Rainfall

Yep, it's looking like rain tomorrow and a chance Sat.
Dear wildtrout2,

The SE and Eastern part of the state look like they will get more rain and possibly much more rain than the Central region.

That's a good thing because today for the first time since Fall arrived it was dry enough to do dog **** patrol and not have to pick up oatmeal! ;)

Our dog is only 50 pounds, but he ****'s like a 600 pound gorilla!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I was in Carlisle last week and over the weekend and it rained continuously from Friday evening through Sunday when I headed home.

The weather station at Carlisle Barracks recorded 5.04" from last Wednesday through today!! :eek:

Conversely at my home, my personal weather station recorded exactly 2" of rain during the same period.

Last edited:
That rain stayed mostly along the coast, can't rely on the forcasting.
So you're saying PA is on the coast? The MOST rain was on the the coast but the rain was not MOSTLY on the the coast. Those are not the same thing. 4+ inches of rain is a lot of rain.

So you're saying PA is on the coast? The MOST rain was on the the coast but the rain was not MOSTLY on the the coast. Those are not the same thing. 4+ inches of rain is a lot of rain.
No, I'm saying the Philly forcast called for heavy rain here, and the coastline got it. It WAS mostly along the coast.

I check my guage today and it was reading 2.5 inches for all the rain we received In Boilingspring in the last week.
Acording to ABC 21 Hbg. we are still down over 5 inches for the year.

It was still raining at the Jersey Shore (the on in New Jersey) as of noon today.

I check my guage today and it was reading 2.5 inches for all the rain we received In Boilingspring in the last week.
Acording to ABC 21 Hbg. we are still down over 5 inches for the year.

It's crazy...

I've looked at personal weather station data for both Carlisle & Boiling Springs over last weekend's rain as I was in Carlisle that weekend.

The rainfall in Carlisle at two different weather stations was 4' - 5" depending on the location while Boiling Springs was around 2.5.

Quite a difference for two areas so close to one another....

I had the opportunity to visit some of the streams in the Lehigh Valley and Berks County this past week. The Bushkill in Easton was devastating low. Like 3 feet below bank full and 1 and 1/2 feet below what I would consider fall norms of October. Perkiomen and West Branch were very low. Manatawny was low but not unusually bad for this time of year. Was told that last winter's precipitation did not adequately recharge the groundwater. Fish was tough.

The strange thing about the observations of low water levels of individual streams is the Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers have been well above the median flow for nearly the last four months. One would assume the entire watershed would be higher than normal.

Here in Lancaster County it doesn't seem to bad. Lawns were not burned out at all this summer around me. They were getting brown in the early summer but recovered. Penns seems good for this time of year. USGS says streamflows are almost all 25-75%. Looks like a few places with lower streamflows. Philly North to Lehigh Valley and York County look a bit lower which may explain Bushkill and Maurice's stream report from Muddy.

Another storm coming up probably dump a bunch of rain on the Atlantic coast and leave Central Pennsylvania with a smattering.

Back