Salmon River

ryguyfi wrote:
sorry... didn't think you could see over the TV tray to see them. :-D

I have custom made trays just for me . I just wish I never would of ordered them since I got blinded by all the florescent estaz in your junk flies . All they need now is a custom made rod to help you and Becker cast farther than ten feet to all those stockies you fish for in Erie. I hear the stockies in Erie love those junk flies ;-)

Again w/ the short jokes! He's not that short!

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Look at the bright side. He's the last one to find out it's raining, and the first one to find out it's flooding. :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

Look at the bright side. He's the last one to find out it's raining, and the first one to find out it's flooding. :cool:

Now that right there is funny :lol:

Your re-invited to come to my salt jam now Sasquatch

He may not be that short but his eyesight is fine. +1 on junk. LOL

They're some junk flies all right, and they'll catch me some WILD salmon in 2 weeks. I'm ok with fishing for stockies too. you need to take off the tweed and try it sometime.

Don't pick on the little guy, he can't help that he's short. Short people have "issues" and a chip on their shoulder. They often wear tweed type clothing to build up their self esteem. Also, I believe Fred is looking at these wading boots to help him out. Be nice, cut him a break.

Remember, good things come with small packages.

Has anyone ever fished the Douglaston Salmon Run area? Is it really private or do the mobs still move in on it? Kinda pricey at $45 a day considering the rest of the river is free other than a license.

I've never fished the salmon run so I'm turned off by all the stories I keep reading about the snagging idiots and mobs of people. I'd love though to fish the river with a 8wt for salmon or steelhead, in fact I had planned to head up during the first week or October until I started reading the stories...

afishinado wrote:
Don't pick on the little guy, he can't help that he's short. Short people have "issues" and a chip on their shoulder. They often wear tweed type clothing to build up their self esteem. Also, I believe Fred is looking at these wading boots to help him out. Be nice, cut him a break.

Remember, good things come with small packages.

^+1 on the shoes

evofly wrote:
Has anyone ever fished the Douglaston Salmon Run area? Is it really private or do the mobs still move in on it? Kinda pricey at $45 a day considering the rest of the river is free other than a license.

I've never fished the salmon run so I'm turned off by all the stories I keep reading about the snagging idiots and mobs of people. I'd love though to fish the river with a 8wt for salmon or steelhead, in fact I had planned to head up during the first week or October until I started reading the stories...

Last year we fished the DSR one day and open water 2 days. I didn't really run into to many idiots up there, but enjoyed my time very much on the DSR. So much I'm doing 2 days on the DSR this year. It's still fairly crowded, but still bearable. I think the cost keeps some people away, but it's also the best water. Freshest fish straight from the lake. I'll be on the DSR on Oct 12th and 13th. If you decide to come up and want to tag along you're more than welcome. We already have 10 guys in my group, what's 1 more.

If you do come, tie a ton of flies. You can go through them quickly up there.

Why do you go through a ton of flies? Do they get shredded by the teeth of the salmon? Nope. You lose a ton of flies because 90% of the salmon you hook will be in the freakin tail. Practice casting for 3 hours in your yard, tie your fly line to the dogs collar and its just as good as a wild salmon that isn't feeding. Actually, it's better. You'll save time, gas and you won't be elbow to elbow. BTW, far from wearing tweed. Ask anyone that's met me.

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Pennypack,
Make sure you have these colors: black/green..black...black/red...white/pink..olive...chartruse in streamers.
Estaz flies...orange..orange/red...blue...blue/red...olive....peach...red...root beer
Tie some glo bugs on #12 short hooks in various colors.
You never know what the hot color will be,you gotta have a bunch of colors.

What type of streamers - zonkers, clouser? Typical sized streamers - #8-#12? Also what size estaz flies - #12-#16? I've never fished the river so not sure what sizes are used.

ryguyfi - what type of flies do you use in your group? I saw your attachment - looks like some sort of bead head streamer, estaz flies but, couldn't tell what the other flies were. I've heard salmon eggs are another good fly to have. I just may have to head up your way the days you guys are up there - problem is I was heading up with a group of guys (5 of us including me). I'd hate for us to impede on your group though but, it would be nice to fish with guys that have fished the river before. Where are you all staying?

kray- We lost a good handful of flies to the rocks last year. just a small handful to fish. I bet the worst day we lost 15 flies a piece, give or take. But if it's all the same pattern, then you need a bunch of flies. The tweed comment wasn't for you. Just a joke actually. Why the bashing on someone enjoying a day on the water? To each his own.

evo - flies I tied

zonkers in different colors with cone heads, or bead heads.

large pink san juans. chenille was twisted to make them a bit bigger and more stable.

green weenies

estaz

Regular egg yarn eggs will work just fine too. Glo bugs, sucker spawn, etc. Also some crystal meth. I made a few hot glue eggs last night too.

my eggs range from 10-14, streamers are 4-8. Heavy gauge hooks.

"Why do you go through a ton of flies? Do they get shredded by the teeth of the salmon? Nope. You lose a ton of flies because 90% of the salmon you hook will be in the freakin tail. Practice casting for 3 hours in your yard, tie your fly line to the dogs collar and its just as good as a wild salmon that isn't feeding. Actually, it's better. You'll save time, gas and you won't be elbow to elbow. BTW, far from wearing tweed. Ask anyone that's met me."

Posted on: Yesterday 20:24

Not true, 95% of the salmon that I hook are in the jaw. They will hit flies out of aggression. Will you foul-hook a few? Sure, but the vast majority will be fair. That post is ignorant.

I'm leaving to go to the Salmon River at 6pm tonight....be hitting the river Friday.....Whether I catch anything with what I got makes little difference to me. I'm not at work!!

Since the fish aren't afraid to get wet - neither will I be.

Yes, I took some of your advices and got a motel room for the night and purchased various color steamers etc. Thanks for all the pointers and hopefully I will be successful with the salmon this weekend.

I'll take some "action" on a bet that 95% of fish art hooked in the pie hole. It is quite a sight to see and once in a while, one will strike the fly. In general though, it's a casting / flossing / snagging drill. Not my cup of tea and the crowds make it even less appealing. You guys have fun. Heavy hooks and a stout rod are a must.

Back