Sink Tip or Versileader?

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

I just picked up some 7wt. GPX line for a really good deal for throwing streamers and was wondering my best option to get the streamers down where I need them. The simple answer would be adding shot but I was also looking into if someone made sink tip (like 20' or so) that I could attach right to the floating gpx to get the flies down. Is this the same overall function of a versileader? What would my best option be? Thank you!

Are you fishing stream or lake? The versileader has big loops at the connection which could be a pain. The sink tip is better no connection. I fished with an 8 weight with full sinking line which worked great for steamers in an lake for Bass and trout, also used it on the Big Horn river in the evening's for the big browns throwing big streamers. Just get a medium type sink rate and count down the seconds to your in the strike zone you want to be in. Spare spool and full sinking line is how I like to go no connection or hinge in the line.

Big-Bass wrote:
I just picked up some 7wt. GPX line for a really good deal for throwing streamers and was wondering my best option to get the streamers down where I need them. The simple answer would be adding shot but I was also looking into if someone made sink tip (like 20' or so) that I could attach right to the floating gpx to get the flies down. Is this the same overall function of a versileader? What would my best option be? Thank you!

Polyleaders are made to be attached, loop-to-loop to your floating line to act as a sinktip. They are tapered for more efficient casting vs the straight leadcore sinktips of the past. Most polyleaders are 7' or 10' in length and are sold with different sink rates from intermediate > superfast sinking.

Polyleaders work well to a point. But, the heavier the sink tip, the more difficult it may be to cast, since you will likely overload your rod. I would guess a 20' sink tip would overweight your rod, since the weight fly line alone loads your rod.

I have a Versaleader for my saltwater rod and agree with Coudersportguy that the loops would be a pain to deal with with shorter casts in freshwater .

I talked to him and made a few suggestions. I tried poly leaders and they work pretty well. I also had a 12' section of t-14 that I attempted to used. It would have been a good set up to fish in a quarry. LOL.

First choice would be a second spool with a sink tip line. I don't think he's going that route so I suggested.......

Picking up a few 7' poly leaders in different sink rates which can handle most smaller streamers or swimming numphs. I also suggested getting a 7' sink tip made with a 6"-7" options sink rate for deeper water or chucking chew toys.

Any other options he should add to his vest?

In my opinion Poly leaders cast terribly. Sink tip lines cast far better, and no connections to get snagged in the guides.

Some thoughts here that might be helpful: http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/polyleaders-vs-sink-tips/7712728

Why does the connection on the poly leader/versi leader come into play?

You guys strip in far enough where it comes into your guides? I'd bet for most streams/rivers you can get away with a 7' poly leader and a 4-5' mono/flouro tippet section. I don't see why the connection going through the guides is an issue. Using a shooting head makes it a lot easier to cast sink tips or poly leaders.

Back