Spinners

I fish when it's too dark to see my fly. You can make out rise forms in the right moonlight. You can still see the end of the fly line. And in the half hr before it got that dark, you're watching and getting a feel for how far ahead the fly is from the end of the fly line with various types of cast, so that after dark you guess at where you're fly is, lifting when a rise is in the right area. You did well during the hatch but switched to spinners too early to be "ready" for what you knew was coming.

Then get frustrated that none of them are to your fly. Cast, drift, rise in the right place, lift, nothin. I mean come on man, you drifted it over 10 frantically rising fish 30 times. They want something bigger? Smaller? Too late to change. You finally decide to call it, and realize you don't have a fly on the end of your line at all. Or you apparantly threw a tailing loop and your fly is hooked to the butt of the leader. And you swear at life and wonder how long it's been that way, but maybe actually feel a "touch" better since you understand why you didn't get a hit now. All this anticipation for 15 minutes of frantic fishing and you f'd it up completely.

You called it, you're sticking to it, so you walk up the bank to your buddy, we'll call him Scott, to get him to go, after all there's beer waiting. You tell him lets go, it's about done, but he responds this is awesome as he hooks up to another and says he's catching them one after another. Dang, he's making up for the butt kicking you gave him earlier and catching up fast. He'll go another 45 minutes at this rate, I really need to start bringing the beer along. One rises next to the bank, then another, holy crap there's a bunch right here in this side eddy by the bank. And you think about trying to tie another on.... But there's food and beer waiting, grrr. But Scott's gonna keep going anyway.... And eh, what the heck, we came all the way here, walked all the way in here, for this, we're here to fish, and there's a lead to protect as well. And after 15 minutes of attempting to tie a fly on holding a flashlight in your mouth, you get it done, cast out, and you're into 1 last fish, and a good one too, this could make the night. But it breaks off because you tied a crappy knot in the dark. Lets not tell anyone about that one, come on man, there's beer waiting...

You finally get your buddy to quit and make it back to camp, and guys who got there an hour earlier say the spinners flew but never hit the water. Another guy has been drinking for 3 hrs and says there were no bugs at all, it just didn't happen where they were (and you wanna correct them and say WHEN they were, but think better of it).

Ah, the spinner fall. No, never experienced any of that, haha.

Last edited:
I like the beer part. And packing them in (where legal to do so of course) can make an otherwise bust hatch night better.

Or those magical days when they start rising at 5:00, and by 8:00 you’ve had your fill and can hike out to catch the last two periods of your team in an NHL playoff game. Unless you’re in Poe Paddy. Then by the time you get out to civilization the game is over, unless in OT. Penns can kick your butt twice on an off night…Once by the fishing sucking, and then again for the next two hours while you hike and then drive out. But, it’s Penns, and it’s awesome, and you always go back.

I’m usually in the middle group of your example, FWIW. Saw the spinners, but they didn’t hit the water before I left and I caught a few of the dumber ones eating the Sulphur, or whatever, emergers before it got completely dark. Emerger eaters are easier to catch anyway. They give you a wide berth for sloppy presentations, of which I am a master. I’m generally ok with being in this group. A couple fish and a cold beer or two streamside is fine for me.

Last edited:
On the Beaverkill, the days I treasure are when the afternoon weather is cloudy, dim, even drizzly. This fakes the buggies into thinking it's dusk early. Hopefully there's not much wind,which would keep the spinners hiding in the trees. And if the weather clears an hour before sunset, then conditions are Nirvana. On the bright days when the birds and spinners stay a hundred feet up till you can't see, sometimes quartering and swinging the spinner works wonderfully. If there is glare, you can see the wake. If not, the hits are sometimes explosive so you can set by sound. Or just let them hook themselves.

Reactions: CRB
A nice early morning searching tactic, even if there is little bug activity, is use a rusty or cream spinner. Before other anglers have disturbed the water, you can find big alpha browns hanging out by shore, looking for the last of the nightime spinners before hanging it up and going to sleep in the deeper water.

Back