Size 14 for attractor patterns; do we need anything else ?

JeremyW

JeremyW

Aside from patterns that call for it, do we need a different size for attractors REALLY? I find myself catching a wide variety of fish with a size 14.

I'm moving to the "Hanak Competition H 130 BL" barbless, with a "bent-in" point...

Define "need".

In my experience it depends on the fly and the stream.

Oddly, none are #14s I like Royal Wulffs in #12. Adams #16. Stimulator in #10. They are the only 3 I tie or carry. Mostly out of habit.
I guess #14 would be a good compromise. I cant argue your reasoning. For sure carrying more than 2 sizes would be overkill.

I tie most of my nymphs in 2 sizes. The majority are 12s and I'll do a smaller size in a 16. I have other patterns that I usually like smaller and I will do those in a 14 and 18. I almost ALWAYS skip a size inbetween on my generic patterns.

Most of the nymphs I run are in 14-16 size with an occasional size 18 in the mix. During summer months I may add in a size 10 in the form of a PT if I choose to nymph for smallmouth and other warm water species.

For dries on small creeks with native brook trout size 14 is good. I like a stimulator in that size as it provides good buoyancy for the size 14 pheasant tail with a 2.5-3mm bead I am hanging off the back of it. It's also easy to see.

I find bead size more important than hook size. That said, I tie a lot of attractor nymphs paring 3.3,3.0, and 2.4 beads with size 14 hooks.

Bead size is critical. I find the "over-sized" bead looking nymphs go deeper and get down faster. A sparse size 14 nymph with a 2.8-3mm bead gets down into the water column faster. This is critical when working colder water when nymph sinking times are slightly delayed due to the water being denser.

Nymphing being a different game than dry fly fishing, i fish 90% size 16 and 14. I fish more generic than attractor patterns ie hares ear and pt and their variants. Not so sure a hot spot is an "attractor pattern" but it certainly functions as an attractant

I really like oversize bead when there is a nice deep run under willows ,root balls,and other overhanging cover .

#14 Ausable bomber is all I need for attractor pattern.

#14 Royal Wulff, Ausable Wulff, Patriot, and Usual have all had their day as my go to attractor pattern. I like the Ausable Wulff in rapids, less so in pools. That said, now I tend towards a yellow stimulator for a dry dropper and a 14 parachute Cahill mid-season on in more heavily fished and quieter streams. In fall my go to attractor pattern is a #14 slate drake.

A #14 Royal Wulff story. Once on the West Branch on a TU trip we were getting the skunk when one guy put on his "hail Mary" fly, a 14 Royal Wulff, and started getting a take or two. Soon they were passed around and we all got into a take or two. As passing boat asked what they were eating and we said a #14 Royal Wulff. He replied, it is OK if you don't want to say but don't BS me. Even technical trout will take an attractor now and again.

Start your day with a Walt's Worm at the bottom....and further up go with a FO bead head soft hackle. After that....something green....peeping caddis....

I like the Walt's worm and Sexy Walt's worm. My friend fishes them religiously.

Back