Posted Land on Penns Creek

I posted link link before. You can read about
it. There was some discussion on it in the forum too about that time

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/29/3277371/rail-or-derail.html

One way to keep access is to pick up trash left by others. My experience on the J is that warms the heart of someone considering posting their land due to the actions of a few slobs.
serves as a reminder of the good people who use the land

I guess I'm not really sure who the landowner is inthis matter? There is an older couple back that road. I've always had positive conversations with him and his wife. I helped them look for thier dog one time last year. A beagle I think. There are several houses/cabins back that lane. There also appears to be someone living(?) on the other side of the creek too. Who owns the bridge?

On a note closer to the point it would be a shame to loose this parking area. If people would just be considerate of others this type of thing wouldn't happen. If that lot is full then just move on. Let's remember this is fishing, and an outlet/recreation.

They dont own the bridge as far as I know. Yes people live on the other side of the stream. There are 2 older couples that live on the road and people as well. I have never had a problem with anyone around.

I also am curious about who owns the bridge. Does anyone know?

if the bridge was owned by the railroad (it is an old RR bridge, right?), when they abandoned the rails the land goes back to the land owner. I assume this applies to the bridge.

I'm not sure it matters a lot who owns the bridge, if the private landowner on either end of it declines to allow public access. If there were a public road crossing the bridge then there might be an easement allowing the public to scrabble down the bank to access the river immediately adjacent to the bridge within the existing right-of-way. But based on the reports this is private land with no easement giving access even to the former railroad bed itself.

Well, I think it could be argued that the streambed itself is navigable, and thus public. I'm not sure how that applies to the bridge over the stream, but I can't really imagine manmade land overtop of public land being private?

Typically bridges over navigable waters would be public. However, typically, those same bridges are roads with public right of ways. You obviously can't drive this bridge. So I don't know what that means for ownership. And beyond that, there's no question whatsoever that the actual land is private. Does that include the entrance/exits to the bridge? It could be that the bridge itself is public but that accessing it requires crossing private land?

In any case, at this point, outlining exactly what is public and what is private is beside the point. There's room to work with landowners to satisfy everyone before we start drawing lines in the sand and starting a war.

I was there two weeks ago and while crossing that section of the trail that was posted I ran into who I thought might have been the landowner. I spoke with him briefly and he said he was a good friend of the owner and was just walking down to check on his land. He told me exactly what Govtmule said; The guy does not mind the fisherman or trail users crossing his propery on the old railroad bed, he was upset about kids camping on his land and building fires and partying all night long.

I also noticed the adjacent land was posted for sale. The parcel just after crossing the bridge from the tunnel lot.

Ive been hearing about them posting the parking lot for a long time. The other guy across the bridge I had a feeling he would do something about posting I just had that feeling.

nothing wrong with posting it to keep the party kids out. and hey, it IS his land, he doesn't HAVE to let anyone through, but he seems like he doesn't mind fisherman, if so, we should be grateful to be allowed through.
for those that fish it often and use his land, get together, meet with him, tell him how appreciative you are, get him a case of beer, a gift certificate for somplace, or whatever. trust me, stuff like that goes a long ways, much further than thinking your entitled to cross his land just because you always have. Not saying that is the case here, but I've seen people act that way, some people just don't understand the word "private"!
maybe get in contact with PFBC about access in that area, maybe they will work with the landowners to come to some comprimise.

There is no easements in that area, it is all private. Getting PFBC to try is pretty much useless, that is why when they try and change rules landowners just get together and threaten to post it all. My friend that has a camp has been friends with the guy on the other side of the bridge and he told him he couldn't even access through his ground. They have been friends for a long time. He said it was nothing personal but he was shutting it down until he gets his point across to rails to trails and anyone else trying to use his ground. If he said you could walk through you should feel lucky.

All the ground is owned by private landowners,whom are all very easy to get along with and are more than willing to let you fish through. The problem is people abusing and taking advantage. You leta couple people park on your ground and the next thing you know they bring friends and you have a parking lot in your yard. If everyone would just use your head and common sense there would not be so many issues.RESPECT is all that is necessary.

I met the guy who owns the parking lot there a few years ago- not sure if it's the same guy who lives on the other side of the trestle though.
Anyway, he seemed like a very nice person, in spite of the fact that he was ticked off that day about somebody leaving a pile of trash in the lot - which we hauled out when we left.
He knows it's the local kids that are trashing the place - and seems quite amicable to fishermen

Back