Oak Orchard, NY

Yes. GG

For some reason being a sponsor on here messes up PM's with people at times.

Just email me at risenflyco@yahoo.com

ryguyfi wrote:
For some reason being a sponsor on here messes up PM's with people at times.

Just email me at risenflyco@yahoo.com

Done. GG

Planning on heading up on Sept 21st with a rain date (meaning we need more rain) on Sept 28th. Looking forward to trying a new location.

My trip is all set for our usual weekend (first few days of November). I'm already stoked and need to start tying.

Fished the SR on Labor Day with the wife. Fish were moving into the river with a few pods moving upstream. Hooked into a few early and then again mid afternoon way up the river.

A 9' 8wt will rule the day.

Hey Risen they were catching a few cow-sized brownies on SR yesterday.

We are planning an Oak Orchard trip for the 13th of October for steelies if you are going to be around.

A couple of us were up on Saturday. The rains got fish actively running in the smaller tribs (we were on 18 mile for a while). We hit the Oak in the evening and only saw a few salmon. There will probably be salmon everywhere by next weekend, especially if we get more rain and lower temps.

I just read the regulations and it says you can start to fish a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset. Has it always been this way or am I mistaken that it was AT sunrise to AT sunset?

Been that way as long as I can remember.............but my memory is what it is...................

I've only fished NY 2 times before this so you are probably right.

We had a confrontation with some DSR employees on this reg last year and they almost kicked us out over it. If memory serves me right, we were within 30 min of sunup but they said it was at sunup. I could be wrong though. That was an interesting day on the DSR. Had a rough time with the "employees".

The DSR plays by their rules. Just like the "no killing trout" in the DSR.I always start to fish as soon as I can see on the DSR since they don't let the day pass holders go to the river until later than everyone else.

There is nothing in the DSR rules that I see (http://www.douglastonsalmonrun.com/Rules--Regs.aspx) in terms of start time that's any different from the NYS rules. I've not ever been bothered about when I start fishing since I'm not a season pass holder so I usually don't get down to the river until close to sun up. In any event, it's difficult to see to fish much earlier than that anyway, at least for me.

Anyone know if the St Mary's archer club's phone number is? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Ryan, I'm pretty sure there's no phone at the club. Or most likely nobody would answer it anyhow. Ron at Orleansoutdoors can most likely answer any questions you have about the club. I'd call him and ask away.

Thanks. Lent a pair of waders to someone in my group....... and they left them there.

If anyone heads up soon I would appreciate a PM. Someone from our group left a lot of gear up there and we haven't been able to track it down. It was most likely left in the archers parking lot. So if you are planning on parking there I'd appreciate it if you could ask around to see if it's still there.

Always hope...

Ryan, check with Jim Shambaugh of luv2fish lake ontario charters. He is at the club just about every day. Check his website and get his phone number off there. If there is anything at the club, he will know about it...........good luck BTW I won't get up there until the 20th of Oct. here is his info: https://sites.google.com/a/luv2fishlakeontario.com/luv2fish/about-us

Thanks for the info Biggie.

Things have been crazy lately, but luckily I got out for a day of fishing a few weekends ago. I recruited my father in law, his brother, my brother in law and a friend of mine to head to Oak Orchard to chase after some early season kings. We headed out Friday night and planned to hit Erie, Pa on the way and luck into some steel and break up the drive a bit. As I quote "the movie" "there are 2 things you're never late for, fishing and church". Well the cars pulled up at my house about 45 minutes late and by the time we got up to Erie to scout out the streams it was nearly dark. There wasn't much water in the streams anyway and we spotted about 2 total fish on 2 of the mile streams. They've improved since, but Erie still needs a bunch of rain to get things moving.

We woke at 5:15 on Saturday and headed to the Archer's lot. I love and hate fishing new streams. It's great to see new places but you're basically shooting from the hip on where to go. There were about a dozen guys in the run right by the parking lot so we decided to head downstream. Bad idea. Stream got big, and the few small runs down there had guys already in them. Ohh, btw, my father in law and his brother have next to no fly fishing experience, so I lent them rods and reels, and 1 pair of waders and boots (to be continued...) So I made sure they tagged along so I can see their faces when they finally hook into one of these monster kings.

I decided to head up to the circus that I kept hearing about by the dam. We worked our way upstream and I slowly started seeing a few fish here and there. It was still early but the fish were pretty few and far between. I saw the dam and found a nice pod of fish. I got a nice hook up within the first half hour I was there. He dogged me in the current for about 5 minutes and then decided to have his way with me. He ran me downstream, into my backing and broke me off.

The next few hours were very uneventful. We grabbed lunch, I continued to fish and we all crowded around a solid 100 yard stretch to drift over some fish. I finally found a nice king sitting just below the surface in a run and he hit about the 4th swing on a streamer. Took a solid 15 minutes or more to land him, but finally got one in. It was the only fish of the trip for the 5 of us and 1 guy didn't get a hookup.

My wife enjoyed the fish I brought home last year so I told her I'd bring more home this year. She's got a pretty good recipe with a onion and avocado salsa on top.

We headed back to the car around 7pm and drove home after getting some grub and the fish filleted. When we got home I went to collect my gear and we were missing a few things. My neoprene waders and boots I lent out, 1 hip boot, and 1 vest. Needless to say I wasn't happy, but things happen. Made some calls and never found anything. The good news, is that my father in law and his brother are hooked and are already planning another trip up there soon. My wife is due in 2.5 weeks with our son so I won't be doing much fishing at all this Fall, but that's OK by me.

Ryan

Sweet fish Ryan. Nice that your persistence paid off.

Back