Parachute posts

tomgamber wrote:
I use foam on my parachute caddis. I can't find anything as bright white and they are hard enough to see.

parachute caddis?? never heard of one... care to share a pattern or pic?

Here ya go Ry. I know a guy that hammers the trout on these things.

E/C Caddis

ec_cad.jpg

Speaking of parachutes, how do you all wrap your hackle around the post... shiny side up, down, or don't pay attention? Dull/cup side down, i'd think the fly would sit higher as the hackle tips would offer support as opposed to cup side up/shiny side down where the fly and hackle would ride lower in the surface film...

Interesting. I like how he says from scuba diving that the typical palmerd EHC does not sit like a real caddis. Might have to incorporate a few of those in my box. I have a very basic caddis emerger that does pretty well fished in the riffles. Just nymph dubbing and elk hair on an emerger or scud hook. Anyone use the pattern above with good reports? Also Tom, do you tie one similar and use a post for better visability of the fly?

bam,

You pretty much have it.

Concave down and the fly sits higher (which I prefer) -- when you tie in the hackle, have the dull side face you.

Concave up, like a bowl, the fly rides lower --- tie in hackle with shiny side facing you.

concave down , that elk hair caddis parachute looks good , i never tied one as a parachute , only tied comparadun with elk hair and no parachute hackle , does the hackle matter or is it just to help it float better ?

Festus wrote:
Here ya go Ry. I know a guy that hammers the trout on these things.

E/C Caddis

ec_cad.jpg

That is a good pattern - I came up with one last night that I will post in here, somewhere, that is a pretty decent emerging caddis pattern ( I think).

Back