Pine Creek

kobalt335

kobalt335

I'm camping at little pine this weekend and I'm planning to hit big pine early in the mornings. I have fished it in the spring for trout but never in the fall. Is it worth driving to slate run and fishing the c&r this time of year. Im not sure of the number of fish that hold over, and i also dont want to fish them if they are still stacked infront of feeder creeks.

I have no issues with fishing for smallies like i normally do there this time of year if the situation isn't ideal for trout.

With the recent cool down and the temps forecasted heading into this weekend, I think you'll be fine from a temps perspective. The Trout that are still there likely will have spread back out, especially if Pine catches some of this rain.

I don't think they will have done any stockings this Fall yet, but regardless, that stretch by Slate and Cedar will probably still hold the greatest concentration of Trout this time of year, other than way up in the headwaters above Galeton maybe. I'd probably fish near Slate and Cedar. I'm sure the Smallies will be around too, and you still may catch more of those and Fallfish than Trout, but I agree you're best chance for Trout will be in that stretch.

When I'm up in the Fall I usually fish between Slate and Cedar, or go into the Canyon at Tiadaghton. Less fish there probably, but I like the setting in the Canyon. I'm usually up in late September or early October, and usually catch more Smallies and Fallfish than Trout no matter where I fish on Pine at that time of year (other than way up above Galeton), but good fun either way.

Back