Salmon River

Salmon 5//Pennypack 0
....Spent a wonderful Friday on the Salmon River.....Used imitation Salmon eggs with my 8wt flyrod... I hooked up with five monsters...The longest battle I have ever had - lasted 25 minutes and I still didn't get my salmon. (It was catch and release whether I wanted or not) Just when I thought it was all over for the fish - it would get its second wind and take off again.
This is an incredible fishery for sure, and I am glad I have experienced it. I'm going up this coming weekend.

A few things I learned are:
a. The fish were playing me and not the other way..
b. It is more challenging to catch with artificials than real salmon eggs. (guy's around were spincasting with salmon eggs). I didn't have any real hookups until they left.
c. "I need a bigger net". Bought one already...
d. Just cause you point the fish towards shore does not mean its going to cooperate.
e. My homemade florocarbon Leaders/Tippets allowed the salmon egg to sink quicker than the store boughten ones. Thus getting them in the strike zone sooner.

When you say "able to get them in the strike zone quicker" you mean their tail, correct?

Glad you had a good trip Penny. Sounds similar to my first outing there. 10 days left for me. Heard a good amount of steel and browns made their way up this past weekend.

SBecker:
I only hooked one in the tail the whole day I was there....and as I stated: "Salmon 5/Pennypack 0". I would have let that one go, anyway. I do understand what your talking about when I saw plenty of lures attached to salmon from other fisherpersons.
One of the guys there notice one fish had a big hole in it - like from a shotgun blast.
All fish have a strike zone (meaning that the lure reaches the proper depth where they will be most likely to bite). However Im sure that you were already aware of that.

Ryguyfi:
I was too amazed at the sheer size of wakes without there being a boat in the water. I did not notice of any Stealheads or Browns. I will take a closer look this weekend.

Shotgun blast in the side of a fish? All I can say is WOW. Sounds like he's not having any trouble getting down into the strike zone. If you fish with a gun, you suck as a person and as an angler. LOL.

Wish I had a gun on me when fishing the Delaware a few times.

Tisk tisk....such hostility. Remember looked like and wuz can be different things. Fish was not caught by anyone in the area to confirm whether it had a hole in it or not.

Why would anyone need a gun on the Delaware? - unless its for protection during bear season.

I dunno, sometimes I wish I had a gun to shoot the 50 fish rising in front of me and are only feeding on a size 34 pseudo hatch, even though size 10 ISO's, size 10 March browns, and size 16-18 sulphurs are blanketing the water.

I thought you were talking about shooting me! Not my fault we did a 13 mile float with a sustained 30 mph upriver wind. Lmao. What do I know?

As for shooting a salmon, that would be pretty low but wouldn't surprise me. That place has a little "wild west" feeling for 6 weeks out of the year. I prefer using a Phillies souvenir bat to harvest my limit / get fertilizer for the garden.

Lol thankfully I have never floated with you in bad winds. I back out on those trips ahead of time, then I find out from Dave the fishing was horrible. It is why I am hoping I did not curse you guys for this week.

Reports are really good right now. Just need friendly weather and the trainee back on the gate at cannonsville. They were supposed to drop the flow and turned it the wrong way and sent 1250 cfs down river by accident then freaked out and shut it off to 3 cfs. Coz looked at the 1250 flow, launched and then was dragging his clients. LOL

Why is it always 1400 on the SR when I go steelheading. If I get up in Nov, hope is still 300 cfs so I can wade without fear of dying.

krayfish wrote:
Reports are really good right now. Just need friendly weather and the trainee back on the gate at cannonsville. They were supposed to drop the flow and turned it the wrong way and sent 1250 cfs down river by accident then freaked out and shut it off to 3 cfs. Coz looked at the 1250 flow, launched and then was dragging his clients. LOL

Why is it always 1400 on the SR when I go steelheading. If I get up in Nov, hope is still 300 cfs so I can wade without fear of dying.

Be carefull I hear there is allot of mud sharks in that river :-o

Nah, they post it as a mud shark free area. If Same had his way, they'd stock cohos and steelhead in there though.

Chrome!

I'm pretty sure I could go the rest of my life without seeing 250 "flossers" in the junction pool.

I'd claim that 'chrome' could never make it due to the septic tank down river. Now I'm not sure. Others are saying there's already sea run trouts that exist in the D. Since he's the closest to Easton, maybe Gary can ride his pet unicorn over to check it out.

Just got a call to correct me. Gary does not have a pet unicorn but he will be hunting mountian lions in the Easton area this weekend. He'll post a full report next week.

I thought that they have chrome in the Lehigh now

SBecker: I call it the "Pizza Syndrome" effect.....Can you eat the same pizza day after day for weeks on end? If not - why would you expect trout to do the same?
Also, One of the reasons we have such a variety of lures/Flies is because fish learn from their mistakes. A caught Trout or Bass that's released back already has a bad taste in its mouth and it will be reluctunt to strike the same lure again for awhile. I believe stocked trout that are caught and released several times parish because they become so spooked that they wont eat anything and thus starve to death. I don't have any scientific data to back this up - I just analysis things a little different.

Listen you don't have to lecture me on why we carry a billion flies and they won't eat one of them. Also, don't give it a cute freaking name, just say the real reason......fish are Aholes.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
by evofly on 2012/9/27 14:03:21
Penny - where are you staying?

My girlfriend and I got a motel in North Syracuse for Thursday night. We will finish up the trip in the morning and purchase our Fishing license at Whitaker's Sport Store around 7:00 a.m.

Are you interested in hooking (no pun intended) up?

Cell Phone# 267-338-8753

Sorry I missed this. I may be heading up the 11th or 12th. Still on the fence though.

Back