Show up if you want to JAM

Just finished golf. Headed to Hancock. Straight to bed.

Maybe but at least I remembered my oars.

Got into the room at 6:30-ish. Some number I don't recognize keeps calling me. It's Brandon using his clients phone. They were disoriented in the fog and couldn't find the ramp. He described where he was at and I told him he had 3 more miles to go. Just at that time, they got hung on a rock in the dark. He called me back 30 seconds later. The client got out to help push the boat off of the rock. As he jumped back in, he kicked the oar out of the lock. GONE. I had to go on recon to find them as they walked the boat a 1/2 mile in the dark. Freakin hilarious.

Ouch, that sucks but sooooo funny.

krayfish wrote:
Got into the room at 6:30-ish. Some number I don't recognize keeps calling me. It's Brandon using his clients phone. They were disoriented in the fog and couldn't find the ramp. He described where he was at and I told him he had 3 more miles to go. Just at that time, they got hung on a rock in the dark. He called me back 30 seconds later. The client got out to help push the boat off of the rock. As he jumped back in, he kicked the oar out of the lock. GONE. I had to go on recon to find them as they walked the boat a 1/2 mile in the dark. Freakin hilarious.

Did the client give him a good tip?!? :-o

Funny stuff! That's happened to me before in a boat, after dark on the D River, when the fog rolls. Believe it or not, I couldn't even tell which way the boat is travelling, let alone know where I was on the river. I had to put an oar in the water to see which way it goes to just determine which way is downstream!....true story.

Tom,
My understanding is that the tip was a Scott S4 (9', 5wt) with a Lamson Litespeed reel. I would have handed him the other oar and told him he gets to toss that one as well. LOL He's lucky I was in town to grab him or he was walking miles and miles in the dark to reach his car. I now have to go get thr boat this morning since he has to open the fly shop. Hope he tips me a Scott S4.

This will likely shape up to be one of "those" trips! LOL! Krayfish running navigator on a Clack craft, via cell phone. If Brandon got any tip at all, I hope it covers the cost of a new oar!

$900 rod and reel trumps cost of oar.

Wait where did the Scott fly rod tip come into this story? You just said a client knocked out an oar.

Any reports from today (thurs)? I'll be up on friday late morning, Phil C is headed to Pulaski and will meet up in Hancock friday evening. It sure looks like olives should be happening.

Will be arriving Hancock sometime late Friday afternoon or probably evening and will look for you guys at the Capra on Sat night.

Edit: Correction - Friday night

Dryflyguy,

Nice fishing with you last night. Thanks for taking pics of my 1st ever Walleye. I have to say that it was the last thing I ever expected to catch, a Walleye, up there in the West Branch of the Delaware, on a black marabou streamer no less. Was hoping that it was a big brown, but, a new species on the fly is always cool. (20" wild walleye)

Hope That you get some good hatches today! Jam On!!!

How do post pics on here?

-Jim

-Jim

-Jim

Ok. Figured out the photo trick.

Welcome to the forum. That was a very nice walleye (and mighty tasty too). :)

Thanks! How's The Jam going up there on the WB?

Well, speaking just for myself, the fishing was poor. I got one rainbow and missed one on Friday evening wading above Hancock but that was it for me. Lots of bugs, mostly #16 gray caddis but the fish weren't on them. Got home late yesterday - some of the crew are still fishing.
Things got off to to a slow start on Sat - blustery winds and rain. When the wind and rain didn't let up, DaveS and I wade fished the West Branch. I had hoped for BWOs or streamer action with the very dark skies and rain but no luck. After lunch, I made a final stop on the main stem several miles downstream from Hancock - the rain had stopped but it was still windy and cold. No surface activity and no hits on a streamer - headed home at about 4pm. Some of the other fellas did go up the East Branch or the upper WB in NY on Saturday. Hopefully they had better luck.

That's a neat walleye by the way and not a very common catch for a fly fisher, esp one that large. It was cooked up, along with some very good venison steaks, on Friday evening. Thanks for the donation. :)

Thanks. Good to hear that it was enjoyed by the gang.

Can't wait to get back up there to chase that trophy brown.

Not used to seeing so many different bugs hatching on the water.

Need to tie some more dry flys!!!

Thanks for the report. Good to hear that you hooked up. I hope the other guys did well also.

Fly-n-lion,

Welcome. The hatches were actually not that great until Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon things perked up a bit. I'd suggest the book by Paul Weamer and that will greatly assist you in putting together a nice fly box for the rivers.

I'm waiting to have photos forwarded from everybody and then I'll put up a final report.

Dave,

Thanks again for the painting. I'll talk to Coz or Dan from the FUDR to see how they want to handle it. I may just get it framed and in the FUDR raffle for next JAM. Brandon, Josh and DaveS all wanted to get their hands on it.

Back