Seeking recommendations/referrals for casting instruction.

Kms

Soooo my casting and presentation range from mediocre to crap, and while I wouldn’t say no to someone volunteering to spend an hour or two teaching me, I’m also willing to pay a reasonable amount for a couple hours of formal, solo, instruction - so long as it’s actually good.

I did the free Orvis classes - which were ok - but I would like someone to act like any other professional sports coach, i.e, demonstrate, watch me, diagnose my errors and prescribe correction. I see that Bean offers solo instruction in Quakertown and Downingtown, but I thought I would check here first.

Does anyone know of any good instructors in SEPA?

TIA.

Last edited:
Dear kms,

Sky Blue Outfitters is an active participant on this board. Just run the search function here, or on google to learn more about them. The HQ is in Berks County, but they guide and offer instruction all over the state.

Check them out and ask about instructions. I'm sure they can help you out.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I'll coach ya for free. Ya just gotta drive to Central PA.

If I were you, I'd just keep practicing and fishing. It will come. Watch those Orvis videos with Pete Kutzer.

I can't help with a recommendation for an instructor, but I still would like to add my 2 cents.

I yard cast a lot. I set up markers at 20, 30, 40 and 50 feet and cast away. The more I practice, the more prepared I am when I go fishing. If I go a while without practicing I notice it big time when I get back to it. Repetition makes a huge difference.

if you hire someone I would recommend that they coach you on something other than a lawn or a wide open stream section. All those clock positions etc. become less relevant when fishing under real conditions. If they aren't teaching you side arm, steeple cast and couple of more your fishing won't progress. I think most people do well watching videos and having beginner lessons under the idealized conditions.

I might suggest a guided trip with a focus on casting and presentation instruction. A lot can be learned casting in a lawn, but as others mentioned casting on the stream is most important. I know there has to be some guides who would help you in this way.

I might suggest a guided trip with a focus on casting and presentation instruction. A lot can be learned casting in a lawn, but as others mentioned casting on the stream is most important. I know there has to be some guides who would help you in this way.

I was going to say the same thing. At least then the money is spent on actual fishing. You could emphasize that you want to work on casting right from reaching out to the outfitter / guide, so you make sure you don't get someone who plans to have you just lob a bobber all day.

I also think practice on stillwater is really valuable. Find a spot you can wade way out and cast in a wide open space. Sure, it doesn't train you for some aspects of moving water, but it does provide a really good setting to focus on mechanics, develop muscle memory, watch your loops in the air, etc. Plus, again, there's probably more fish than in your lawn.

All good ideas, but in the end if you find a reputable, professional casting instructor, ultimately it should be up to them to decide where the student is in their development and where they should be practicing to work on whatever techniques they need to improve on.

The OP said his casting is "mediocre to crap."

So, I think the casting lessons SHOULD be done on a lawn.

Because it sounds like he does not have the fundamentals of casting. And those are best taught on a lawn.

After learning the most basic fly casting (casting on your strong side), then side arm and backhand casting should be taught, also on the lawn.

Once you learn these 3 basic casts, THEN you're ready to move to the stream.

Use the above link to search for casting instructors in your area.
Then, as was mentioned above, practice what you learned on your own. Then hire a guide to teach you on the water. That will shorten the learning curve immensely.

Go to Fly Fishers International's web site. Place pointer on the word 'Learn". Select 'Casting Instruction' from the drop down lists. Scroll down that page, and click on 'Find a Casting Instructor'. Enter 'Pennsylvania' in the first box under United States. You'll get a list of 21 FFI Certified Casting Instructors and Certified Master Casting Instructors across Pennsylvania. Then, you can contact instructors in your area to inquire about lessons.

All good ideas, but in the end if you find a reputable, professional casting instructor, ultimately it should be up to them to decide where the student is in their development and where they should be practicing to work on whatever techniques they need to improve on.
That’s what I would like. I’m expert in other areas - but not this one - and would rather have someone provide focused, structured training and guidance.

Go to Fly Fishers International's web site. Place pointer on the word 'Learn". Select 'Casting Instruction' from the drop down lists. Scroll down that page, and click on 'Find a Casting Instructor'. Enter 'Pennsylvania' in the first box under United States. You'll get a list of 21 FFI Certified Casting Instructors and Certified Master Casting Instructors across Pennsylvania. Then, you can contact instructors in your area to inquire about lessons.
I will check that out. Thx!

I was going to say the same thing. At least then the money is spent on actual fishing. You could emphasize that you want to work on casting right from reaching out to the outfitter / guide, so you make sure you don't get someone who plans to have you just lob a bobber all day.

I also think practice on stillwater is really valuable. Find a spot you can wade way out and cast in a wide open space. Sure, it doesn't train you for some aspects of moving water, but it does provide a really good setting to focus on mechanics, develop muscle memory, watch your loops in the air, etc. Plus, again, there's probably more fish than in your lawn.
With respect, I would prefer to focus exclusively on expert casting instruction.

Because it sounds like he does not have the fundamentals of casting. And those are best taught on a lawn.

After learning the most basic fly casting (casting on your strong side), then side arm and backhand casting should be taught, also on the lawn.

I agree. I do not have the basics down, or at least not with sufficient consistency that my lack of skill doesnt inhibit my fishing.

Last edited:
With respect, I would prefer to focus exclusively on expert casting instruction.
Meh, I can't totally agree with you on that one. The difference between being an "expert" or a "pro" often times just means you get paid for it. That does not always equal "better" at something, especially in today's world where anyone can do easily promote themselves and make their credentials appear legit.

I know some guides who don't know their elbows from their assholes. Nothing against guides, but I'd be pissed if I paid for their "expertise." I actually fully agree with Hooker. If I were you, keep fishing. Real life experience is the best practice there is.

If you think it's a good use of money for casting instruction, then have at it.

Exactly. I do not have the basics down, or at least not with sufficient consistency that my lack of skill doesn’t inhibit my fishing.

Last edited:
Meh, I can't totally agree with you on that one. The difference between being an "expert" or a "pro" often times just means you get paid for it. That does not always equal "better" at something, especially in today's world where anyone can do easily promote themselves and make their credentials appear legit.

I know some guides who don't know their elbows from their assholes. Nothing against guides, but I'd be pissed if I paid for their "expertise." I actually fully agree with Hooker. If I were you, keep fishing. Real life experience is the best practice there is.

If you think it's a good use of money for casting instruction, then have at it.
Hence I’m seeking a casting instructor, not a guide, and references for one who is known to be skilled.

For some things I’m happy to muddle through on my own, but for others I prefer to acquire good habits from the jump, and thereby avoid having to unlearn the bad habits I would have otherwise developed.

I want to enjoy fly fishing, and so the sooner I can consistently cast decently the better.

Last edited:
Here is my take on this, with perhaps some extra background. I started fly fishing at 13, am now 39. I was never formally taught how to cast, so I developed some bad habits. In the past few years I have made time to fish with guides, and quickly learned how inadequate my casting was. Distance, accuracy, casting long (14' leaders) and into headwinds were all more difficult when "my way" was not working. I had to un-learn my bad habits in order to find incremental improvement in these areas.

Lawn casting helps, but I would suggest setting up your phone to record your cast. You need to see what your mechanics look like (arm/wrist position, extension, posture, etc) so you can become a better judge of where to make changes. When I started recording, and then watching, and then observing, that is when my casting improved. Another thing was focusing on one aspect at a time. Timing, elbow position, wrist movement, then hauling, etc. and not trying to fix more than one or two things at a time.

Once you are confident in the casting mechanics, working on the water as others have said is critical. You have to apply those fundamentals in concert with line management, mending, obstacles, weather, etc in order to really put the game together.

If I could give one last piece of advice from what I have re-learned in the last few years. If I had 100 hours to prepare for a trip, I would spend 90 focused on casting, presentation, mending, drift, etc practice and 10 on the flies. It turns out that a simple/basic fly is all you need if your presentation is great. I spent the previous 10 years with the wrong balance of what I thought was important. Good luck!

If I could give one last piece of advice from what I have re-learned in the last few years. If I had 100 hours to prepare for a trip, I would spend 90 focused on casting, presentation, mending, drift, etc practice and 10 on the flies.
It hasn’t taken me long to realize what isn’t news to anyone here: fly fishing is casting. If my casting isn’t on point, nothing else matters, and it isn’t, so there ya go.

Back