I could afford one.

Unfortunately, $1.5k is a bit out of my price range.

I recently picked up a Loomis IMX-Pro 9.5' 6wt. I am loving it for throwing streamers. Loomis makes several streamer specific rods in the IMX-Pro series.

*Lyco,
The Tackleshack has some good deals right now on TFO rods (BVK, Clouser, Finesse).

I have an kenney glass 8'6 6wt id put up against the Morgan for small streamers...

I mainly use a 890 Sage Igniter with SA 250gr intermediate sink. It's my redfish rod but it works good throwing big articulated streamers. I have three spools for that reel with full sink, intermediate sink and SA Expert Distance floating line for various conditions.

I picked up a 690 Igniter and slapped a Tibor reel on it and cheap Cortland WF for light saltwater, bass, and trout. I'm going to throw streamers with it this year.

For me, a 590 is too light for the waters I fish and the amount of feathers I fish with.

I've read good things about the TFO Axiom II X, designed by Flip Pallot, but I've not cast[ed?] one.

The Loomis IMX Pro and NRX as well as the Scott Sector are good casting rods.

timmyt2 wrote:
They quit making bank robbers right

Correct. I believe St. Croix is pretty much or completely out of the fly rod business now.

Yeah, they did away with bank robbers but you can still find them on eBay. I got one from there last year pretty cheaply

-Rock

Back