Schuykill Co weekend get away

mute

mute

Hello All,

I'm taking close to a 2hr trip to the Schuykill haven\pine grove\hamburg area this weekend. My brother and I are testing out his new RV in a campground up there. While ive fished a few streams up in this area in the Weiser forest in port clinton I was hoping for some locals advice on where to get into some fish. Yes ive scoured the arcgis maps and theres hundreds of blue lines if not more in this region.

However since we only have about 8 hours of Saturday to fish this isnt a situation where we have weeks of time to explore every fishy water up there. However i will be doing that myself as i start up my personal diary come 2021.

With that in mind, im looking for some local advice to atleast get him on a few fish, stocked or otherwise. It would be nice if I could get recommended a stream with easier access and a high probability of fish population. And even maybe a more remote \ wild stream where it may require more skill and effort if time permits.

From my brief research I think for situation 1 the Little Schuykill may suffice? Is it highly probably that fishing the lower section at the confluence of the Schuykill river this time of year by Port Clinton would be a good section to hopefully land a fish or two? I know of the DH stretch up by Rausch as well, but have never fished so dont know what to expect this time of year.

As far as wild streams ive heard Bear creek wouldnt be a bad place to spend some efforts to maybe get into a wild fish or two? Without people giving up their honey holes or anything of the sort im just looking for the best bang for the buck in that immediate area that would allow for a few fish and a good time to be had during a Saturday afternoon. Unfornuately as ive mentioned i havent put my own time into this area yet to determine where the publically accessible sections are and which are worth it on all these bodies of water up here.

The Port Clinton stretch is SMB/fallfish water in summer. Too warm for trout so any trout there this fall would be quite sparse. The DHALO section gets warm in summer as well. It might hold some fish over from spring in some years, but not in abundance. If you are looking for the combination of holdovers from spring, wild trout, and access to the the Ltl Sch R, look from Tamaqua upstream to just above the confluence of Locust Ck. This is the section that has been stocked for decades and it stays cold. Alternatively, you could fish the main Schuylkill . It is fingerling stocked annually from Fritz Reed Park in Schuylkill Haven upstream to near the confluence of Tumbling Run, about a half mile to a mile below Pottsville.

Mike wrote:
The Port Clinton stretch is SMB/fallfish water in summer. Too warm for trout so any trout there this fall would be quite sparse. The DHALO section gets warm in summer as well. It might hold some fish over from spring in some years, but not in abundance. If you are looking for the combination of holdovers from spring, wild trout, and access to the the Ltl Sch R, look from Tamaqua upstream to just above the confluence of Locust Ck. This is the section that has been stocked for decades and it stays cold. Alternatively, you could fish the main Schuylkill . It is fingerling stocked annually from Fritz Reed Park in Schuylkill Haven upstream to near the confluence of Tumbling Run, about a half mile to a mile below Pottsville.

Thanks as always Mike. I was unaware the mid and lower sections of the little schuykill were that sparse after spring. I would of thought Dhalo sections were specifically more fishable year round.

Sounds like ill have to go a bit further north in the upper Tamqua sections like you mentioned. Im wondering in terms of better overall success of hooking up with a few fish, stocked or wild that travelling south and just hitting the Tulpahocken would be more beneficial?

mute wrote:
Mike wrote:

Thanks as always Mike. I was unaware the mid and lower sections of the little schuykill were that sparse after spring. I would of thought Dhalo sections were specifically more fishable year round.

Sounds like ill have to go a bit further north in the upper Tamqua sections like you mentioned. Im wondering in terms of better overall success of hooking up with a few fish, stocked or wild that travelling south and just hitting the Tulpahocken would be more beneficial?

A trip down to the Tully from where you will be staying would be a good idea. Not having to worry about the spawning trout in the wild trout streams in the area and targeting stocked trout may lead to a more productive day fishing. Good luck.

The auburn stretch of the schuykill may surprise you.

Back