Salmon River

by evofly on 2012/9/27 14:03:21
Penny - where are you staying?

My girlfriend and I got a motel in North Syracuse for Thursday night. We will finish up the trip in the morning and purchase our Fishing license at Whitaker's Sport Store around 7:00 a.m.

Are you interested in hooking (no pun intended) up?

Cell Phone# 267-338-8753

This is from the stream reports tab and it says it all:

Salmon River 9/22-9/24 #1

Well, here is the honest assessment on the Salmon. Fish are In the river and it is quite a few of them. The lower river is an absolute zoo! The antics on the river with the low water are disgusting but honestly its impossible to not foul hook fish. Back to the low water it is as bad as I have ever seen it. Most fish are held up in the deep holes and when they come out they get wacked easily so its very hard for them to run up. The reservoir is drastically low and more than likely the low water is here to stay through steelhead season. All in all its always nice to spend time up there beautiful river despite the people and fall is in full swing! If your headed up my advice take your camera relax watch the crazies and leave with low expectations.

Don't forget this beauty. Lots of room for you to try out a new spey rod or make beautiful flowing backcasts. Mmmmm. Enjoy

blank post

Just watched a few videos. Count me out. Looks like the biggest sh*t show I have ever seen. I much rather be stuck on a beach with a bunch of New Yorkers who are spin fishing rather be with a bunch with fly rods in their hands. Probably more dangerous then walking in north Philly. I'm also planing on getting my salmon On the fly when I'm in Ireland for the summer.

Btw does anyone have any good spay or switch rod that I should look into

I'm sure there's more to it than what I see in the vids, but that doesn't look like anything I ever want to take part in. This is not fly fishing.

I'll be in Erie for a day next week... taking pictures of the circus, and searching the bay for carp if conditions permit.

The kool aid was tasting good for a minute and I almost went up last Sunday...saw some pics of the crowds at staircase and decided to bail...
I'll be heading down 81 in a couple weeks, booked a room for the night but still not 100%

Another false statement, stout rods are needed (I agree). Heavy hooks are a must-not true. Unless you count a beadhead woolybugger or egg-sucking leach Size 10 or 12 as a heavy hook. Anyway, do people snag, floss, lift? Yes. Is it sometimes a zoo? Yes, but it's also possible to get away from the crowds. Do the majority of the fly-fishermen fish ethically for Salmon/Steelhead? In my opinion, yes.
My flossing technique must be stellar for a fair hook rate of at least 95% in the jaw. I've stated my views, over and out.

P.S. The fish in the Upper Section will have very clean teeth after Tuesday, after a visit to this "dentist."

ponner1us wrote:
P.S. The fish in the Upper Section will have very clean teeth after Tuesday, after a visit to this "dentist."

You're the man...all hail

Oral B needs to reconsider their business model

I'm so tired of hearing people complain about everything that goes on in NY during the salmon run. Guess I grew up in Oswego and fished the Oswego and Salmon rivers and all the creeks in between. 90% of the snaggers have non-resident fishing licenses. Every person I have ever talked to while fishing on the rivers and creeks up there fish clean and legit. Yes it gets crowded only cause the fish are there. For every 100 guys fishing there are 100 times that many fish. And yes they will bite but most of the times the ones that bite are the big brown trout feeding on all the eggs. Also the salmon do put up a fight. I couldnt tell you the # of times I have fished the Oswego river and had a full on muddied up shark spool me and have to fight the whole way back in. Maybe if everybody stopped complaining and stopped going off the history of up it would be ok to fish. Yes the history I say cause if you actually look back snagging is what nearly wiped out the salmon population there many laws are in place know for it but the amount of fishermen to the number of DEC officers is ridiculous.

I fancy myself as a pretty decent caster but I'm not sure I could "floss" 95% in the chops like ponner1us. Without a doubt, the SR is a zoo from mid/late Sept until Halloween. If anyone claims differently, I'd need to see proof. Are there snaggers? Sure. Flossers? Sure. And there are guys that are legit fisherman trying to catch them in the mouth. If combat fishing is your thing, go get em! Personally, you can give me every secret brook trout spot and salmon spot you know of. No chance of me ever showing up at either.

Phil, hold off until 1st or 2nd week of November. Stay from Pineville down and you'll have room to fish. The steelhead and browns will be in the river at that time and they will take your fly. The mob will follow the salmon up river like a swarm of bees. A swarm of bees has a higher IQ though. Make sure your fly line / backing connection is good because the fish can / will show you the backing especially if you get into a fresh one.

krayfish wrote:
Without a doubt, the SR is a zoo from mid/late Sept until Halloween. If anyone claims differently, I'd need to see proof.

I'd post a pic, but with the new size guidelines it's already an avatar sized pic. I was there all week. It got very crowded yesterday. There was some dude 60 yards away from me. It was like he was in my pocket. The three previous days the only people who were within 100 yards of me were crossing at the top of the riffles I was fishing.

I was using egg patterns with no weight, except for full sink line. I almost pissed myself three times because I couldn't walk away from it to take a break. I've never seen so many fish. We were bitching about kings. Breaking them off to get into the 'hos. It took a 300 yard walk and it seemed like we were miles away from the crowds.

Anybody that says it's a zoo has never walked 50 yards from the known holes or parking lots. It is what you make of it. My brother and his buddy fish the ballpark. Thursday we grabbed our lunch and stopped to watch the action. My buddy looked at me and said "If this is how I had to fish I would never come up here". I agreed.

Boyer

In November a year or two ago, we parked at the compactor and walked about 3/4 of a mile before we found an open run to fish. It was barely light and guys were everywhere with headlamps on. At least the steelheading is a bit more like fishing. My buddy Brandon has tried to get me up for kings and cohos for the last 5 years. Won't do it but he had me almost talked into it this year. If there was more water in the river during the first week of September, I might have gone. I've tried to get excited about steelheading and salmon runs but really can't find the appeal. It's not every day you catch a snaggle toothed 30 pound creature. It is a sight to see and everyone should see the spectacle of the salmon run once. I also think that it's only fair that people know what antics to expect. If I would have taken time off work, spent the gas to make the 5 hr drive because it was described to me inaccurately, I would have been cranky. I knew it was mayhem and can't do it more than once every 10 yrs or so.

There are some spots that you will rarely find another angler and if you do its only a couple over hundreds of yards. As Boyer points out anglers congregate around the parking lot areas. Part of this is due to lazy. The other part is harvesters. Ever try carrying out 100 lbs of fish? The other part is that a lot of these guys enjoy the social aspect of fishing with 100 of their "friends". Some people like different things. I know it is hard to understand that some people choose to fish differently, whether it is in masses or with center pins. Different strokes. For single minded fly fishing purist there are two fly fish only zones where you can find elitest assholes standing elbows to, well assholes. Remember the lower fly zone is closed right now due to low flows.

Good point. That's like bragging you got laid and then I congratulate you cuz she's only 15. Pointless. Enjoy you mudshark cluster F

Lol, ya while there is a Salmon River museum, there will never be a Salmon River fly fishing museum because its about as far removed from fly fishing as one can get. The Catskill fly museum is entrenched in innovative and classic fly fishing, whereas the SR museum full of baitcasters and Michigan crickets. I mean they did have to enact no snagging and lifting regulations for a reason. You can see some really disgusting behavior up there.

Back