Squirrel

GHM

GHM

I have been doing some gray squirrel hunting and saving hides and tails. I found some old information on fly patterns using squirrel but was wondering if any new ones have come around. I mostly target smaller stream brook trout but also go after some stocked ones as well. I have made some dubbing already with a coffee grinder. Any ideas would be much appreciated. (I'm not into tanning, so not zonkers)

I have developed a few variations of a Squirrelly Blond streamers - simply Brooks Blond but using squirrel tail in place of the bucktail and many use DMC metallic embroidery thread bodies - color depending on your local baitfish species. I coat the bodies with a couple coats of Sally Hanson's so they hold up. Here's a couple others that might help:
Royal Squirrel

Bluenose Squirrel Tail - Jeff Hamm of NZ

Brass Hat - a really old pattern

The Ligon

The Redhead - Forrest Lockaby from NC

Also a simple tie from Texas using a set of bead chain eyes tied mid shank (Mustad 3906B sized) then the stacked tail tied over the eye then folded back and super glued in place (tied as well) and designed to fish hook up. I can't think of the name but you know I love my 2X2's!

Hope this helps you out.

Kim

Let me know if you'd like any of the pattern recipes.

The “Royal Squirrel” seems pretty easy to tie, I’m assuming that’s tail hair? The only thing I can’t see is the tail, is it peacock hurl? If you had an itemized list of materials for your variations I would take a look at them. Thanks!

Yep, just peacock for the tail and 2/3rds of the body, red floss for the rest of the body and grey squirrel tail for the wing. Tail is gape width long and wing extends to the end of the peacock tail. Hope this helps.

Kim

Yep, just peacock for the tail and 2/3rds of the body, red floss for the rest of the body and grey squirrel tail for the wing. Tail is gape width long and wing extends to the end of the peacock tail. Hope this helps.

Kim
Perfect, I’ll give it a shot and tell you how it goes.

Nice tying on that Royal Squirrel pattern. Reminds me of an older pattern, the Pickett Pin, but much more an an attractor.

Thanks, I actually have some materials set out on my desk to tie the picket pin when I get off school.

Love the story of how the fly got it's name. Originally it was tied with ground squirrel and the cowboys would picket their horses on sticks sticking straight out of the ground. Ground squirrels would stand straight up out of their holes looking like those same picket pins- thus the fly pattern's name!

Kim

Back