outer banks

Yeah, we'll be oceanfront as well, though south of the cape, so considerably warmer water in the surf, which likely changes up the species mix a bit. Clousers work anywhere for the piscavores, I'd imagine crab and shrimp patterns for the others. If you use a bait rig, wade out about knee deep, dig a big handful of sand, and the hard tickly things are large sand fleas. Put on hook, make sure rig doesn't allow them to dig, and catch croaker all day long.

I'd be ok with going from Oregon Inlet. And I have. But I don't have any loyalty to a marina, and if you're already down there then there's just no reason to come north. It's less than half the distance to the gulf stream from Hatteras when compared to Oregon Inlet. Even from OI, you can drive an hour, and cut off nearly an hour of boat transit time.

Just judging by reports, compared to OI, at that time of the year they seem to get a lot more wahoo out of Hatteras, and a few more dolphin and sailfish as well. Less tuna. Marlin is about the same.

Afish, probably only 10-15 miles offshore, not 60. The rest is accurate. :)

I've never chartered with these folks, but I know they'd get you on some feesh on the fly!

http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/

I watched their presentation, and chatted with Brian, at the fly fishing show in Somerset.

It's a possibility. Part of the year they're out of Beaufort, which is 4 1/2 hours away by car or car/ferry. The other part of the year they're out of Oregon Inlet, which is still over an hour, in the other direction. The outer banks is a BIG place. There's no lack of good captains anywhere. Unless we had to go that far north to accomodate someone, I'd prefer to stick to the marinas that operate out of the inlet between Hatteras and Ocracroke.

He did recommend a guy out of Hatteras if we wanted to do the inshore thing for Spanish.

Back