Rio Fly Lines

sandfly wrote:
I still have Cortland and rio's that are over 10 years old and still going strong. but I use the right cleaners on them. I am rough on stuff fishing close to 250 days a year.

What are you using to clean your lines.

I think RIO makes a decent line. I have had a smallmouth line of theirs crack at the tip after 15 minutes of lawn casting to see how it performed on my rod. I called RIO and they replaced it. The guy on the phone also told me that the lawn is one of the worst places to cast a line because the grass will abrade the line. WTF, really?! Anyway, I like their lines and how the perform but I'm not crazy about the way their molded loops are created. They have a defined line where the weld was made and I wonder if it's not a weak point.

fishngun,
I've found that all my Rio lines cast better with the loop cut off and the leader nail knotted.

My problem is not with their coatings, though I find the coating inferior. My problem is their tapers. They have a dead spot at 60' or so where they don't like to load. Both the grande and gold. Once you break that spot they'll load again.

They have a dead spot at 60' or so where they don't like to load. Both the grande and gold. Once you break that spot they'll load again.

I've not (yet) encountered that with the Perception I've been using heavily for the past season and a half...or the Grand I've used lightly* for 2-3...certainly not meant to be taken as an assertion it doesn't exist, just that I've not encountered it.

What do you suppose causes it? Too abrupt of a rear taper?

Yeah, I think the rear taper drops off too quick.

Anyone else think the coating is 'sticky'? Doesn't go through the guides a nicely as some lines. I've had a perception line sitting here for a while. Might have to try it this spring.

If anything, of the lines I've used regularly, a Cortland 444 peach line and a SA GPX probably would be the ones I'd be most likely to call "sticky".

I didn't think the coating to be "sticky" on the Rio.

That said, my non-textured SA shoots a lot better. That could be attributed to difference in taper too.

I find the RIO lines to get sticky in warmer weather unless they are a warm weather line.
As far as a dead spot in the line at 60', shouldn't you be shooting line by that point and not trying to carry it all in the air?

+1 to previous post.

I had a long talk with Walt from Catskill Flies not too long ago about WF line collapse on long casts. That's basically running line beyond the head / main body of the line on many of the popular tapers sold. DT is thicker in the body and may support more line in the air but doesn't shoot as well and / or it isn't as powerful in the wind. Any thoughts?

Yes, The Rio Gold I fished seems to get a dip behind the head when shooting line. Not so with the Perception which I'm really getting to like once I cut the welded loop off. I'm only guessing but it seems that either the welded loop is to heavy, bulky or hinges. I could feel it in my cast. Once I cut off the loop, everything came together.

Back