Pop-up Camper

DaveS

DaveS

I dunno if this actually qualifies a fly fishing gear, but in my case it would be for fishing. Apologies to the mods if inappropriate.

I have been considering a pop-up camper for those longer weekend get always. The tent is just not as comfortable as I get older and it always seems to rain on my tent anyways.

Anybody have or have had one? What to look out for in a used camper. I have been checking Craigslist and some of the pop- ups are almost the same as the full sized compacts, price wise.

Any feedback or direction to good resourses is appreciated.

I use to have a popup and loved it because it was all the more I really need, but they become a hassle because of the time to setup. Plus if it rains, you have to set everything back up again to dry it out. Then you have to worry about rips in the canvas... I actually just upgraded to a smaller travel trailer that can be towed by most suvs. There is no setup involved, I just pull in and park it.

If you're looking at a used pop up camper, make sure if it uses cables to lift the top up that the cables are in good shape. Moldy canvas is a sign that it was not taken care of also. Make sure the wheel hubs are in good shape.

There are some very compact models on the market if it is for just one person. I've seen motorcycles pulling them. If I can find a link I will repost later.

Just a thought...

If you are looking for a camper, you probably have a truck or SUV to pull it, correct? If you do have a truck, what about a pap cap? I sleep in the back of my truck all the time. Its an elevated warmer than a tent dry place.

If youre not looking for anything other than that, its cheaper than a pop up camper and is less of a pain to store.

Put your gear in totes, stack em on 1 side of the bed, then throw a single air mattress in the bed and and snooze. You could get fancy and build a sleeping platform with storage drawers and things too.

Same goes for an SUV. My buddy has a 4Runner that you can comfortably sleep in as well with the seats folded down.

A small used already up trailer is about the same price as a used pop up and less hassle.

We had an old Jayco pop up for a season after years of tent camping. While it was nice to be off the ground, we found that it really wasn't much better in the rain, etc than a tent. We ended up getting a 13 foot fiberglass Scamp which we love.

Definitely check the canvas...when it rains they can get pretty wet and the inside can get quite humid.

Good information guys. Much appreciated.
Steveo, I had a cap on my last PU. It served the purpose, but I want a little more comfort. Plus, I'd end up sleeping next to my waders and that can be... Unsettling.

Might have to look closer at the " already up models".

Just rang up 500+ miles this weekend, just back a forth to one stream.

My neighbor is a camper dealer. Let me talk to him for ya. He wants an appraisal on a large lot of fly gear from his father's estate and to do a float trip with me. I'll try to leverage that to help on pricing ;)

poopdeck wrote:
A small used already up trailer is about the same price as a used pop up and less hassle.

I've had an owned every piece of camping gear from tents, to popups, to small campers, to fifth wheels, to motor coaches...the bluegrass festival circuit will test any equipment!

If your wife wants a shower, go with a big trailer. If you just want a bed, get a small Scotty or Airstream pull-behind.

Popups break too easy, are too light behind your car or truck when you pull them on the highway, are a pain to dry out (as someone said), and generally cause more grief than they're worth.

Then when you do realize you should've bought a hard shell, you can't sell the thing because no one wants a used one with the leak in the canvas that just happened last week.

as others have said don't go with a pop up. I sold my pop-up and went with a jayco swift slx hybrid camper and will never go back to a popup. I am setup in less than 10 minutes and that is because i have to have it level. Most times im ready in 5 min or less. I don't understand it but they are more affordable than some pop-ups and less hassle.

http://www.northsidervs.com/console/watermark.php?src=30160&width=980&height=630

I never really saw the advantage of a pop-up camper over a tent. And I mean a good tent, not a cheapo nylon dome.

You still gotta setup and take down. You still gotta put it back up to dry if it's wet. You don't gain space. You don't gain any comfort that an air mattress or good cot can't handle. All you gain are costs, storage issues, and transportation issues.

I understand the appeal of RV's and hard shell campers. But pop-up campers seem to manage to bring the problems of both tents and campers, without the benefits.

I'm a fan of canvas tents. I have a Kodiak Canvas. Vertical wall, can stand up and walk from corner to corner. 15 minutes to put up and 5 to take down. The major drawback is the dryness thing. Have to dry it completely before storage, which means putting it up in the yard. But a pop-up is the same way.

Pcray I see what you are saying but one advantage a pop-up has over a tent is you can store everything you need in a popup except food and clothes. They have nice storage features. That being said a hard camper I am able to shower if i like with ease and if it rains i don't have to go home and re-setup. They are really nice and easy with tons of storage. I keep everything i need in mine and when it's time to camp i fill the water tanks pack coolers and clothes and im gone.

Agreed on a hard camper. They have some issues too but there's no question there are advantages. A kitchen and private bathroom/shower rank right up there at the top. As well as no worries about drying stuff out after a rain. A refrigerator.

But a pop up tent camper gives you none of that. Maybe a fridge if so equipped.

Storing camping gear is a non issue to me. A plastic tote holds it all (grill, pans, dishes, bags, soap, etc.), and lives ready to go on a shelf in the basement. Then it's tent, cot, sleeping bag. Fishing gear of course. Aside from food/cooler and clothes, packing for a trip is a 10 minute job, max.

My biggest issue with a tent is getting it dried out at the end of a trip for storage. That's a pain. But again, a pop-up doesn't rid you of it. A hard camper does, and gives you a lot more.

I've yet to see a shower in a trailer that I would call enjoyable. My head actually protrudes up into the stupid dome window/vent above the showers. At least not in anything under 75k. I've camped in tents, slide in campers and large 5th wheels. This may sound weird but I prefer campground showers and a good porcelain toilet to any trailer bathroom that I can afford.

Back