Purchasing Mayfly Nymph Materials

T

tctrout

In my recent video, I discuss many recommended materials for tying mayfly nymphs. I tried to keep the list to a minimum, but if there is anything you feel I missed, please take a moment to comment on the actual YouTube page. This is Part 1 of 2, and I look forward to releasing the next one in a few weeks. Thanks!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw38_JeO4kM[/youtube]

I'll watch the video this weekend but seems that pheasant tail, copper wire, peacock herl and thread should cover most peoples' needs.

I enjoyed it..... as always. Thanks Tim!

ditto what mcsneek posted

practically any fly tying material can be used to tie mayfly nymphs

Nymph materials can come from virtually everywhere. However, most of us tend to tie a set stable of favorites for our own boxes. That's when the narrowing down of materials are possible. And while you "can" narrow things down....few of us have the willpower to do so. LOL

Good video.

Thanks for the comments, and you're welcome, Rolf!

CRB: The hare's mask/dubbing will be in Part 2, where materials such as legs, dubbing, and hot spots on the nymphs will be discussed.

To respond to some comments with other materials, the intent of this is to help beginner and intermediate tyers select from the ever-growing assortment that's out there, with an examination of each part of a mayfly nymph, and possible matching materials. Some of the most common emails I received are regarding hook and dubbing selection, thus I wanted to ensure I hit those thoroughly. I also took time to create tiers of materials, with the second tier being optional materials. It was tough to create a true narrowed list, but I didn't want to go too short, knowing that many tyers use an assortment to match the natural mayfly nymphs. I'm looking forward to Part 2, and it should be live in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all of the comments,

TC

Back