Rio Grand vs SA GPX

krayfish

krayfish

I couldn't find this topic in the search but that's probably due to my ignorance / lack of web skilz.

I was wondering who has used both and what their take was on each line. Both are listed to be about 1/2 weight over standard. The Grand has a shorter head than the GPX. I realize that due to the shorter heads, they won't roll cast well or at least roll casting running line is out of my league.

I'm guessing that the Grand will load the rod better at short distance. I'm questioning 3 things....... presentation, distance and durability. I've heard that the GPX gives a softer presentation, it has a harder finish and that the GPX has issues with the front section of the line wanting to sink. Rio is to float better but reviews said the line gets 'sticky' and gunked up easily. I've been using Gold since they came out with it and haven't noticed a 'sticky' issue with the finish.

The intended rod and purpose for the line is a 9' 6wt Sage VXP. I tossed it in the backyard with 6wt Gold and wasn't impressed. Rod felt a little dead and the line didn't shoot very well. Some of that may have to do with the line being stiff from the temps. I plan on using it for dries during windy days or tossing tube streamers on a poly leader. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have the Grand in 7wt and used it mostly for steelhead nymph rigs and now Clousers and foam/deer hair bugs for bass which it does ok with. I also have the GPX in a 4wt and, to me, it feels like it lays out a dry fly a little softer but doesn't mind nymph work either. Who knows though. Comparing 2 different tapers in 2 different line sizes probably isn't fair. As far as durability, I fish the Rio hard all summer in the mighty Allegheny (concrete banks, sewage outflows, shopping carts, catfish) and it has held up well. The S.A. line usually only sees trout streams.

In an ideal world it would be nice to have 2 lines for your VXP. A line for windy days and big dries and another shorter head line for versi/polys and tubes.

I have 5wgt sharkskin gpx....I believe its advertised as a half line wgt heavier. I paired it with a sage vantage to load a little better close in. The sharkskin is something to get used to though....it definitely zips through the guides (meaning literally sounds like a zipper). Overall it casts well in my opinion. I haven't noticed any tip sink more than other quality lines I have had in the past.

According to Rio website the grand is a full line size heavier. This could be the reason for difference in presentation being subtle but noticeable, but it would be hard to say this is exact without looking at the grain weights of both lines.

I'm by no means an expert. I think the grand is 1 full size heavier. Although I didn't set out for it to work out like this, I've been using rio gold lines 1 size up and i'm happy with my results. My rods are listed as fast action and I feel like the one size up works good for me.

Back