Small Stream Casting Tips

Although I agree that shot, 2 or 3 weight aren't the right answer, I couldn't disagree more about slower rods. In my hands a faster rod in tight quarters is a recipe for disaster. Give me a nice parabolic tapered cane rod any day under those circumstances.

You can't flick out a cast with softer rods. There is a flex and load involved. The loop is wider. I can keep everything low and beneath the branches with a faster rod. Your mileage may vary.

Hey should try my small stream rod, fast glass epic 3wt... it's a lot of fun... https://www.epicflyrods.com/collections/epic-fly-rods/products/reference-3wt-370-fastglass-fly-rod

"The Bow and Arrow cast is cool. It really is. But it takes a few moments to set up. After you make the cast, you usually have nowhere to set the hook (or that’s where your back cast would have been anyway)."

I don't get this, if you set the hook then the line doesn't fly back into the trees I use this a fair amount, but realistically 10% of the time. Also you can strip set gently, rather then trout set after a B&A cast.

I've got faster rods fly rod, but out in the mountains for brookies, give me my 3wt glass rod all day, it's soft and fun to catch fish all morning with an elk hair caddis that lays it down like a feather.

Back