New to fly fishing

Z

zgrsk269

I’ve been reading multiple threads on the forum for a few weeks now and I’m just confused on some areas. I recently started fly fishing and would like to go out before work to practice my casting and all. The closest creek to me is Fishing Creek, in Columbia county, but that’s still about a 45 minute drive for me. Can anyone tell me if I can access this creek LEGALLY and if it’s safe for me to go out on the water and practice my casting, stripping, etc. Not looking for specific coordinates on your honey holes, just in general if I can climb into the water and practice (and hopefully catch a fish or two). Like I said been reading different threads about riparian laws, lawsuits that are going on, navigable vs non navigable. I just want to try to learn in peace without being confronted or anything. Thank you all!

If you are just trying to work on your casting almost any creek would work. I am sure that you can find one closer to you that should not be a problem.

I hunt and hike a lot and one thing I use all the time is the ONX mapping app on my phone. It shows you who owns the land, access points, trails, pretty much anything you need to know. I think the basic for one state is $35/year.

If you are just working on casting an stripping, you may get less frustrated as a beginner with pond or lake. the still water will be much more kind to your pick-up and you will able to see whats going on a little easier. If you're working on your drift and presentation, then you'll need moving water. If that still water has bluegill, you'll have a lot more fun learning too.

you could always practice in your yard rather then a 45 min drive. thats how i learned the basics. i just didnt have a fly on the end of leader. i built my confidence up and then hit the water. just something to think about. enjoy the sport and good luck!

Grass doesn't give you surface tension for your pick up. You can haul and false cast but pick it up and toss it in one motion like on water. I think that's why some get discouraged learning in the yard. And forget about a roll cast.

If you have a creek nearby (which you probly do) that has chubs or fallfish in it, i would start there. I learned to do alot of my casting in my yard by taking a junk fly and cutting the hook off. A park with a pond would do wonders also. Again, just cut the hook off and it doesnt matter whats inside. They also sell practice tools to help.

Grass doesn't give you surface tension for your pick up. You can haul and false cast but pick it up and toss it in one motion like on water. I think that's why some get discouraged learning in the yard. And forget about a roll cast.
The other thing about grass casting is that it can ruin a good fly line. It’s abrasive and can cut and scratch the coating. I do a lot of casting practice on grass but I use old lines. I also have just a dedicated casting line that has similar taper to the lines I fish most often. Grass cast lines will not float or mend as well.

I hunt and hike a lot and one thing I use all the time is the ONX mapping app on my phone. It shows you who owns the land, access points, trails, pretty much anything you need to know. I think the basic for one state is $35/year.
Yup I have it for hunting. That’s where I started to look. I am just getting confused on the riparian laws of it all. I spoke with PFBC and the rep I spoke to basically said it’s a gray area and you CAN get in trouble if they own both sides, because you need to prove it’s navigable etc etc. I said all I want to do is stand in a spot, practice throwing my line out and hopefully catching a fish to make me happy. Lmao.

you could always practice in your yard rather then a 45 min drive. thats how i learned the basics. i just didnt have a fly on the end of leader. i built my confidence up and then hit the water. just something to think about. enjoy the sport and good luck!
I have been doing this as well. Figured if I can maybe get a fish or two (c&r) plus practicing it would make me feel a little better about what I’m practicing. I just don’t want no legal issues from anything.

The other thing about grass casting is that it can ruin a good fly line. It’s abrasive and can cut and scratch the coating. I do a lot of casting practice on grass but I use old lines. I also have just a dedicated casting line that has similar taper to the lines I fish most often. Grass cast lines will not float or mend as well.
I use an old leader for when I am practicing my grass casting. I’ve read that it’s not the best for practicing but I tried finding closer streams/creeks (I have some, just shallow and narrow) so I figured I pass by fishing creek in my travels. I just figured I’d try that out. When I googled it and looked up on the forum I saw people were having issues up there so I didn’t want to waste my time getting chased off.

I tried to do an analysis of my various fly lines alternating each one on each of my three 5 wts, a 4 wt, and then just compared how my 3 wt compared.
I placed paper plates at 20', 30' and 40', took 10 casts each with a line then rotated that same line to the other rods. Then picked the next rod, etc. Not sure how scientific this was. I was surprised how my Orvis Clearwater 3 wt compared. I think I favored the more medium rods. My Orvis Clearwater 5 wt felt like a broomstick when I got to it. A couple of times a breeze blew the line off so I did discount those particular casts.
Let me know what you think about this experiment. The Rio Creek line stood out as pretty heavy, good for long casts. Not sure if the Orvis Hydros line is true to wt or 1/2 line heavy, cannot find the specs on it.
and repeated.
Screenshot 2024 05 26 at 71612AM
Screenshot 2024 05 26 at 71621AM

There are many places on Fishing creek where you can access without any problem.
Kocher Park is just above Lightstreet. That's really close to 80 if that's how you're passing through.
Right in Benton, there is a small park along the creek - I don't know the name of it.
Above Benton a little ways is Camp Lavigne, which is or used to be a Boy Scout camp.
There are other places, too, but I haven't been there is a while so I'm not sure of the present situation. If you drive along the creek, it's frequently obvious where other folks access the creek and that is generally pretty safe.
A good resource for general access information is the PFBC fishing map
The PFBC only stocks stream sections that have some public access, so look for the stocked stream sections on the map and that should guide you to areas where you can fish without a problem. - keep in mind, though that within these stocked sections, there may be posted areas covering small portions of the section. But generally, if it's a stocked section, and it's not posted, and it appears others use it regularly, you're going to be fine.
'

Can’t think of a single location 45 min away from Fishing Creek (yes even the Columbia county one) that doesn’t have equal or better places to practice close by. Check the PFBC’s lists of class A or nat reproduction trout waters online- I’ll bet there’s one 10-15min from you.

Failing that, hell just go to the river. Gonna buck the trend and say practicing casting for river fly fishing on still water is no more useful than casting on your lawn. Get out someplace with a current and learn how to choose a lane, manage your slack, hit a target and eliminate drag.

Also feel free to send me a private message, we can sort you out a few spots without burning them to the internet at large.

Last edited:
Casting over yard grass is easier than water, but it has a big advantage in that it is always close to home.

Also, focus on your roll cast at least as much as your back cast. Roll cast is more important than any other in our part of the world.

You can practice on your lawn and not worry about damaging your line. Just take a garden hose and wet the grass. This provides extra lubricant so the line slides through it much easier. Also you can learn some basic roll casting on your lawn. Just tie a weight on the end of your leader. I use a 1/4 bank sinker or a plastic casting plug at my schools. It is not 100% the same do to water friction but it will help you get started

Your motivation to develop your casting skills admirable.
Some great advise here w prev posts.

IMHO....screw the " on water" practice.
Just go fish.
Learn a knot or two.
Just get started.
Tie on a fly.
Avoid getting overloaded... drys, nymphs, streamers.

Choose one.

Go fish the same water, with the same rig, maybe half dozen times.
Chances r ....u can figure it out.

Prioritize learning about Roll Casts & Water Loading Casts.
Fish equal time both upstream & downstream
Concentrate casting time delivering fly parallel and about 3ft from shore,
...rather than perpendicular to shore.
The "foam line conveyor belt" of what the fish r eating will b found here.

This approach should enhance your success, and confidence.

Connect with a fly shop & guide to further improve your skills.

Last edited:
Back